JISD Library Services Newsletter
2021 Summer Reading Edition
Digital E-Books & Audiobooks
Sora Sweet Reads
Sync Audiobooks for Teens
Read Woke Rumble
The competition will be made up of two parts; a quick-fire, quiz-style competition over 5 pre-selected books followed by big picture questions about Read Woke books. Students will be required to use evidence from any of the books they read to support or refute the chosen statement in a UIL impromptu style response. There is not a required number of books that should be read, but the more you read, the better!
The pre-selected titles below may be found in print at your school library, in Sora in e-book and audiobook formats (using the San Antonio Public Library partnership for some titles), and in print at SAPL.
The 5 pre-selected books are:
Before the Ever After by Jacqueline Woodson
Turtle Under Ice by Juleah del Rosario
They Called Us Enemy by George Takai, Justin Eisinger, Steve Scott
Fat Chance Charlie Vega by Crystal Maldonado
How it all Blew Up by Arvin Ahmadi
The Read Woke criteria are titles that:
- Challenge a social norm
- Tell the side of the oppressed
- Provide information about a group that has been disenfranchised
- Seek to challenge the status quo
- Shed light on an issue that many may not perceive as being an issue
Summer Library @ Miller's Point
Rocket Library Summer Fun
*Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
Dynamic Journal Club
Do you like drawing and being artistic? Do you enjoy writing? If you answered “YES” to both, then you will enjoy being a part of the stress-free Dynamic Journal Club. Each Wednesday at noon we will get together virtually to share and chat about our journals. You will be given FUN prompts that will encourage you to write, draw, collect, play and wreck your journal. You will see journaling differently as you learn a creative, fun, and interactive way to record your summer.
JISD Summer Book Clubs
Challenge a social norm.
Tell the side of the oppressed
Provides information about a group that has been disenfranchised.
Seeks to challenge the status quo.
Shed light on an issue that many may not perceive as being an issue.
To enter your titles, click on your school below.
Battle of the Books
The purpose of the Battle of the Books is to expose our students to fifteen diverse, fun, and engaging titles. Click on the button below to see the list for the 2021-2022 Challenge. All of the titles are available in Sora!
City-Wide Reading Initiatives
San Antonio Public Library
How does Summer with SAPL work for Kids?
This summer is special - you get to set your own goal! Fill your bucket with the books you read and the fun things you do this summer.
- Starting June 1, kids 0-12 years old can visit any San Antonio Public Library to register and get a Summer with SAPL guide. If you can't wait to get started, download a Children's Summer Bucket or use any piece of paper to write down or draw what you do this summer.
- Use the space in and around the bucket to record what you do this summer! This could be the titles of books you read (or listen to), library programs you attend, or any other activity you think makes your summer great.
- Some children may receive the guide from their school or another community partner. If so, great! Just let our staff know so we can register you.
- Starting July 1, contact your library to make arrangements to pick up your certificate and completion package.
They have programs for children, teens, and adults. Click HERE to find out more information.
From Monday, April 26 to Friday, September 3 kids can participate in the Scholastic Summer Reading Program where they will be encouraged to read, celebrate their achievements and help increase access to books for their peers.
By creating an account on Home Base, kids can join a community of readers and will be able to read books and stories; attend weekly author events; interact with their favorite characters; play book-based games and activities; join dance parties; and more!
Scholastic's Summer Listening
Find and download the audiobooks HERE.
Learn more HERE.
Pizza Hut's Book It!
Learn more and enroll HERE to earn your free personal pan pizza!
Chuck E. Cheese Rewards Calendar
Click HERE for more information.
Capstone Virtual Camp Adventure
Coming May 31! The official choice boards for each 2-week theme. Each choice board includes links to various activities and a selection of free Capstone Interactive eBooks that support the theme. Access to the eBooks expires at the end of the summer.
- Virtual Summer Camp Adventure is a twelve-week virtual camp with six bi-weekly themes around Tales and Tails, the national summer reading campaign. We will celebrate fairy tales, zoo animals, pets, graphic novels, sports tales, and others that all readers will love.
- Each camp theme will have a special choice board filled with reading, learning, making, outside adventures, exercise, cooking, and more.
- 20 FREE Capstone Interactive eBooks per theme. That is 120 FREE eBooks for summer reading.
Click the image below to go to the website.
Virtual Literacy Opportunities
Adventure Awaits Wakelet (Activities & Resources for All Ages)
Draw Everyday with Jarrett Krosoczka Series on YouTube (author of Lunch Lady) from 2020
Jarrett Lerner Activities (author & illustrator) from 2020
Lunch Doddles with Mo Willems (Pigeon series, Knuffle Bunny, and Elephant & Piggie series) from 2020