Leading the Way
March 2020 Principal Practice
Encourage your teachers to enjoy their break! Share some fun ideas...
Instructional Leader Update
Stay up to date with all instructional HB3 Reading Academies and early childhood elements by signing up for the Teaching and Learning listserve. Sign up by emailing email@example.com
Region 6 Teaching and Learning Department
The following new Texas Education Agency Correspondence has been posted at the TEA website:
- 26 Texas Schools Nominated for 2020 National Blue Ribbon Honors
- TEA is Closely Monitoring Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
TEA: Question of the week-
Can a campus be identified for targeted support and additional targeted support simultaneously?
A campus may receive only one label. Based on the campus’ outcomes in the Closing the Gaps domain, the agency identifies comprehensive support and improvement schools. Then, those campuses that were not identified for comprehensive support and improvement are evaluated for targeted support and improvement. Lastly, those campuses that were not identified for comprehensive or targeted are evaluated for additional targeted support.
Other Important Information
Monthly Checklist Reminders
Survey teachers on their intentions for returning next year and requests for teaching assignment
Contract preparation for certified staff
Discuss staff concerns with central office (possible non-renewal)
Create staff climate survey/needs assessment
Complete T-TESS observations
Work with district personnel on recruitment of highly qualified teachers
Create tentative roster of next year’s classroom assignment
Get dates set: Planning for end-of-year special events Graduation Academic awards Concerts Picnics
Instructional program planning for next year -Scheduling- School calendar - Student pre-registration - Orientation planning - Pre-school screenings - Work on faculty and student handbooks
- INSTRUCTIONAL SUPPORT:
Student retention monitoring
Encourage teachers to share their practice during professional learning time
Check in with struggling teachers. Offer emotional support as well as coaching
- MORAL BOOSTER: It's good to do something when they get back from Spring Break to build a strong positive environment when things get so stressful in the spring
- Reach out to parents about attendance or academic concern
- Plan a parent night for Spring State Testing informative meeting to share information about testing and accountability
High School & Junior High/Middle School
- Eligibility Extra-curricular drug testing AD meets with all winter sport coaches AD contacts all scheduled opponents and officials to verify contract information Finalize all athletic/fine arts transportation schedules Check to make sure all arrangements are done for athletics…transportation, eligibility, physicals, insurance waivers, etc. Prom check to make sure things are progressing College planning for seniors College planning for juniors Fine arts special events
Professional Development Opportunities
June 28-July 1st at South Shore Harbour Conference resort in Kemah, Texas.
Have you booked your hotel room?
Our rooms at SSH are booked, but we have two more hotels close by. Please see the SLC website for the contact information.
Have you selected your activities and completed the SLC registration form?
At this time only 34 people have registered for the conference. Attached you will find directions. Please visit the SLC website to select your activities and complete the registration form.
text @esc6leader to the number 81010