Kickemuit Middle School
Husky Highlights: March 2, 2020
Hello KMS Families!
Happy March! Here are some events you can expect to happen this month:
- SurveyWorks for Families to complete
- Rhode Island Student Support Survey
- 8th Grade course selections are due!
- ALL Band & ALL Chorus concerts!
Please review the information below and let us know if you have any questions.
Your KMS Administration Team
Dr. Rosemary Burns | Grade 8 Administrator
Mr. David Patota | Grade 7 Administrator
Mrs. Michelle Clifford | Grade 6 Administrator
Mr. Frank DeVall Jr. | Dean of Students
List of Information & Reminders included in this Newsletter
- 2020 Statewide survey! Take it Today: KMS Code 96112Family
- Rhode Island Student Survey (RISS) | March 23rd
- Save those Memories! Order your KMS 2020 Yearbook Today!
- Masquers | Rehearsals!
- After School Clubs | Coding, Science Olympiad, Math Tutoring, STAAND, Mentoring & Spring Robotics
- KMS Community Service Club Annual Bake-off!!
- 8th Graders: Mt Hope Course Selection Sheets due March 9th!
- "Beyond the Bag" Plastic Recycling Competition: We have collected 15lbs of plastic!
- KMS PTO Updates
- School Store: Now open every other on Fridays! Great Items!
- Athletics Updates | New Info on Spring sports!!
- Recycle your gently used | Middle School Level | Books to the KMS Reading Dept!
- Notes from Nurse Welchman | Info. for student entering 7th & 8th Grade in 2020-21
- Free & Reduced Lunch Program!
- All Band Concert & All Chorus Concerts!
- KMS Little FREE Library!
In Our District
- Attn: 8th Graders Families | Mt Hope 2020-2021 Program of Studies Community Presentation
- Mr. Mt. Hope | March 5th
- Bee Amazed at the 12th Annual Bee!
- Kindergarten Registration is now open!
In Our Community!
- Warren Prevention Coalition | BINGO @ Mohegan Sun!- Adults
- King Phillip Little League Spring Baseball & Softball Info
- PPAC Art Scholarship | Deadline February 28th
- Bristol Youth Flag Football open to K-6 Girls and Boys: NEW DATES
- Yoga for Teens! | Bristol Parks & Rec.
- Bristol Youth Soccer Association | Spring Sign ups
- Rogers Free Library | Teen Space
1. Statewide School Survey | Take the Survey Today!
2. Rhode Island State Survey (RISS)
The town of Bristol/Warren has received a grant from the Department of Behavioral Health, Developmental Disabilities and Hospitals (BHDDH), to continue strengthening Bristol/Warren’s capacity to address youth substance abuse. A requirement of this grant is that the school collects survey information about substance use attitudes and behaviors from high /middle school students. This survey is scheduled to be administered to students during the 2019-2020 school year between February and June of 2020. KMS will be taking the survey March 23rd.
Please complete the permission slip attached if you DO NOT want your student to participate in the survey. The form will also be coming home with your student as well.
4. Masquers | Rehearsal Dates
Here is the rehearsal schedule for this week:
- Rehearsals will take place EVERY DAY THIS WEEK from 2 - 4 PM
- CAST is expected to be here every day as we plan to begin full run-throughs, in addition to learning new songs and dances.
- CREW must also attend daily beginning this week as we'll begin backstage training and work on costumes, props, and sets.
- Regular attendance is VERY IMPORTANT from now on - 14 rehearsals until opening night!
5. After School Activities & Clubs
NO CODING CLUB THIS WEEK (MARCH 4th)
NO Practice this Wednesday 3/4 | Normally held on Wednesdays & Thursdays
The Math Tutor Program
The Math Tutor Program has begun and is held on Tuesdays. Students will meet in room 146 at 2:00PM. It is not too late to join. If interested email email@example.com.
STAAND | Students Taking Action Against Negative DecisionsSTAAND meets every two weeks on Tuesdays! Next meeting: March 10th
Do you want to join the Spring Robotics Club? Come to Mrs. Wirth's room 43 on Tuesday, February 25th after school from 2-3:00. This is your chance as a beginner in Robotics to learn to build and program. Come to build fun creations. Any questions? Talk to Mrs. Wirth.
There will be a mentoring meeting on Thursday, March 19th in room 132. If you are not able to attend please notify Ms. Ryone.
6. KMS Community Service Annual Bake-off | March 12th | 2-3PM
Questions? email Mr. Grifka @ firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Mt Hope Course Selection Sheets Due March 4th!
8th Graders will have the opportunity to visit Mt Hope this Spring.
Mt Hope will be having a community presentation on March 3rd @ MHHS on next years Program of Studies.
8. "Beyond the Bag" Plastic Recycling Competition | A Win-Win-Win Situation!
UPDATE: Throughout the month of January our KMS community collected over 15 pounds of plastic. This program runs from American Recycles day in November to Earth Day in April. Thank you to all have participated and keep collecting.
A WIN-WIN-WIN SITUATION
When you donate your unwanted plastic materials to KMS not only are you helping to keep thousands of pounds of waste out of landfills, you're also helping us to continue to create beautiful and environmentally responsible outdoor products.
Drop off bins in the front foyer | Contact - Molly.Scarborough@bwrsd.org with questions
10. Reminder: School Store open on Fridays during lunch!
11. KMS Athletics | Spring Sports INFO below!
Please see Spring Sports info on graphics below!
Spring Sports offered: Baseball, Softball, Boys & Girls Track, Club Lacrosse & Intramural Tennis/Volleyball
- All students must have be signed up on Family ID, have a RIPCOA risk form and current physical on file with the nurse in order to participate or try out.
- Club LAX is run by the Parent Group & requires special insurance that can be purchased at USlacrosse.org. Check out LAX site for FAQ https://www.kmslax.com/
- Baseball/Softball fields open as early as April 1st. Practices are at Colt State Park once the fields are open, from 2:30-4:30PM
- All schedules will be on RIPCOA.Org or Mthopehuskies.com closer to the start of the season.
12. Recycle your gently used | Middle School Level | Books to the KMS Reading Dept!
13. Wash your hands! | Notes from Nurse Welchman
To better understand when and where influenza activity is occurring, to monitor influenza-related illness, outbreaks, hospitalizations, and to determine circulating and emerging influenza virus strains please contact the School Nurse if your child has the flu and/or tests positive for the flu.
Thank you for your attention to this important health announcement.
Questions or concerns you can contact me @ 401-245-2010 Ext 2009
Erin Welchman M.Ed, BSN, RN, RICSNT
Kickemuit Middle School
525 Child Street
Warren, RI 02885
Tel. 401-245-2010 Ext 2009
14. Free & Reduced Lunch Program!
15. All Band & Chorus Concerts!
16. KMS Little Free Library!
Mt. Hope Teacher Ryan Garrity oversaw the Engineering/Design Process and Mt. Hope Teacher Joe Bartoshevich oversaw the Construction/Production. Maintenance staff delivered and installed the Little Free Libraries.
The LFL near the inside near the KMS Library is from the districts pilot project and
the one outside of the building near the main entrance is a part of an Eagle Scout Project.
AROUND THE DISTRICT
2. Mr. Mt. Hope | March 5th @ 6PM
3. Bee Amazed at the 12th Annual Bee!
If any parents wish to attend with the KMS PTO, please email email@example.com
4. Kindergarten Registration is now open!
The Bristol Warren Regional School District will begin registering age-eligible children for kindergarten. According to Rhode Island State law all children must be 5 years of age on or before September 1, 2020 to be eligible to register for kindergarten. All kindergartens are full day programs.
IN OUR COMMUNITY
1. BINGO @ Mohegan Sun | Adults Only | Warren Prevention Coalition
2. KPLL Spring Baseball & Softball
3. Bristol Youth Flag Football SIGN UPS ARE OPEN: Updated Dates!
4. Yoga for Teens by Teens!
5. Bristol Youth Soccer Association (BYSA) Spring Sign ups!
The BYSA Spring 2020 Developmental (Recreational) Soccer Registration is open. The program is an eight-week season with the first games played on Sunday April 19th and runs through June 7th. Games are played on Sunday afternoons (no games Memorial Day weekend).
Please use this link to register:
All games will take place at the Bristol Town Beach & Sports Complex.
Players will receive a t-shirt and training session one night per week and games on Sunday.