Geothermal Energy For Houses
By : Mustafa Ali
What does Geothermal mean ?
The word Geothermal comes from 2 Greek words Geo and Therm . Geo means Earth and Therm means heat from the Earth.
Where is it Found ?
The distance to the center of the earth is approximately 4000 miles and it is so hot that it is molten. There is a type of rock which becomes molten and it is called Magma. Magma is just below the thin layer of the Earth that layer is called Crust. And Igneous rocks are formed from the solidification of molten rock material. Mostly some of the geothermal areas are found near volcanos or earthquaes because this is where the major plate boundries are located
Where can Geothermal Energy be used ?
- Energy For Houses
- Energy For Farming
- Energy For Industry
- Energy for Infrastructure
Ways to use Geothermal Energy ?
- Direct Geothermal Energy
- Geothermal Heat pump
- Geothermal Power Plant
- Dry steam plant
- Flash steam Plant
- Binary cycle Plant
Most Common Geothermal Systems in Houses
How is Geothermal energy used in houses ?
First of all a house uses a geothermal heat pumpwhich both cools and heats the house,or a direct geothermal energy which only keeps the house warm . The major parts of the geothermal pump is an underground loop which is a heating pipe and a heating despencer.A deep hole is dug to place the pipes it is important to dig deep to reach the right amount of energy is supplied .
Geothermal Heating And Cooling
Pros And Cons Of Geothermal Energy
- Geothermal Energy is Renewable form of energy as long as Earth lives
- No fuel is needed during the process
- There is an abundant supply of energy so no shortages of energy or other problems
- Provides heating and cooling
- Significant savings for homeowners up-to 70% reduction of house electricity bills and heating and cooling too.
- Geothermal energy is green and good for the environment
- It is only suitable to specific places like in rural areas
- project cost is up to $25000
- Geothermal energy is infamous for causing earthquakes
- Geothermal energy uses a lot water and emits different kinds of harmful compounds.
- Temperature needed up to 176.667 degree Celsius
- Must have a pool/pond available for ground loop
Environmental Impacts of Geothermal Energy
- There is a lot of water usage in geothermal energy and for this process the people use dirty water for the cooling of the pipes
- In some cases harmful gases are emitted
- In building a geothermal plant there is a lot of land usage