Summerour Blue Devil Blast
Volume 2, Issue 23 - January 13, 2023
Dr. Looney's Message
- January 14 - Basketball vs. Jones MS
- January 14 - Sem 1 Grades in ParentVUE/StudentVUE
- January 16 - Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - No School
- January 17 - County Begins Mailing Report Cards
- January 19 - All State MS Chorus Auditions
- January 19 - Basketball vs. Twin Rivers
- January 19 - ESOL Parent Night @ Norcross Public Library
- January 19 - 6th Orchestra Winter Concert
- January 20 - GSMST Registration Deadline
- January 21 - Basketball vs North Gwinnett MS
- January 21 - Soccer vs. Northbrook MS
- January 26 - Basketball vs. Hull MS
- January 28 - Basketball vs. Lilburn MS
- January 28 - Soccer vs. Lilburn MS
- February 3 - Digital Learning Day #3
- February 3 - Semester 2 Progress Reports Go Home
- February 4 - Soccer @ Sweetwater MS
- February 6-10 - National School Counseling Week
- February 14 - St. Valentine's Day
- February 15 - GCPS County Basketball Tournament
- February 16, 17, 20 - No School - GCPS Student Holiday
Mr. Kendall Jones, Teacher of the Month
His colleagues on the 7th grade teams want to make sure you know, he's one of our phenomenal 7th grade teachers.
Thanks for all your hard work, Mr. Jones!
SummerOUR Intramurals Starting Back Up
We are happy to offer an intramural program here at Summerour Middle School!
The Intramural program will run from Tuesday January 17th-Thursday March 23rd and is intended to provide fun, interactive activities for all students. Activities offered depend on students’ interests (let us know what you want to play) and include, but are not limited to, soccer and basketball.
There is no charge for this program. If any problems with behavior occur, students will be verbally warned and if problems continue, the student will be excused from the program.
Permission Form Below
Mr. Lenie George
6th Grade Assistant Principal
Ms. Pam Griswell
6th Grade Counselor
Mr. Stacy James
7th Grade Assistant Principal
Ms. Yunilda Valdez
7th Grade Counselor
8th Grade Counselors:
Robin Blackwell, Robin.Blackwell@gcpsk12.org
Kimberly Blackshear, Kimberly.Blackshear@gcpsk12.org
8th Grade Assistant Principal:
Christy Gray, Christian.Gray@gcpsk12.org
8th Grade Clerk:
Faby Silva, Faby.Silva@gcpsk12.org
New Semester: New Connections
Summerour Science Fair Results
Thank you to OUR science teachers for working hard with students. It was evident from OUR Science Fair projects that students worked hard, but also that teachers have worked very hard in guiding students.
A big shout out to judges for judging projects and supporting young scientists. The science fair was not possible without you! It was evident that SUMMEROUR FAMILY is always there for students.
Please congratulate following students for their success in Science Fair:
- First Place - Ferris Wheel - Shelby R., Veronica M. (Griscti)
- Second Place - Bridges - Isabella S., Andrea H. (Griscti)
- Third Place - Oxidizing Pennies - Nabil Z., Alex R., Taylor M., Jessy V. (Jabeen)
- First Place - Spherifying Liquids - Nuha G. (George)
- Second Place - Dissolving Skittles - Joseguillermo P., Jahreem W. (Frank)
- Third Place - Energy of the Wind - Jayko E., Wilberth M., Byron M. (Mijares)
- First Place - Solar Powered Water Desalinization - Avani S., Johnathan N., Ben T. (Beg)
- Second Place - Drought Tolerant Grass Water Retention - Abram P., Jason O., Isabella T. (Beg)
- Third Place - Hydropower to Lift a Load - Keilin R., Jasmin R., Samantha B. (Beg)
- Third Place - Inflation & Poverty - Kilsy V., Andrea A., Ailyn D. (Beg)
January IB Learner Profile: Open-Minded
IB Learners understand and appreciate their own cultures and personal histories, and are open to the perspectives, values and traditions of other individuals and communities. They are accustomed to seeking and evaluating a range of points of view, and are willing to grow from the experience.
IB students have a deep understanding of various cultures and views, bringing an appreciation of new views to both their academic study and their involvement in local and wider communities. Their international mindedness complements the missions of the best tertiary institutions.
Covid Surveillance Testing
Summerour is still hosting weekly Covid surveillance testing on Thursday afternoons. If you'd like to sign your child up, use this form to sign up.
Our Parent Center is located on our first floor, so it's easy to get to. Come check in at the front office, then use the Parent Center to volunteer, check-out resources, and get engaged!
More information is on our website, or you can reach out to Rosanna Carlson, our Parent Instructional Support Coordinator.
Have You Tried the Apps?
Parents can use this if they have a Parent Portal account. It's an app that makes it much easier to quickly access the portal and navigate student grades, absences, etc...
We strongly encourage you to use this if you have a portal account. If you don't have a portal account, come to the school and set one up.
If you are using either of these apps, but it quit working in September of 2022, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. There was a major update last month that requires this.