The Flat World Vs. You
By: Tony Rodriguez
How to win the fight you never knew you were in
The Flat World? Where?
The Flat World is a concept that infers that the competition in the job market has been leveled on an international scale. No longer are coworkers in the next cubicle but on the other side of the world.
Skills and things to have to round those corners
''He's Liked but no well liked''
Like in Death of a Salesman, when it comes down to the recipe of success Willy Loman suggests, ''he's liked but not well liked'' basically meaning that success is won over by being a people person whose company is enjoyed. Showing the lighter side of yourself with a firm handshake and a smile will attract the employers interest, adding that extra edge. Questions that are highly considered when hiring an employee are that of concerns of the social environment in the work setting, whether the employee will integrate with the rest of the staff.
Word of Mouth
The word of mouth approach to obtaining a job is not uncommon. Being referred by a proficient employee skips all general worry of a potential employee. However, being referred by a friend or an acquaintance puts them at risk if expectations are not met. So in turn, being seen as having the work ethic and knowledge by the referrer will make the chances of being referred a higher possibility. Network as much as possible, preferably during a learning setting where your skills and work ethic can be displayed.
Hi my name is ________
- A key advantage to being prepared in an interview is asking yourself the hard hitting questions that could possibly be asked.
- Overdressing is never frowned upon when it concerns the interview attire, wearing the full piece helps.
- Preform prior research of the company to encompass an indepth understanding of who you are trying to work for and to stay on your toes for trick questions that could possibly be thrown out there.
All in all
- Finding that dream job that glimmers in the end of the tunnel may never actually be obtained in reality, so keep your options open.
- When met with denial, never end your hunt there, stay persistent in your search and your cast net will eventually catch something.