UA/UWA Regional In-Service Center
Thank you for participating in our recent needs assessment! The information provided was invaluable to regional planning, and the results were recently shared at our September 24 Governing Board meeting.
Please be sure to check out the updates below regarding PowerSchool; we have received several inquiries and want you to have the latest updates. Dr. Robert Mayben and I will be happy to assist you in training teachers to access the site; this could be easily be accomplished during planning periods or school faculty meetings.
As a reminder, you may find any of our newsletters at: http://inservice.ua.edu/newsletter. Also, continue to check out our social media pages on Facebook (@uainservice) and Twitter (@UofARIC). If you need additional information or would like to discuss specific plans for support for your school or district, I am happy to assist you at 205-348-6951 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Holly Morgan
Director, UA/UWA Regional In-Service Center
October SHOUT OUT!
The UA/UWA Regional In-Service Center recently held its Fall Governing Board Meeting on Tuesday, September 24, at the Hale County College and Career Academy. Thank you to Superintendent Ryans for hosting this meeting and serving as our Governing Board Chair.
Key Leaders Network West: Session #1
On September 26, the UA/UWA Regional In-Service Center held the first session of Key Leaders Network West, in partnership with the Alabama Best Practices Center. This year's network is studying 10 Mindframes for Visible Learning: Teaching for Success by John Hattie and Klaus Zierer.
September 26, 2019
A total of 54 participants from throughout the region, and guests from other regions, attended our first session.
October SHOUT OUT!
Key Leaders Network West: Session #1
We are so happy to be supporting all of our teams through this continual cycle of learning this year!
| || |
For more pictures, please visit our social media pages on Twitter (@UofARIC) and Facebook (@uainservice).
Fall 2019 Professional Learning Opportunities
PowerSchool Learning Platform Updates
- Dr. Robert Mayben (UA/UWA Alabama Technology in Motion specialist) and Dr. Holly Morgan (UA/UWA Regional In-Service Center Director) will be happy to assist you in providing PowerSchool Platform user training for teachers within your district. Please contact us with your requests at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Faculty meetings and/or planning periods would make for an ideal setting/time if possible.
- If you would like to review the help information for how to find a course, you may access training: https://alsde.truenorthlogic.com/ia/empari/help/Content/pd/B_Topics/courseparticipant/searchcourses.htm
- PowerSchool (the PD portion that is replacing Chalkable PD) will go live during the week of October 1.
- The ALSDE will be sending out emails on October 1, to all Superintendents and Technology coordinators which will include instructions for all educators on how to log into the new system. There will also be instructions on how to assign roles at both the District and School level. Right now, only the Superintendent of each district is assigned the Office Administrator for their district and Principals are assigned the Office Administrator of their school. The instructions we will send on October 1 will show them how to hand that responsibility over to whomever they wish at district and school level.
In addition, watch for emails that will go out to all educators in the PowerSchool platform to inform them about the new site and how to log in.
- As a reminder, current Chalkable PD data is being migrated over to the new system. This means:
- Training histories for the past 6 years will be migrated over to PowerSchool.
- As a suggestion, educators may want to print their personal training histories in case of any issue with the migration so that they have personal record of their training histories. In order to assist you with how to download and print your training histories, Dr. Robert Mayben (Technology in Motion) has provided this brief how-to clip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A_Ut4vr3mVaw0eyq-VgFxtQ9x-fkyD8b/view
Scholastic Art and Writing Awards
- Teens in grades 7-12 can apply in 29 categories of art and writing for a chance to win scholarships and have their work exhibited and published.
- The submission portal is open from September 12, 2019-December 12, 2019.
- For more information, visit http://inservice.ua.edu/announcements
ACAP Regional Training Dates
- ACAP Summative and Alternative Assessment Training will be held throughout the state during October 7-11, 2019.
- Please review the following memo in order to learn more about the training opportunity and available dates at http://inservice.ua.edu/announcements
National Board Candidate Support from the UA/UWA Regional In-Service Center
- Our next candidate support session will be on Thursday, October 10 beginning at 5:00 pm.
- The focus of this session will be an overview of Component 3.
- To view the 2019-2020 support schedule, visit http://inservice.ua.edu/announcements
- For more information, please contact Dr. Holly Morgan at email@example.com
AdvancED Connect Conference: October 1-2, 2019
- In partnership with the Alabama State Department of Education, the AdvancEd Connect Conference will be held on October 1-2, 2019, at Frazer Memorial Church in Montgomery, Alabama.
- The AdvancED Connect Conference will provide you with detailed information and best practices on the following topics:
- New eProve platform including eleot®, Surveys, Diagnostics, Strategies (Phases 1-4), Workspace
- You will also learn more about Continuous Accreditation Model, Alabama Continuous Improvement Planning (ACIP), Compliance Monitoring, Student Assessment and best practices, and STEM-based learning and the NEW AdvancED Certification Process Framework.
- For more information regarding registration, visit http://inservice.ua.edu/announcements
Alabama Conference on Grading and Assessment for Learning
- Registration is still open! Our Governing Board has elected to pay for one registration per school district. If you would like to participate, please contact Dr. Holly Morgan at firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, October 2!
- October 5, 2019
- Paul W. Bryant High School, Tuscaloosa
- Featured Speaker: Tom Guskey
- ACLD-PLU opportunity included for those who hold administrative certification
- Registration $75 (includes book), Groups of 5+ are $65 each
- For more information, visit https://acgal.org/
TregoEd: Collaborative Decision Making for School Leaders
- Space is still available! Confirm your spot by contacting Angela Lewis at 348-3319 or email@example.com by Wednesday, October 2.
- October 9, 2019
- 9:00 am-3:30 pm
- UA/UWA In-Service Center
- Complimentary session--Learn about TregoEd's research-based tools for collaborative decision making.
- Lunch is provided at no charge
- For more information, visit http://inservice.ua.edu/announcements
UA/UWA In-Service Center: Curriculum Director/Professional Learning Director PLC
- October 15, 2019
- 9:00 am-12:00 pm
- This year, we will host 3 meetings with the curriculum directors/professional learning directors who serve as direct liaisons to the In-Service Center.
- Each of these regional meetings, beginning with October 15, will occur 2-3 weeks after the ALSDE's Curriculum and Instruction meetings. The purpose of this timing is so that we may discuss specific items, updates, data, and requests for support based upon the information shared at the ALSDE meetings.
- In addition, we will study a professional text together as a part of this PLC.
2019 Alabama Literacy Association Conference
- October 23-24, 2019
- Birmingham Marriott at Grandview, Birmingham, Alabama
- Keynote speakers include Stephanie Harvey, Whitney LaRocca, and Lynne Dorfman
- For more information, visit http://www.alabamareading.org
October 28-November 1: Brainspring Training
November 18-22: Brainspring Structures Course for Grades 6-12
2019 Learning Forward Alabama Conference
- Save the date: November 21-22, 2019
- Hyatt Regency Birmingham
- Our In-Service Center Governing Board has agreed to pay registration and travel for one person from each district. Please contact your Governing Board member (found here) http://inservice.ua.edu/uploads/2/3/0/3/23034384/2018-19_govboard.pdf and Dr. Holly Morgan if you are interested in this opportunity.
- To view the conference flyer, visit http://inservice.ua.edu/announcements
UA/UWA Regional In-Service Center Fall Governing Board Meeting
Tuesday, Jan. 21st 2020 at 3:30-5pm
105 Tom Orr Avenue
UA/UWA Alabama Science in Motion
ASIM Biology Training: October 16 and December 4, Interested participants may register via the Google Form link and choosing either or both Day(s) 7 and/or 8. https://forms.gle/JsjPzCgs1NxWEqmU8
- October 16th is open for sign-up. It is Day 7 of ASIM Bio Year 1 training which involves the following labs that have a heavy environmental science concentration: S9TreeCarbon, S6EcoChanges, S5CleanH2O, S7Climate
- December 4th is open for sign-up. It is Day 8 of ASIM Bio year 1 training which involves the following labs that also have a heavy environmental science concentration: Watershed Pilot Lab, S8AquaEcosystems, S4GlobalCarbon, S10EcologicalSuccession
- For more information regarding biology training and support, contact specialist Lisa Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org
- ASIM Chemistry Training: Chemistry training dates will be held in early spring 2020. Look for specific dates in next month's newsletter. Brooks will also be co-facilitating physical science training with Julie Covin (see dates below). For more information regarding chemistry training and support, contact specialist Brooks Moss at email@example.com.
- ASIM Physics and Physical Science Training:
- ASIM Physics: October 3 and 31--Year 2 Day 6 – Refraction and Year 1 Day 3 Falling bodies and vectors, Year 2 Day 7 – Electricity Day 1 of 3
- Register here for Year 2 day 6 https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdOnc8gWMPlCRQfV5wdQHIOUaI2MAdo_PflXNC8RsXF5c9K2g/viewform?usp=sf_link
- Register here for Year 1 day 3 https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdZfqqHujT5dUQzn0M4ncqFTGxoEzdGcZ1hkXA96hAM29ZxLQ/viewform?usp=sf_link
- ASIM Physical Science: Thursday October 24. Topics will included projectile motion, energy, chemical changes and indicators
- Register here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf2V9- nPp14GMDqMmhXFwMHCNVGr8izUlukPcMuYgMuI_SaHQ/viewform?usp=sf_link
- Later training: ASIM Physics, Thursday December 5, Year 2 Day 8 – Electricity Day 2 of 3
- For more information regarding physics training and support, contact specialist Julie Covin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Technology in Motion with Dr. Robert Mayben
Professional Learning Groups for 2019-2020
Applications are still be accepted for the following Professional Learning Groups for 2019-2020:
Elementary Digital Literacy & Computer Science Professional Learning Group – The Elementary DLCS PLG is an opportunity for K-5 teachers to learn how to integrate the new DLCS into their instruction. In the PLG, teachers will discover strategies for teaching digital literacy and computer science concepts such as computational thinking, coding, robotics, and other innovative design practices. There will be three meetings for this group (1 fall, 2 spring). There are a few seats remaining, and the deadline to register is Friday, October 11, 2019.
Secondary Digital Literacy & Computer Science Professional Learning Group – The Secondary DLCS PLG is designed for teachers of grades 6-12 who are teaching computer science and/or digital literacy classes. This PLG was popular with career tech teachers last year who taught computer science, coding, and robotics classes. There will be three meetings for this group (1 fall, 2 spring). There are a few seats remaining, and the deadline to register is Friday, October 11, 2019.
If you would like more information about the Alabama Technology in Motion program, you can visit the UATiM site at www.uatim.org or the ALSDE site at atim.us. Please contact Dr. Robert Mayben at email@example.com for more information and specific requests.
Spring 2020 ACLD PLU – There will be a new PLU offered in the spring. Look for more information on this learning opportunity later in the fall semester.