5 Important facts
- He Was a member of the royal court of the Greek kings who ruled Egypt
- Most famous for his studies of the earth and they call him the "Father of geography"
- He did a book called geography, in this he describes the inhabited earth its lands and people.
- He devised a tool called the "sieve of Eratosthenes", for finding prime numbers.
- Eratosthenes was born in Cyrene, Llbya
Gow , Mary. Measuring the Earth: Eratosthenes and His Celestial Geometry. Berkeley Heights, NJ: Enslow, 2010. Print.
Eratosthenes was the founder of geography , and with that he explained to the people how the world was created and why things that happened , happened . In his books he described mountains , plants , and the flow of rivers. He also came up with how to read the map that was later called by people latitude and longitude. Eratosthenes died around 200 or 195 b.c books say that he probably starved him self to death because he was going blind.