By; Blake Gonzalez, Pd.7
- Element: Hydrogen
- Symbol: H
- Atomic number: 1
- Atomic weight: 1.00794
- Group: 1
- Color; Colorless
- Classification; Non metallic
- Robert Boyle in described the reaction between iron filings and dilute acids which results in the evolution of gaseous hydrogen.
- From the Greek words "hydro"
- Deuterium gas made up from deuterium, a heavy isotope of hydrogen, was discovered in 1931
- Was discovered in London England
- Discovered in 1766
Hydrogen gas was used in lighter-than-air balloons for transport but is far too dangerous because of the fire risk.
Biology (in humans)
- Hydrogen makes up two of the three atoms in water and water is absolutely essential to life.
- Hydrogen is present in all organic compounds.
Geology (In the universe)
Makes up about about 90% of the universe by weight.
At standard temperature and pressure, hydrogen is a nontoxic, nonmetallic, odorless, tasteless, colorless, and highly combustible diatomic gas with the molecular formula H 2.
- Hydrogen is the lightest element it is also the lightest gas
- Liquid Hydrogen has the lowest density of any liquid
- Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe
- Hydrogen is the only atom for which Schrodinger equation has an exact solution
- Hydrogen reacts explosively with the elements oxygen, chlorine, and fluorine.
- Solid, crystalline hydrogen has the lowest density of any crystalline solid.