What's up in 2D!
Weekly happenings in the life of a second grader
January 20th- Martin Luther King Jr. Day -Student and Staff Holiday!
January 25th- PTO Carnival
February 21st- 6 Flags Reading Forms Due
2. We will not laugh at or make fun of a person's mistakes nor use sarcasm or put downs!
3. We will use good manners saying, "please," "thank you," and "excuse me," and allow others to go first.
4. We will cheer each other to SUCCESS!
5. We will help one another whenever possible!
6. We will recognize every effort and applaud it!
7. We will encourage each other to do our best!
8. We will practice virtuous living using the life principles!
The Life Principles
2. Effort -doing one's best in an endeavor. Ask your learner if they are giving their best effort at school!
3. Compassion: ability to share another's feelings or ideas.
4. Respect - paying proper attention or showing consideration to others.
5. Common Sense- thinking before acting, using good judgement.
6. Self- Discipline- the ability to choose and control one's own actions.
7. Friendship- caring for and trusting others
8. Problem Solving- creating solutions or finding answers to a problem.
9. Forgiveness- act of forgiving for an offense; pardoning
You are a genius and the world needs your contribution!
Here's what we need to KNOW!
Math: We are nearing the end of our 2nd nine weeks! This week in math we will be completing performance tasks for the report cards. Students will be demonstrating their knowledge with coins, addition, subtraction, word problems and skip counting. Check out the math fact practice websites at home!
GTI students will be completing their passion projects that they started at the beginning of the year. They will be making appointments to share with the class what they have learned.
Here are some good websites to try at home for math skills.
Fact Monster Flashcards - http://www.factmonster.com/math/flashcards.html
Math Baseball - http://www.funbrain.com/math/
Science: Soon our new FOSS kits for plants will be arriving. What a fun unit to study with spring just around the corner!
Language Arts: Students will be completing various reading, writing, and spelling assessments this week to get ready for report cards! Students will be participating in reading stations where they can choose to work on writing, reading, word work or spelling.
GTI students will continue their book clubs and begin a product to show their learning throughout the book. Students will also be working on their Passion Project during this time.
Social Studies: We continue our unit on map skills. The Social Studies are a great resource for students. They should have them in their take home folders today! Tomorrow they will be making a map of their bedroom, the classroom or school.