By- Preston Motz, Kate Cassela, Bryce McCracken
Kate Casella (Pilot)- My job as the pilot was to keep everybody on task and help wherever I was needed. I helped the Navigator with plotting the points and I helped
the load master with calculations. I was in charge of writing things down as well as making sure everything was put together correctly before presentation or turning the assignment in.
Preston Motz (Navigator)- My job was to find the fastest way to the Philippines with the least amount of stops and following the flight advisory. The flight advisory made winds in the pacific were stronger, slowing us down. So I went through the Atlantic to get there fastest. I contributed to the group with research about the diseases and about the conditions in the Philippines.
Bryce McCracken (Load Master)- My job is to figure out how we are going to fit the supplies in the C-130 Hercules. My contributions have been loading the plane, figuring out how to load the plane, and making sure the supplies do not weigh too much.
- To help the Philippines recover as quickly as possible
- To save as many people from the harmful diseases such as Malaria
- To develop a plan to provide relief for the Philippines after the disaster
- Portable Hospital- x3
- Drinking Water- x2
- Medical Supplies- x4
- Portable Latrines- x2
- Clothing/Blankets- x3
- Refrigerated Medical Chest- x2
- Food- x2
- Mosquito Supplies- x1
- Miscellaneous- x2
Total Time Taken for Delivery of Supplies: 30 hours 44 minutes
Flight Route- Houston, Texas-Miles City, MT-Sandspit, Canada-Unalaska Alaska- Milkovo, Russia- Natori, Japan- Hateruma, Shima- Tacloban, Philippines.
Goal Was Accomplished
- Portable Hospital
- Mosquito Supplies
- Bottled Water
- Medical Supplies
Total Weight of Pallets-17,900
Total Volume of Pallets- 1,840
We successfully provided relief aid to the Philippines in their time of need. We first figured out who would do the jobs including Navigator, Pilot, Loadmaster, and Medical Engineer. Second we listed supplies that the people would need in time of need , for example: water, food, medicine, etc. We all worked together in figuring the supplies we needed to take. Third we obtained our passports which took some time. Two people split the pilot and navigator job since they basically went together and then one person assigned to the loadmaster job. The whole group working on medical supplies. The Loadmaster figured out the volume and total weight of supplies. The Loadmaster also figured out how to fit everything on the pallets where the makeshift boxes could only be stacked to 8 blocks high. The Pilot and Navigator were in charge of picking the airports and coming up with a safe and fast route that would take the plane to the final destination Tacloban City, Philippines. The medical engineer which was a job we all split figured out what medical supplies we needed to take. Medical supplies included antibiotics for various diseases, vaccines and pain relief. Our group thought that this project was tough because there was much that went into planning to send supplies and foreign relief aid to the Philippines in need. For example people think it is easy to send relief aid to other countries in a time of need and that it is easy doing the planning and thinking it out, but it is challenging thinking of the things you need, how you are going to do it, making sure everything is good and ready. A misconception we had was on the flight plan as we thought we could fly wherever we want, but there was a range the plane could fly which was 1,438 miles. Also we had to avoid the places where there was a no fly zone. We also had to avoid runways less than a 1,000 feet long. This made it challenging finding airports that met all these standards so we could take the safest and fastest route possible. We used the strategy to travel the west route where we started in Houston and next to a city in Montana then to Alaska and next to Russia and so on. If we would have taken the east route over mainland Europe we would have lost considerable time as we were trying to take the fastest route and safest route. Overall this strategy worked pretty well and we all got our work done on time. The group worked pretty well together, so in retrospect, we improved our collaboration skills and we all worked to get our job done. Improving our collaboration skills is what we learned the most from working on this project.
One purpose of this project was to see how and what we would handle a real life situation like a natural disaster or crisis. The main purpose or goal was planning and thinking of how we were going to provide relief aid to the Philippines. This required our group to figure out the supplies we needed such as food, water, and medical supplies and how we were going to fit it on the C-130. Also it required our group to figure out how we were going to get there. Accomplishments for our group has included a good briefing of the history and background of the Philippines. Also naming and providing medical supplies for all the diseases that the Philippines might face. Next was passing the Navigator's qualifying exam so we would know how to use Google Earth to set up a route. Next was figuring out how we were going to get the makeshift boxes on the pallets that could only be 8 squares high and 8 squares long. Finally figuring out the flight plan and selecting the stops along the way that would make it the safest and fastest route possible to get from Houston, TX to Tacloban City, Philippines was another of our group accomplishments. That is our accomplishments/purpose statement.