It seems that today, that everything is a competition. Who is the smartest in the class? Who is getting into a good university? Not only do universities demand your best , but those who surround you; friends and family. The pressure builds and you erupt, and before you know it, you have entered in a depressive state. The world collapses around you and you don't seem to care. This tempering issue seems to increase over the years as universities demand more of undeveloped teen brains. About 55% of stress in students is caused by academics (1). About 30% feel sad or depressed as a result of stress(2). This has proven itself as an international issue that must be dealt with.
What is school stress?
- When the emotional and physical impact of negative experiences are greater than the body's ability to deal with them.
- The adverse reaction people have to excessive pressure or other types of demand placed on them.
- The body's reaction to a change that requires a physical, mental or emotional adjustment or response.
- Outside forces impacting on the individual.
- A condition or feeling experienced when a person perceives that demands exceed the personal and social resources the individual is able to mobilize.