Ferndale Middle Weekly Update
August 15 - August 19
Week of October 3 - October 7
From the Desk of Our Proud Principal
Greetings, Trojan Family!
This is your proud principal, Ms. Kinard, with your weekly updates and announcements.
Wednesday, October 5th is a teacher's workday, and there will be no school for students.
Free Virtual Tutoring Through GCS
Our district has partnered to make sure our students have access to virtual tutoring in Math and Language Arts using the Saga Connect System. Tutoring is offered Monday through Thursday evenings from 5 pm - 8 pm. This is available for any student who needs additional support. To connect your student to virtual tutoring, please visit https://www.gcsnc.com/Page/79770.
GCS Updates Guidelines for Entry into Athletic Events
Guilford County Schools is implementing changes to its entry procedures for district athletic events. Starting on Friday, Sept. 23, purses, backpacks and other traditional bags will not be allowed at sporting events.
Acceptable bags must be made of clear plastic or vinyl, including gallon-sized or smaller zip storage bags. Small clutch bags, diaper bags and bags used for medical supplies, such as insulin pumps, will be allowed but will be subject to inspection.
This Week in Sports
Please check-out our School Calendar located on our website for more details about sports and more.
Monday (10/3) - Boys' Soccer and Girls Volleyball vs. Penn Griffin MS
Tuesday (10/4) - Football at Lincoln MS
We are doing everything we can as a district and a school to ensure the ongoing safety of our students. What you can do is:
If your student is sick, kindly keep them at home. Students who exhibit COVID-19 symptoms should stay at home on day five and take the COVID-19 test.
Please contact the school immediately if you suspect or can confirm that your student has COVID-19 by calling 336-819-2855 or sending Ms. Pierce an email.
7th Grade Immunization Requirement
The state mandates that all seventh grade students receive the Tdap and MCV vaccines. We are required by law to suspend them until proof of vaccination is provided. Wednesday, September 14th was the deadline. In partnership with Guilford County Department of Public Health (GCDPH) there is an in-school vaccination clinic on Monday, October 3 at Ferndale from 9 am - 11:30 for the students still in need of vaccinations. Please contact Ms. Graham, school counselor or Mr. Russell, 7th grade administrator for more information.
2022 - 2023 FMS Administrative Team
Each member of our administrative team is responsible for supporting a specific grade level.
- Ms. Wilson - 6th Grade Administrator
- Mr. Russell - 7th Grade Administrator
- Mr. Garnett - 8th Grade Administrator
Ms. Kinard - FMS Building Principal
FMS Dress Code
The school dress code will be strictly enforced.
Here are some of the highlights of our policy:
- All tops must cover the entire midsection and extend past the waistband.
- All tank tops must have at least a two-inch strap.
- Spaghetti strap tops, tube tops, backless shirts/dresses, halter, and crop tops are not allowed.
- Dresses, skirts, rompers, and shorts must extend past the wearer’s fingertips when standing. This includes athletic running shorts.
- Pants, shorts, and skirts must be worn at the waist and secured.
- Spandex shorts and/or biker shorts must be worn with long shirts or shorts over top.
- No holes/rips in inappropriate places will be allowed in any clothing. There can be no holes/rips in clothing above the knee unless the student wears leggings or tights under them.
- At no time can undergarments be visible.
- Shoes must be worn at all times.
- No bandanas, bonnets, durags, sunglasses, blankets, or sleepwear of any kind are allowed inside the buildings during the school day.
- Student hoods or hoodies are at the teacher’s discretion, but headphones or earbuds under hoodies is prohibited.
- Sleepwear is not permitted at school. This includes but is not limited to pajamas, pajama pants, slippers, bedroom shoes, and hair bonnets.
The school administration and staff reserve the right to make determinations about the appropriateness of student dress even if it is not specifically listed in the dress code.
For more information please review the FMS Student Handbook.
We believe our scholars are capable of excellence and will hold them to a high standard for academics and behavior.
We are preparing our students for greatness, starting with academics, a positive attitude, and appropriate behavior as described in the GCS Code of Conduct and the FMS Student Handbook.
This year, GCS is going digital with its student handbook. The handbook is located online at www.gcsnc.com under Quick Links. It is also on our school's webpage under the student tab.