Digital Citizenship Lesson
Cell Phone Use in School
"We live in a world where students are seemingly born with a smartphone in their hand..."
Madda, Mary Jo. "Technology (And Its Implementation In Schools) Is Widening The Opportunity Gap (Edsurge News)". EdSurge. N.p., 2016. Web. 18 Feb. 2016.
Read the article below then discuss at your table.
Head Cheerleader Banned From Competing After Tweeting an Offensive Comment About Immigrants
The tweet was part of a homework assignment gone wrong.
The head cheerleader at one Massachusetts high school has been banned from cheering for the rest of the season after she tweeted an offensive comment about immigrants.
Caley Godino, a senior at Revere High School in Revere, Massachusetts, was asked to watch the political debates leading up to the 2016 presidential election. Her teacher tweeted a comment about the low voter turnout for November's mayoral race, which prompted Caley to post a controversial tweet.
"Only 10 percent of Revere votes for mayor cause the other 90 percent isn't legal," she reportedly tweeted.
As of 2010, 27 percent of Revere's population was born outside the United States. Caley says she intended the comment to express her political views, not her views on race, according to MyFoxBoston.com. Her political views were inspired by Donald Trump. But after several students complained, school officials stepped in.
"If you're going to stand up and say something that other people will find offensive, then you need to be prepare to deal with the ramifications of that," Superintendent Dianne Kelly told MyFoxBoston.com.
Caley is now banned from cheering for the rest of the season, according to her mother.
The superintendent said that the tweet was not the sole cause for Caley's punishment, though out of concern for student privacy, could not comment further.
Students and teachers at Revere High are now joining together to create a curriculum to address diversity and acceptance.
Three cheers for a more tolerant future.
Orenstein, Hannah. "Head Cheerleader Banned From Competing After Tweeting An Offensive Comment About Immigrants". www.seventeen.com. N.p., 2016. Web. 18 Feb. 2016.
5 MINUTE DISCUSSION at your table
Do you think Caley's tweet was offensive and she should have expected a consequence?
Watch the Video
Siani, Joni. Celling Your Soul. Print.
Clever Prototypes, LLC. "Photos For Class - The Quick And Safe Way To Find And Cite Images For Class!". Photos For Class. N.p., 2016. Web. 18 Feb. 2016.