August 5, 2021
This update contains information on:
- Principal's Message
- Resident Principal Introduction
- YMCA/After School Fee Based Program Update
- Back to School Information
- 48th Ward Back to School Event
- Enroll Now for next school year
- Moving? Transferring Schools - please let us know!
Greetings Peirce Families!
I hope that you are enjoying the summer months and that you and your children are getting ready for the return to in person learning on August 30th - before Labor Day this year. I know that many of you are anxiously awaiting more details regarding the return to school - I do my best to share information with families as soon as I have it, but am asking for your patience as we are still awaiting final guidance from CPS. I hope that the information in this newsletter answers some of the questions that you have and I look forward to providing you with the information needed to successfully transition back to school full time.
Resident Principal Introduction
I am excited to share that Shannon Jiamachello is joining our team for SY22 as a Resident Principal. The year-long residency program will support Shannon as she prepares to be a school principal in Chicago. This is the same role that Janelle Miller had at Peirce last school year. Shannon and I are in the process of identifying her areas of focus for this coming school year. Please join me in welcoming Shannon to our team and see the attached document for her introduction.
After School YMCA/Fee Based Program Update
In an earlier Peirce Update - a survey went out to families from the Lakeview YMCA to gauge need for before/after care programming. Over 150 families indicated that this is a need, we generally have close to 100. Due to staffing levels from the YMCA along with adhering to health/safety protocols, the YMCA had to temporarily cap the number to 60 students and are working on expanding that number as they are able to hire additional staff.
What does this mean for Peirce?
- I am working with CPS departments to arrange a fee-based, school led program for students in PK through 8th grades until the YMCA is able to increase the number of students. Once this is approved, I will share more information.
- Because this is not yet approved, I cannot guarantee that we will be ready to operate this program on the first day of school. Families may want to seek alternative care for the first week to be on the safe side.
- Students who have already secured a spot with the YMCA should stay enrolled in that program.
- The YMCA will be offering a before school program from 7:00 - 8:00am - families who were informed that this may not be an option will receive notification of the before school option shortly.
- PK after care programming is a bit more complicated - there are certain requirements that CPS/YMCA/DCFS need to have in place in order for the YMCA to offer a PK after care program. If the YMCA is unable to gain approval for aftercare, I will arrange a long term fee based option for PK families.
Please know that I will do everything possible to arrange for before/after care for your children and will provide updates as soon as I have it.
Back to School Information
School Supply Lists
Can be found at the top of the Peirce Website
First Day of School
Monday, August 30th from 8:00am - 3:00pm
Meet Your Teacher
Tentatively scheduled on Thursday, August 26th from 2:00 - 3:00pm. This event will be confirmed once we receive final guidance from CPS.
Tentatively Scheduled for Tuesday, September 21st at 5:00pm. This event will be confirmed once we receive final guidance from CPS.
School Year 2021-2022 Calendar
Classroom assignments should be available in Aspen on Monday, August 23rd. Please note that you may see teachers appear in Aspen throughout the summer, but that information will not be final. Classroom assignments can change after August 23rd due to a variety of factors that we have to take into consideration.
Free After School Programs
Peirce received Out of School Time funds to provide free after school programs from 3:00 - 4:00pm for students in Kinder through 8th grades. Brooke Thompson organizes this program and will share program sign up information in the middle of September.
Health & Safety Protocols
What will school look like in the fall? CPS is finalizing guidance on health and safety protocols - once that information is available, I will share it with the school community. What we do know is that....
- Students will return 5 days a week from 8am to 3pm beginning Monday, August 30th.
- Students will wear masks throughout the day, with the exception of when they are eating lunch.
- Students will maintain 3 feet of social distancing to the greatest extent possible.
48th Ward Back to School Celebration
48th Ward Back to School Celebration
Wednesday, August 25, 2021 | 5-7pm
Senn High School Lawn, 5900 N. Glenwood Ave.
Join us for one last summer celebration ahead of the new school year! 48th Ward families are invited to come out to Senn Lawn for free school supplies, live music and entertainment, and resources from local organizations! A big thanks to Comcast for sponsoring this event, and our partners State Representative Kelly Cassidy, State Senator Mike Simmons, and Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky.
Enrolling Now for Next School Year
Kindergarten - 8th Grade EnrollmentPeirce is currently enrolling students for next school year who reside within the attendance boundary. Please complete the form below to indicate your interest in enrolling and someone from the main office will be in touch to complete the process.
Students who have applied through the lottery will learn of their acceptance in May from the Office of Academic Enhancement.
The link below provides answers to frequently asked questions about the Pre-School application process.
Moving? Transferring Schools?
Upcoming Calendar Dates
26th Tentative: Meet your teacher from 2:00 - 3:00pm
30th First Day of School, 8:00am - 3:00pm
21st Open House, 5:00 - 6:30pm