Pirate's Crew ~ Weekly Preview....
Staff Newsletter for Ray Childers Elementary 9/19-9/23
OUR FOCUS FOR 2016-2017
Another one week down . . .
I came across a video on FACEBOOK this week and a quote really stuck with me . . . the individual used the phrase, "casting a vision!" I first related that to leadership-- particularly mine. I try daily to "cast a vision" of professional standards, respect of students and families, and a strong focus on instruction/curriculum. I also consider the vision that you cast within each of your areas. It doesn't matter where you find yourself... teacher, teacher assistant, custodian, secretary, cafeteria, etc. How do you "cast a vision" for those you impact? Your colleagues? Your students? Your parents?
I appreciate the collaborative efforts of our team this week. Many of you pitched in to help with Grandparents to Lunch Week or helped cover for others when there was a need. Again, much appreciation for all you do! Always proud to be a pirate!
GREAT HAPPENINGS THROUGHOUT THE BUILDING THIS WEEK!
Monitoring and Being Aware!
Instructional Core Reminder
Which lens do you wear each day?
LEADERSHIP MEETING FOLLOW UP . . .
- CLASS DOJO is going well-- consistency across school
- Pirate Code for Success is being reinforced and everyone knows expectations
- Positive response from new bell time and dismissal
- Working our kinks in planbook.com; majority feels it is very helpful
Discover Education Tech-books
Mr. Rumbaugh to visit on Monday . . .
Mr. Rumbaugh will be here on September 20th to meet with grades 3-5 during planning. I met with you in August to review school/grade level data-- however I have asked Mr. Rumbaugh to meet with us as well to give us some specific insight as to our strengths and weaknesses. Please plan accordingly.
TEACH LIKE A PIRATE....
“I can walk by the open door of a classroom and tell you after a couple of minutes whether the teacher is a lifeguard or a swimmer.”
― Dave Burgess, Teach Like a PIRATE: Increase Student Engagement, Boost Your Creativity, and Transform Your Life as an Educator
STAR TESTING and MCLASS ASSESSMENTS REMINDERS
I have been monitoring STAR TESTING and MCLASS. Continue to maximize your time to ensure that we meet district deadlines.
September 6th – September 26th
STAR Reading – Grades 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
STAR Math – Grades 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
mClass – Grades K, 1 2, 3 and at-risk 4th and 5th graders
Bus and Car Duty
If you are on duty-- please make sure students are sitting as far back on the side walk as possible. There should be enough room for students to walk behind you rather than in front of you as they make their way to their vehicle. If you see this-- please direct them to walk behind the red poles.
IMPORTANT DATES . . .
- September 20: Rumbaugh to visit with 3-5
- September 20: 3rd Grade PD @ CO 3:30-5:00
- September 21: YAC Lunch Meeting 3:00
- September 22: Williams to CO @ 8:30 (PDP)
- September 22: 4th Grade PD @ CO 3:30-5:00
- September 22: School Lunch Advisory Board 3:30 WCRC (KANUPP)
- September 23: SPELLING BEE (Grades 3-5) 1:45 in gym
- September 23: Girl Scout Parent Meeting @ ICARD 6:00
- September 26 (week of): 3rd Grade IQ TEST
- September 27: FALL PICTURES
- September 27: PLC #1 (During planning)
- September 27: 5th Grade PD @ CO 3:30-5:00
- September 29: 4th to OVERMOUNTAIN VICTORY TRAIL 9:00-11:15
- September 29: FACULTY MEETING 3:00 in Media Center
- September 30: 1/2 day dismissal (NED SHOW PK-2 @ 8:15 and 3-5 @ 9:15)
- September 30: ASW TRAINING: TEAGUE/REEVES 1:00-3:00
- September 30: Pre-K Emergency Preparedness Training 1:30 @ Childcare Connections
BCPS District Goals for 2016-17
Ongoing and Specific Professional Development: technology instructional use, instructional rounds, Ed Camps
Developing district leaders via a Leadership Academy: Principals, Teacher Leaders, Beginning Teachers, assistant principals, and aspiring principals
District wide Anti-Bullying program
Utilizing the Central Office Instructional evaluation for 2016-2017
Establish BCPS Foundation with Charter Board members
Continue to promote Burke County Public Schools:
Family Magazine, Videos-See video, Postscripts, Putnam’s Pen, BCPS Website, Twitter, Facebook, & Accentuating the positive highlights
New promotion methods for 2016-2017:
Movie theater advertisements
1st annual BCPS Foundation Golf tournament- Corporate sponsors: Chartwells, Pierce, Pepsi &…
1st annual BCPS 5K race
Introduction to Project Lead the Way: Engineering in Patton and East Burke
Pilot Video Conference/Virtual classrooms: From Freedom High School to Draughn and East Burke High Schools & Heritage Middle to Hallyburton Academy
Continue to improve Child Nutrition program with Chartwells
Continue to promote staff education and certifications to add value to BCPS
Continue to work with local partners to prepare our students for the work force and for further secondary education
Seek input from Parents/Community/teachers via surveys on academic competitions: What to keep and what to go! Science Fair, Spelling Bee, Speech Contest, Battle of the Books, Robotics, 3D printing, and others
- Advocate for all students through the lens of equity