Otsego High School
Weekly Newsletter (Semester II, Q3, Week of February 22)
From the Desk of Mr. O'Shea
Senior Parents, March 1st is the deadline to submit "Senior Baby Pictures" for the yearbook. Click the link for more details. Senior Baby Pictures Then & Now
A very special thanks to the Men of the American Legion who came in this week and donated hundreds of American Flags for our students to use during future Veterans Day Assemblies. It is such an honor honoring them. I also appreciated the conversation we had about school safety and your willingness to always serve. Thank You.
Good luck to all our winter athletes competing in state tournaments in the upcoming week. #GoKnights
February Students of the Month
24th - Board of Education Meeting 6:00pm HS Library
2nd - Community Forum - Haskins Village Hall 5:30pm
2nd - Community Forum - HS Library 7:30pm
3rd - HS Musical Tickets on sale to public (10am-2pm, parent volunteered, prices tbd)
4th - Music Boosters Fish Fry
5th - FCCLA Competition at PENTA
8th - Winter Athletic Awards
9th - District Leadership Team Mtg.
9th - Community Forum Meeting - Weston Library 5:30pm
9th - Community Forum Meeting - Grand Rapids Library 7:30pm
10th - Maumee/BG Elks Student of the Month Luncheon
11th - OMEA band & Choir Competition
16th - 2 Hour Delay - Staff Professional In-Service
16th - Free Senior Citizen Dinner Theater - 5:45 HS Commons (Call Lisa Austin to reserve, 419-823-1100 x. 1100)
17th - HS Musical-7pm
18th - HS Musical-7pm
19th - HS Musical-7pm
20th - HS Musical-3pm
18th - End of 3rd Quarter
22nd - Board of Education Meeting, 6pm HS Library
25th - First Day of Spring Break - NO SCHOOL
4th - Classes Resume
13th - FFA Banquet
17th - Chicken BBQ
17th - Art Show
20th - 2 Hour Delay - Staff Professional In-Service
22nd - Otsego Endowment Foundation Reverse Raffle
26th - Board of Education Meeting, 6pm HS Library
29th - Choir Trip to Chicago (April 29th - May 1st)
5th - Blood Drive
6th - Reading Rewards
7th - HS Prom
10th - High School Academic Awards Ceremony, 7pm High School Auditorium
11th - 2 Hour Delay - Staff Professional In-Service
19th - HS Choir Concert, 7pm HS Auditorium
22nd - Graduation, 2pm
23rd - HS Band Concert, 7pm HS Auditorium
24th - Board of Education Meeting, 6pm HS Library
25th - Exam Day#1
26th - Exam Day #2
27th - Exam Day #3, Early Dismissal
27th - End of 4th Quarter
Senior Dakota Maher
Senior Deanna McCann
Senior Girls Basketball Players
Kim Forshey, Brianna Meier, Lexie Rieger, Morgan Smoyer, Mackenzy Varner, Alex Wenig. (Mackenzie Wenig not pictured)
reminders from the High School office
- Daily Announcements Page
- Make sure you send in a written note within 48 hours of your child's absence. This is necessary in order for the absence to be excused. Even if you call your child in sick, a note is still needed.
- Please make sure you include both the first name and last name of student on the absent note.
- Sign up for Remind 101 to get text or email reminders of important events. Text to 81010 and in the message box, type otseg (there is no "o" at the end)
- Parents if you want to check on your child's homework, please access their "Google Classroom". All the teachers are posting their assignments there. You will need to know your child's username and password to get into their classroom. If you are having any issues getting into Google Classroom, let us know and we will work to fix it immediately.
- HOMEWORK CAFE - Please drop of any donated items into the HS office or send in items with your child. Call Betsy Roberts at 419-823-4381 in the HS office for any questions.
- Meningitis Vaccination New Requirements Info
Penta Career Center: If your student(s) are interested in attending PENTA Career Center, they may start applying now. If you have any questions regarding program opportunities or the application process, contact Jennifer Wronkovich-Clark at 419-823-4381 or via email at email@example.com.
AP Parents & Students
Parent and Student Bulletin Please read the attached bulletin. It contains important information for Exam Takers.
Applies only to the class of 2018 and beyond.
News from the Yearbook Staff
The 2015-2016 yearbook is featuring a Senior Baby Picture section and a Senior Then and Now section. We would love to have as many people to participate as possible. Pictures must be submitted by March 1st. Senior Baby Pictures Then & Now
Senior Photo Requirements
- Photos should be a high resolution (at least 300 dpi).
- Must be a vertical photo, this allows more room for your classmates in the yearbook.
- Student must be looking at the camera; head cannot be cut off in the picture, & must be able to see student’s full face. Hands, or arms should not be blocking the shoulder shot, or touching the student's face.
- A head and shoulders shot is preferred, but will accept a shot from the waist up. No full body shots or students lying on the ground. We can crop pictures, but if the shot is too far away we will not be able to accept the picture.
- Remember, this is a formal photo, clothing should be appropriate. (Examples- no muscle tees, cleavage, or hats, or flowers in your hair, the list goes on and on.) If you have to question your clothing, then it is probably not appropriate.
- No props in the photo.
- Seniors pictures are due by: April 4th, 2016.
- If your picture is not turned in by this date, you will not be featured in the senior section of the yearbook.
- If you have any questions, you can contact Mrs. Lockhart via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yearbook is having a clearance sale. All yearbooks from the following years are being marked down to $10!" (2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014). Email email@example.com for further information or to purchase one.
News from Athletics
Winter Sports Schedule
JV/V GIRLS BASKETBALL:
February 20 @ Sylvania Southview vs. Delta - 2:45pm (Sectional Championship)
JV/V BOYS BASKETBALL:
February 19 @ Eastwood – 6:00
February 24 @ Oak Harbor vs. Evergreen - 8:00pm (Sectionals)
**Pre-sale tickets for the boys sectional game will be on sale Monday, February 22 through Wednesday, February 24 in the high school office 10:00-2:00. Adults $6, Students $4. All tickets will be $6 at the door. Only cash will be accepted.
FRESHMEN BOYS BASKETBALL:
February 19 @ Eastwood – 4:45
February 19 Sectionals @ Lake HS
February 20 Sectionals @ Lake HS
WINTER ATHLETIC AWARDS:
Tuesday, March 8 @ 7:00pm in the High School gym
Pay-to-Participate fees are now due. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a question regarding your student’s balance.
Otsego Athletics is on Twitter and Facebook. Follow for high school scores and other athletic department information. Also, if you’d like to receive athletic news and updates by email please email email@example.com to be added to the list.
OHS Student Council
Powder Puff Football
Powder Puff forms are due by March 1st. If we do not receive enough forms from underclassmen, there will be a single Jr vs Sr game. Forms and money can be turned in at any time to Miss Pierce.
Student Council Armory
HS Student Council will be collecting items, so we can open our Armory next year. Students in need will be able to "shop" the Armory, and take items at no charge. Please help us stock our shelves so we can give back to our community! Please click on the link for more information regarding the Otsego Student Council Armory
We are OHS StuCo
President: Alissa Jacobs
Vice President: Taylor Gonzalez
Secretary: Olivia Jinnings
Treasurer: Marissa Garrett
Representatives: Zane Maxwell, Zane Thomas
President: Madi Kregel
Vice President: Adam Lewis
Representatives: Parker Lazar
President: Andrew Richardson
Vice President: Julie Spencer
Representatives: Stone Zimmerman, Christina Gonzalez
President: Hayle Grimmer
Student Council is looking for students who want to help plan and put on events for second semester. Would you like to help create a biweekly Lavatory Ledger? What about help plan a movie night? A Community Euchre tournament? Or even our Spring Powder Puff game? If you are interested in getting involved, see one of your Student Council members, or Miss Pierce. We will be opening up for new member in second semester!
Student Council Advisor: Megan Pierce
Follow OHS Student Council on Twitter: @OHScouncil
These students participated in the Honors Band Festival at the Stranahan Theater on Sunday, February 14th, 2016: Felicity Jinnings, Claire Wallace, Leah Dubler, Morgan Chambers, Alissa Jacobs
Our talented instrumental and vocal musicians have many upcoming events, come out to hear some amazing performances. We have musicians performing locally, in solo or ensemble groups, in Honor’s District level and at the All State level this year. We are so very proud of our musical Knights!
3/4 Fish Fry Otsego HS Commons 5-8pm (Click link for attached ticket order form)
3/8 Otsego Music Boosters Meeting 6:30 in room C145
3/17-3/20 – Musical
3/11 and 3/12 – Large group Solo and Ensemble Contest for HS Choir and Band
(exact day and time not yet available)
4/9 OMB/Thayer Ford “Drive4URSchool” Event – 9am -1 pm Thayer Ford
4/12 Otsego Music Boosters Meeting 6:30 in room C145
4/17 Chicken BBQ and Second annual Silent Auction. Great items of all kinds up for
bid to raise money for our Music Program needs.
5/19 Spring High School Choir Concert
TBD – Spring Band Concert dates
5/22 Graduation 2pm
5/24 Spring Junior High Choir Concert
Next week Is National FFA Week. National FFA week has been celebrated in February since 1947. Our chapter will have a display at TSC during the week to promote FFA and the scholarships that that TSC provides to FFA members. Also during the week, Ag Credit of Bowling Green has sponsored and given every FFA member a t-shirt to promote FFA. Tuesday, FFA members are encourage to drive their truck or tractor to school and park in the designated area behind the weight room.
FFA Contest results from the District Public Speaking contest were:
Creed: Hayle Grimmer place 6th
Beginning Prepared: Lucy Pullins 2nd (advanced to state) speech was on GMOs
Prepared Speaking: Madi Kregel 6th speech on women's role in agriculture
Extemporaneous Speaking: Ryan Lashaway 1st (advanced to state)
District Ag Sales contest was Feb 18th team members were: Mackenzie Wenig, Greysen Tolles, Lucy Pullins and Seth Pullins. The team place 4th in the district. Lucy Pullins was the 2nd highest in the district.
High School & JH Buses (Bus Routes for grades 6-12 & Penta)
UPDATE: We have updated our phone system so that our main voice prompts will allow callers to press option 5 for the transportation department. Option 5 will ring extension 3156.
Food Service Department
Friday, Feb. 19th, Otsego 9th/JV/V basketball plays at Eastwood. The Eastwood NHS will be hosting a Spaghetti Dinner in the Cafeteria that night from 4:30-7PM. Adult dinners- $7; Child (age 6-12)- $ 5; 5 and under are free. If you would like tickets, please see Deputy Brian Ruckstul no later than Tues. Feb. 16th.
Julie Amos Fundraising
To continue towards our $130,000 goal we are raffling off a package of our very own Thomas Family Cattle Farm beef. The package includes a variety of steaks, roasts and ground beef (between 25-28 pounds -- a value of approximately $250). This package nearly fits into a typical recyclable grocery bag and if you win and don’t have room for all of the beef we’ll be happy to bring it to you in smaller increments. Tickets are $5 each or 5 tickets for $20. The winning ticket will be drawn on Tuesday, March 29th.
In addition, Rich and Julie’s friends have planned a chicken dinner/volleyball tournament/silent auction to be held at Otsego High School on March 5th. Please pre-order. (And for all you athletes please consider putting a team together -- the deadline for teams to register is February 29th.) DIGGING FOR JULS
If you wish to purchase raffle tickets for the beef package or you wish to make a donation please send checks payable to Rich or Julie Amos to:
Chuck & Tina Thomas
1298 County Road T3
Grand Rapids, OH 43522
For more information or to see a video featuring Julie please visit their GoFundMe page – www.gofundme.comand just search “Julie Amos”. (If you make a donation on GoFundMe and put "beef" in the comment section we'll add you to the raffle.) You can also hear a radio interview with Rich and Julie from earlier this week at this link: http://bgchamber.net/interviews.html and there is more information and updates on Facebook – please search “Juls of Friendship”.
Communication with the High School
1. High School Website www.otsegoknights.org has a new look! The new Otsego Local Schools site will more effectively highlight what is important to us and the community. The new website layout uses responsive design, meaning that it will adjust for tablets and mobile devices. We will keep the high school site updated with pictures, news articles, and other important information regarding the district and the building.
2. Remind 101 (Text to: 81010 Message: @otseg there is no "o" at the end just @otseg. Thats it. You will receive a message that says you've been added to our group. You will receive text messages straight to your mobile device). If you don't want to text, you can go to https://www.remind.com/join and just type in (otseg) as the class code.
3. Twitter (follow @otsegohsoffice or @KosheaOHS)
4. District App:
Classic Weekly Student Joke:
Have a great week.