Family News from the Nest
English Landing Elementary School
Friday, November 17, 2017
Thanksgiving Feast Memories from Thursday
What's Happening at English Landing Elementary School?
Monday, November 20, 2017
- Kindergarten Girl Scouts - Staff Dining Room (3:30-4:45)
Tuesday, November 21, 2017
- English Landing Spirit Day! Wear spirit wear or school colors (red, white & blue)
- 4th Grade Girl Scouts - Staff Dining Room (3:30-5:00)
- Bricks 4 Kidz - Room 229 (3:30-4:45)
Wednesday, November 22, 2017
- Thanksgiving Break - No School!
Thursday, November 23, 2017
- Thanksgiving Break - No School!
Friday, November 24, 2017
- Thanksgiving Break - No School!
Fall Student Survey Results: English Landing and Park Hill
Twice during each school year in the Fall Semester and Spring Semester, we gather feedback from students which allows our staff to measure student perceptions about English Landing. We want English Landing to be our students "home away from home," so it is critical for us to know how our students feel about the time they spend with us. This year, we administered a Panorama Student Survey which allows the staff to not only compare English Landing's student survey results to other elementary schools in Park Hill, but also with other elementary schools in the country located in a suburban setting with similar socioeconomic levels.
English Landing Student Survey Results Summary:
Questions included in the Topic of School Belonging:
- How much support do the adults at your school give you?
- How well do people at your school understand you as a person?
- How much respect do students at your school show you?
- Overall, how much do you feel like you belong at your school?
Questions included in the Topic of School Climate:
- How positive or negative is the energy of the school?
- How fair or unfair are the rules for the students at this school?
- At your school, how much does the behavior of other students hurt or help you learning?
- How often do your teachers seem excited to be teaching your classes?
Questions included in the Topic of School Engagement:
- How excited are you about going to your classes?
- In your classes how excited are you to participate?
- When you are not in school how often do you talk about ideas from your classes?
- How focused are you on the activities in your classes?
- How interested are you in your classes?
Questions included in the Topic of School Rigorous Expectations:
- How often do your teachers take time to make sure you understand the material?
- How often do your teachers make you explain your answers?
- When you feel like giving up, how likely is it that your teachers will make you keep trying?
- Overall, how high are your teachers' expectations of you?
- How much do your teachers encourage you to do your best?
Questions included in the Topic of School Safety:
- How often are people disrespectful to others at your school?
- If a student is bullied in school how difficult is it for him/her to get help from an adult?
- How likely is it that someone from your school will bully you online?
- How often do you worry about violence at your school?
- How often do students get into physical fights at your school?
Questions included in the Topic of School Teacher-Student Relationships:
- How respectful are your teachers towards you?
- If you walked into class upset, how concerned would your teachers be?
- When your teachers ask, "How are you?", how often do you feel that your teachers really want to know your answer?
- How excited would you be to have your teachers again?
Questions included in the Topic of Valuing of School:
- How interesting do you find the things you learn in your classes?
- How useful do you think school will be to you in the future?
- How important is it to you to do well in your classes?
- How often do you use ideas from school in your daily life?
Bus Evacuation Practice on Wednesday
PTA Reflections.... DEADLINE December 8, 2017
PTA Reflections Art Contest
CALLING ALL YOUNG ARTISTS! Join us for this year’s PTA Reflections Art Contest and have fun unleashing your inner artist with this year’s theme, “Within Reach”. Whether you draw, paint, dance, compose music, poetry, or film, this year’s theme is open to your own artistic interpretation! So pick up submission guidelines and an entry form today from the office and return your original works of art to the office by end of the day Friday, December 8 for a chance to advance in the Arts!
For inspiration, visit the Reflections national art gallery and learn more about prizes and scholarships at PTA.org/Reflections
Watch a short video here: https://youtu.be/N3scXQrkbeo
For more information or questions, please contact PTA Reflections Chair, Jessica Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
November Career Share Signup
This year we would like to have EVERY student have at least ONE parent or family member spend time in his/her classroom in a Career Share visit. We started the Guys and Gals approach years ago and feel that it isn't about the gender separation but instead about EVERY student having a parent or family member visit the classroom sometime during the school day.
If you would like to sign up for a November Career Share please see the below links for each grade level. We will continue to publish a Career Share calendar link each month to help meet the goal of EVERY eagle having at least one parent or family member visit for a Career Share during the 2017-2018 school year. Thanks!
If you would like to sign up for a December Career Share please see the below links for each grade level.
WANTED! EMPTY SHOE BOXES
The media center needs your help! If you have any empty shoe boxes that you could donate, please bring them to the English Landing School Office or send them to school with your student.
We are also promoting purchasing a NEW pair of shoes just so you are able to donate an EMPTY Shoe Box! Win-Win!
English Landing T-Shirt Sales! ($10.00)
Thank you! We have completed 98% of Parent and Teacher Conferences!
We have just 3 families left to meet with to reach our goal of 100% participation in Fall Parent and Teacher Conferences.
Repeat: PTA Cookbooks for Sale
Repeat: Park Hill Star Awards
Park Hill Star Award
Our employees are the reason we are so successful here in the Park Hill School District, and we would like to recognize them for all they do for our students.
That is why we present the Park Hill Star award once a month to a pre-K or elementary teacher, a secondary teacher and a support employee.
Anyone can nominate an employee for this award by using the form below. It asks you to share how your nominee demonstrates our district values of continuous improvement, high expectations, integrity, visionary leadership and student focus. You can also share how your nominee supports the goals in our district’s strategic plan.
Please nominate a Park Hill Star today!
Park Hill Star nomination form
School Store Hours (Front Lobby)
Remaining 2017-2018 Grade Level Musicals
3rd Grade: Thursday, December 7th, 2017 at 7:00pm: “How to Be a Pirate”
2nd Grade: Thursday, February 15th, 2018 at 7:00pm: “School Daze”
1st Grade: Tuesday, March 6th, 2018 at 7:00pm: “The Bear Went Over the Mountain”
Kindergarten: Thursday, April 12th, 2018 at 7:00pm: “The Little Red Hen”
Musical NEWS Found on Music Room Facebook Page!
English Landing Office Contact Information
SAVE THE DATE - Early Release Dates
English Landing Eagles S-O-A-R! Each Eagle...Every Day!
Building Successful Futures - Each Student - Every Day
English Landing Vision
Our vision is that all English Landing students will meet grade level expectations and demonstrate responsible citizenship.
English Landing Values
1. We will embrace a welcoming climate.
2. Safety will be a priority.
3. Students and staff will strive for excellence.
4. We will promote collaboration and community involvement.
5. Our school will model life skills.
6. Diverse cultures will be respected.
7. We will practice positive communication.
8. Our school will encourage leadership.
English Landing Strategic Focus Areas