7th Grade Language Arts Newsletter
Monday and Tuesday, February 3-4: In-class review of STAAR Writing Simulation
Tuesday, February 4: Tutoring begins for second semester. We will have tutoring every Tuesday from 3:40-4:15. WOW buses will run in the afternoons for any students signed up for the WOW program. Tutoring letters were sent home at the end of last week/early this week for students who did not receive a passing grade on the STAAR Writing Simulation that was taken in January. Please return these yellow forms as soon as possible.
Wednesday, February 5: CBA (Curriculum Based Assessment) over Narrative Text and Poetry,
Thursday and Friday, February 6-7: Personal Narrative Essay portion of the CBA
Friday, February 14: Valentine's Day--commit random acts of kindness! <3
Monday, February 17: President's Day/No school for students/Teacher In-Service Day
Monday, February 24: Westwood Multicultural Night 6:30-8:30 pm (more details will come soon!)
- Literary Analysis of Narrative Non-fiction and Memoir using DIDLS
- Poetry Analysis using TPDTT
- Comparing, contrasting, and connecting texts across different genres
- The Writing Process and writing a Personal Narrative
- Revising, Editing, Grammar Review
- Spelling, and vocabulary building using Greek and Latin roots and affixes
- D = diction - word choice that creates meaning, mood or tone
- I = imagery - ways the author creates a "mind movie" or mental image, words that appeal to one or more of the five senses
- D = details - topics that the author has gone into great detail about to show importance in the topic or idea
- L = language - figurative language (simile, metaphor, personification, alliteration, onomatopoeia, hyperbole, etc.), tone
- S = sentence structure - sentence length and form that creates flow as you read, mood or tone
- T = title: Make a prediction about what the title might mean
- P = paraphrase: Write each stanza of the poem in your own words
- D = diction: What words has the author chosen to create mood?
- T = tone: What is the speaker's attitude about the topic?
- T = theme: What message is the author giving about life, the world, people?