VCR E LESSON 7
FILL IN THE BLANK WITH THE MOST APPROPRIATE WORD FROM LESSON 7
He introduced _________________ laws, relieving the poor by distributing bread and soup and providing winter coats.
- Pertaining to or regulating expenditure, often for religious or moral reasons, usually relating to clothing or food.
- fiscal, financial, or monetary
- non-financial, unrestrictive
Sumptuary laws (from Latin sumptuariae leges) are laws that attempt to regulate permitted consumption. Black's Law Dictionary defines them as "Laws made for the purpose of restraining luxury or extravagance, particularly against inordinate expenditures in the matter of apparel, food, furniture, etc."
CHOOSE THE NUMBER OF THE SENTENCE IN WHICH THE WORD IN BOLD-FACED TYPE IS USED INCORRECTLY.
- The sumptuary laws required priests to wear a red border on their dresses.
- Christian became so rich that the king had to restrict his income through several sumptuary ordinances.
- The sumptuary act attempted to cap the voting age at seventy-seven, only to find many elders in the community greatly protested the act.
- He passed many sumptuary laws including an edict forbidding the over-cultivation of his plantations.