Second Grade Rock Stars
Next on tour: Upcoming Events
Coming on Tour Soon:
- 04/16-04/22: Scholastic Book Fair (Open after school)
- 04/20: Math Monday (CLICK HERE to complete)
- 05/07: Field Trip to IMAX Esquire Theater (Madagascar: Island of Lemurs)
- 05/07: WAVE Meeting 6:30pm in the BASE room on Del Paso
- 05/14: WCS Board Meeting 6:30pm
- 05/16: WCS 10 Year Reunion Celebration (Get your tickets HERE)
- 05/20: Open House for Del Paso at 6:00pm
- 05/22: Spirit Day- Mix and Match
- 05/25: No School
- 06/03: Second Grade Poetry Slam 5:00-6:15pm
Our Highlights: What We've Been Rockin' At!
It was great to see all of the Rock Stars ready to go coming back from break. They were ready to learn and excited! We are beginning a few new units that I am also very excited about! In Math we are finishing up reviewing and diving into multiplication. In Writing, we are moving from informational writing to persuasive writing. We have started a paragraph of the week (we call it writing with POW). We wrote about the length of recess this week and really broke down the steps in persuasive writing. We can't wait to become better and more persuasive writers and speakers! (Sorry parents...it's my job!) Smile!
We are also starting our Poetry Unit, which is always a lot of fun! It allows students to not only learn about poetry, but express themselves in many different styles and forms of poetry. We will be ending our Poetry Unit with our Poetry Slam on June 5th. Make sure to mark your calendars for it!
In Science we began learning about biologists and habitats this week. Students are thrilled to learn about animals and their habitats! As they learn more about habitats in the following weeks, they will be looking at habitats with a sharp Biologist's, Ecologist's, Wildlife Management's, and Zoologist's eye. After learning about habitats, they will be designing a proper habitat within a zoo or wildlife sanctuary for a particular animal that will best help that animal to survive and flourish. They will also be writing a persuasive piece explaining why that habitat is the best for it. They will then pitch their design to participating zoos and sanctuaries in a video. Check out the overview below for more details!
Rockin' and Rollin' into Next Week!
Reading: Context Clues, Main idea, Details, Fluency and Rhythm
Writing: Persuasive Writing and Paragraph of the Week, Poetry
Grammar: Proper Nouns, Irregular Verbs, and Adverbs
Conventions: Commas and Capitals
Science: Habitats! (see overview above)
Playing Homophone SCOOT
Questions to ask your child...
- What is a biologist?
- What is an organism?
- What is a habitat? Can you name one? What do are 3 things animals need in a habitat?
- Name two homophones? How are they different?
- How can you use context clues to help you figure out what a word means when you are reading?
- What does it mean to persuade?
- Can you answer the Math Monday problem HERE?