Educate, Accelerate, Graduate! October 2023
LOA STUDENT HANDBOOK
***Please review new Student Handbook for new ID, dress code, and discipline policies for the 2023-2024 school year
GET TO KNOW US! - OUR AMAZING SUPPORT TEAM
GRADUATION - CLASS OF 2024
Our OWLS are flying the coop! We have had 33 students graduate already! Although our Graduation Ceremony is not until May 29th 2024, we want to provide you with all of the updates as quickly as we can. Follow us on X (Formerly Twitter) @LiveOakOwls, FaceBook (Live Oak Academy - Formerly Academy @ Hays), and our website www.Hayscisd.net/LOA.
SAVE THE DATE!!!!! - PICTURE DAY @ LOA
Lifetouch will be here November 9th for school pictures. Pictures begin at 9:30. Afternoon students will need to be on time as we have a short window specifically set up for them to take their pictures as well. They will be taking both fall pictures (yearbook) and Cap/Gown Grad pictures! Flyers and more information on ordering will go out soon!
This is the ONLY time Lifetouch will be scheduled. LOA does NOT have re-takes!
PROGRESS & ATTENDANCE
ACADEMIC & ATTENDANCE MEETINGS
How is my student progressing at LOA?
Sign Up for Parent Edgenuity Progress Reports
All parents should sign up for a Parent Edgenuity Account. You can view your student’s progress daily. Our expectation is that all students complete a MINIMUM of 50 lessons a week.
Click the link to request a Parent Log in for LOA Progress Reports here:
Attendance is key to every student's success. At Live Oak Academy, we expect our students to attend school each day (we do not offer virtual schooling).
If a student is absent from school, have your student bring a note from a health care provider, other official office, or parent/guardian note explaining reason for the absence. These notes may also be emailed to LOA.Attendance@hayscisd.net. Excused absences (illness, tardies, family trips, etc) are not waived when reviewing student's attendance for truency, only medical notes are waived.
PSAT - October 18th (8:55 - 1:00)
10th/11th graders are required to test. Late Arrival students will be expected to attend the testing and may leave at 1:00. Please plan accordingly.
Create a Khan Academy account for more test prep.
Students can find our transcript request on our website under OWL ZONE. Official transcripts must be mailed or virtually transfered directly from the school. Emailed transcripts are not considered official for colleges.
Click HERE to request
FREE & REDUCED LUNCH APPLICATIONS
Free & Reduce Price Meal Application FAQ
- Do I need to fill out an application every year? Yes, every school year each household is required to fill out an application for the current school year.
- Where can I get an application? You can easily apply online https://www.schoolcafe.com/hayscisd or you can get a paper application from the Child Nutrition office.
- Do I need to fill out an application if I already received a letter stating that my student/students are on the program for the current school year? If you already received a letter stating your student qualifies for free/reduced price benefits for the current school year, then you do not need to fill out an application.
- Do I need to fill out an application for every student in my household? You only need to fill out 1 application per household.
We have had some students forgetting to bring their ID. An ID is required each and every day while on campus. The district's dress code includes display of the student’s campus ID. All students are expected to wear the campus-issued SmartTag ID while on campus. The ID must be visible on the student, this includes on campus, school events, and district transportation. Student ID may not be tampered with (intentional destruction, defacing, removal of information, or stickers).
A replacement/lost ID will cost $5.00 per ID.
- No Sexual Images, Drugs, Alcohol, or Gang related images
- No Crop Tops / Low cut shirts (shirt must meet top of bottoms and cover under garments)
- Hood of jackets or hoodies cannot be worn over the head
- Shorts/skirts must reach mid-thigh
- Undergarments above or below the waist must be covered
If a student ever questions if something is appropriate for school, the best practice is to ASK before wearing the item. Once on campus, if inappropriately dressed, they are already taking away from their academic time.
Parking Permits are sold on-line. All students must park in the appropriate student lot. Students who park in the staff parking lot may be booted and fined. In order to park on LOA campus, you must have a current parking permit.
To purchase a LOA parking permit you must provide the documents listed below to Ms. Jennings in the front office.
- · Parking permit form (online under the OWL ZONE tab or click HERE)
- · Current and valid driver’s license (learners permits are not allowed– no exceptions)
- · Current up to date insurance for vehicle
- · Receipt for Payment of $15
Students that do not have a valid parking permit are not allowed to park on campus and may be ticketed. For more information, please contact Mrs. Jennings at Jana.Jennings@hayscisd.net.
NOM NOM NOM - LUNCH?
Food deliveries: We do not allow food deliveries. Uber Eats, DoorDash, GrubHub etc may not drop food for our students. A Parent or Guardian (may not be friend or sibling) may drop food off in the office for a student between 12:30 - 1:20. Please make sure the food is for your student only. The student may not pick up the food from the office until lunch (1:00 pm) due to our "no food in the classroom" rules. This is for the safety of our campus and students.