January 26th, 2017
A Friday Update
Also, we are presenting the schedule ideas to district and will update you soon.
I (David) have a strange week coming up. I am at the School Culture Summit Monday and Tuesday with Kevin and Rachel, then at Illuminate conference with Kerry Thursday and Friday. See you Wednesday! Debi and Gio have fort.
Have a great week!
An Early Update! - Athletics from Friday evening, Two Events on Saturday and Much More...
Two events coming up on Saturday that we wanted you to be aware of:
- LumaCON, the Petaluma comic convention that is the brainchild of former PHS librarian Connie Williams and her counterpart at Casa Grande, Nathan Libecap, returns to Petaluma this Saturday. Please see the article below.
- A fundraiser for Richie Lemos, current Kenilworth and former PHS teacher, is also on Saturday at the Roaring Donkey - see article below.
- Registration continues - please email your counselor if you have specific questions but remember they are visiting other school to register students.
- Don't forget the Crab Feed coming up on February 3rd. See the information below and how to get involved.
- See articles on FFA and the NCAP grant
- Check out the new Ellison Field, almost ready to be unwrapped.
- Athletics Updates and much more (Friday's results included)
- AP/Honors Evening Feb 22nd - see article below
Have a great week!
Reprint from Petaluma 360 - Please support Richie Lemos!
FUNDRAISERS PLANNED FOR RICHIE LEMOS, PETALUMA TEACHER WHO SUFFERED OPERATING ROOM HEART ATTACK: When 37-year-old Richie Lemos, a teacher at Kenilworth Junior High, went in for a routine stent operation following a mild heart attack, his friends and family assumed he’d be sent home within a day or so, as is usually the case. When his heart stopped during the procedure, followed by several days on life support, his family feared the worst. Fortunately, as of this writing, Lemos appears to be recovering, but the road ahead will be long – and expensive. To assist in paying some of his medical bills, a GoFundMe campaign (GoFUndMe.com) has been established to raise $10,000. So far, more than $7000 has been pledged, and a fundraiser at Jameson’s Roaring Donkey has been planned for Saturday, Jan. 27 beginning at noon. There will be live music, live painting, a silent auction, and special drinks, the proceeds from which will go to support Lemos’ recovery. The event is all-ages until 7 p.m. 146 Kentucky St. Lemos’ friends, family, students and former students.
Recent Wrestling Results for PHS
Final Score Petaluma 78 Piner 6
Petaluma vs. Piner (1/25/18)
108: Nick Trave (Pet) win by FF
115: Cindy Diaz (Pet) win by FF
120: Ryan Ball (Piner) win by pin over Joe Grob (pet) (1:23)
126: Mac Shattuck (Pet) win by FF
134: Dominic Butts (Pet) won by pin over Dylan Mey (Piner) 3:38
140: Connor Pedersen (Pet) won by FF
145: Liam O’Niell (pet) won by FF
154: Mario Zarco (Pet) won by FF
162: Jack Santos (Pet) won by FF
172: Derrick Pomi (Pet) won by pin over Joseph Ruiz (Piner) 5:33
182: Chris Olvera (pet) won by FF
197: Fernando Rodriguz (Pet) won by pin over Alan Nyguen (Piner) (:46)
222: Daniel DeCarli (Pet) won by pin over Ethan Scott (Piner) (:50)
285: Derek Honey won by pin over Clayton Canter (Piner) (1:03)
Well done, Trojan wrestlers!
Battle of the Fans Update
PHS CRAB FEED Information...
PHS Athletic Boosters Crab Feed is just around the corner!
Saturday, February 3rd at the Herzog Hall on the Sonoma Marin Fairgrounds.
If you’re looking for a way to help out PHS sports teams you can –
- Attend the Crab Feed! Purchase your tickets or reserved table for the Crab Feed and enjoy a delicious meal of pasta, salad, French bread and endless crab! There’s a no-host bar including Lagunitas beer and local Sonoma County wines, and a live dessert auction or enjoy ice cream from Three Twins! This event always sells out, don’t wait until the last minute!
- Donate a bottle of wine to the silent auction – we’re asking EVERY PHS athlete to donate 1 bottle of wine per sport to the auction. Bottles can be dropped off in the PHS office or directly to the Krist’s front porch - 700 Elm Drive.
- Donate items to the silent or live auction – do you work for or own a company that can contribute to our auction? Do you have season sports tickets or a time share or a service that you’d like to donate towards helping our Trojan athletes? Please contact Phoebe Ellis – email@example.com
- Volunteer! We need parents to help set up the event on Friday, February 2nd – 9am to 4pm at the Herzog Hall on the Sonoma Marin Fairgrounds. Stop by for an hour or stay for 3 to 4 hours and help us prepare for this fun event – any time you can contribute is appreciated.
- Athletes - Volunteer to Serve at the Crab Feed! – PHS students will earn community service hours for volunteering at the Crab Feed– 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm on Saturday Feb 3rd – please text Barb Brooks to sign up – 707-481-5921.
For Ticket Sales inquiries – please contact Antoinette Butts – firstname.lastname@example.org
For Silent or Live Auction donations – please contact Barb Brooks – email@example.com
For Wine Auction donations – please contact Lori Krist – firstname.lastname@example.org
AP Honors Evening February 22nd
COMING SOON: Introducing ST Connect!
Friday, Jan. 12th, 8:30am
201 Fair Street
Quick Athletics Wrap Up:
Soccer: Girls Varsity Soccer gave it their all up at Analy tonight, but neither team could break a scoreless deadlock in overtime. The 0-0 draw means that the loss to Analy a couple of weeks ago is still the difference in league play. So the Trojans will have to continue their strong play and hope for some help as we head to the final two weeks. The girls host El Molino on 1/29 before paying a visit to Sonoma Valley on Wednesday, 1/31.
The Varsity boys soccer team are currently 3-5 in league, looking ahead to a match up on Tuesday at El Molino and hosting Sonoma next Friday.
Basketball: The Girls Varsity Basketball squad is powering through the league, currently boasting a 17-5 (8-0) record. Jaden Krist and Sheriene Arikat have been forces on offense but this has been a true team effort. Lilly Catarozoli has been a strong rebounder, Kayleigh Pate can shoot the '3' , and Kelsey Martin has led the Trojans in scoring a couple of times. They host El Molino on Tuesday night in the home gym before a Saturday matinee at Analy that will likely decide the league title.
The Boys Varsity Basketball team had perhaps their best shooting night of the year at El Molino tonight, running away with a 79-46 win. The scoring was balanced and it seemed like the Trojans could score at will. Highlights of the night? Watching George Tynes rip down rebounds and score a couple of put backs, and Teddy Critchett celebrating his 18th birthday with a couple of nifty and nimble inside moves. The Trojans are still in the hunt for the league title but will probably need to win out. An upset win by Sonoma over Healdsburg has put the Trojans back on track after a very difficult loss to Healdsburg the previous week. Petaluma has a critical home match up against Piner Monday night where we expect a packed gym. Then they visit a difficult Sonoma squad on Wednesday. Let's go Trojans!
For all upcoming contests, visit https://www.petalumacityschools.org/domain/484
For updates on freshmen and JV teams, visit http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/petaluma-trojans-(petaluma,ca)/sports.htm
High School Video Award for Friends of the River
This is a great opportunity for interested students to have their work before a public audience. All winning videos will be featured on the Friends' website and shared through our social media outlets. The 1st place video will be shown at our annual Student Showcase and will air before summer movies at the Petaluma Movie Theater.
We hope that you will encourage your students to participate or even consider folding the award into your curriculum for Spring semester.
Important Upcoming Dates
Don't forget the following dates:
January 31st - MarS Field Trip - Hog Island
February 2nd - Drama Club Field Trip
February 3rd - CRAB FEED!
February 5th - APES Field Trip
February 5th - PTSA Meeting
February 7th - APES Field Trip
February 8th - Site Council
February 8th - 9-11th Grade COLLEGE NIGHT
February 9th - Biology Field Trip
February 10th - ACT Test
February 10th - AG Booster Dinner Dance
February 12th - Lincoln's Birthday - NO SCHOOL
February 13th-16th - MarS to Monterey - Second Trip
February 19th - Washington's Birthday - NO SCHOOL
February 20th - PAC Meeting @3:20 in F6
February 22nd - AP Honors Evening
February 22nd - End of Fourth Grading Period
February 26th - Athletic Booster Meeting @ 7PM Library
February 28th - Staff Meeting @2:20pm in Library
Healthy Kids Survey
Rather than copy and paste from our website as I've done in the past, let's use our website as the main form of reminder as to what is coming up. Click the link below and check out what's coming up from the calendar. (The link is now correct!)