Welcome to Rhode Island
MY HEART IS ANCHORED IN RHODE ISLAND
COME TO RHODE ISLAND
Geography: Flat rolling hills and lowlands. The basic geography of New England consisted of mountains thick with trees, rivers and poor rocky soil that was difficult to farm and unsuitable for crops.
Climate: New England was the coldest of the three regions, mild and short summers leading to long, cold winters but less disease than in the warmer colonies.
10 Interesting Facts About Rhode Island!
- Roger Williams founded Rhode Island in 1636 and was followed by Anne Hutchinson
- Native Americans were the first ones there, he made peace with them.
- Later on he bought the land from them, he never claimed/stolen it from them.
- Named "Roodt Eylandt" (Red Island) by Adrian Block , a Dutch Explorer in 1635 for the color of its soil.
- It became a state in May 29, 1790
- In 1775 Rhode Island was governed as a Charter Colony.
- By 1761, Rhode Island, had 22 distilleries and three sugar refineries
- in 1638 the Portsmouth compact was signed
- In 1663 King Charles II granted the royal Charter of Rhode Island
- Farming was difficult because of the bad soil.
Trying to make peace with the Native Americans
Arriving to Rhode Island
Started a club for women to share their beliefs