Senior Newsletter December 2014
High School Counseling Office
Approaching College Application Deadlines!
Congratulations to those students who have received acceptance letters! As you receive these letters, please let us know so we can share the exciting news on the morning announcements (only if you allow us to and we hope you do)!
SCHOLARSHIPS ... SCHOLARSHIPS ... SCHOLARSHIPS!
Deadline: December 15, 2014
GE-Reagan Foundation Scholarship Program: eligible applicant must demonstrate leadership, drive, integrity, and citizenship; have a 3.0 or higher grade point average; demonstrate financial need; plan to enroll full-time in an undergraduate course of study at an accredited four-year college or university. To apply, visit: http://www.reaganfoundation.org/GE-RFScholarships.aspx
Deadline: January 8, 2015
Aspiring Fashion Professional Scholarship: eligible applicant must be interested in pursuing a fashion degree at an accredited post-secondary school or college. For more information and to apply, please visit: http://www.fashion-schools.org
Deadline: June 1, 2015
Aspiring Animation Professional Scholarship Program: eligible applicant must be interested in pursuing an animation degree at an accredited school or college. For more information, please visit: http://www.animationcareerreview.com
Deadline: June 1, 2015
Association of Fire Districts of the State of New York, Inc. ("Ned" Carter/Past Presidents Scholarship): applicant must be continuing his/her education at a two or four-year accredited college; must have or be entering a career of service to the community; and have financial need. Applications are available in the Counseling Office and online at: www.firedistnys.com. Deadline: March 7, 2015
Corinth Dollars for Scholars Scholarship: all applicants must complete an online profile and application; visit: http://www.corinth.dollarsforscholars.org. There will be no paper application this year!
College Specific Scholarships:
Marist College: Technology Scholarships are available for students who select a major in Computer Science or Information Technology and Systems. More information is available in the Counseling Office and online at: www.marist.edu/technologyscholarships
Summer Enrichment Opportunities
Duke University Summer Session: open to students in 12th grade who are looking for personal enrichment courses. Applications are available online and more information can be found at: http://summersession.duke.edu/high-school-students.
Financial Aid Information
Students are encouraged to apply for financial aid as soon as possible after January 1st. There are a few ways to apply:
- Apply online at: www.fafsa.ed.gov (both the student and parent will need a PIN number to file online; to create a pin go to: www.pin.ed.gov)
- Download and complete a PDF version of the FAFSA at: www.FederalStudentAid.ed.gov (must be mailed in for processing)
- Request a paper FAFSA by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at: 1 800 4 FED AID.
Financial Aid Night
January 8, 2015 at 6:30 PM at Hadley-Luzerne High School
SUNY Financial Aid Days will be held on Saturday, January 24th and Saturday February 28th at a location to be determined. Stay tuned for more information.
- www.education.org: This website teaches students about a major by showing them a University made major video, university program profiles, industry publications, professional and student associations, student competitions, future employers. Visit today ... it's free of charge!
- www.cappex.com: there are many helpful features on cappex.com ... you can view college application deadlines, you can go directly to a colleges' application page to start applying, you can get an estimate on your likelihood of admittance with the "What Are My Chances?" tool. Also, the financial aid process is right around the corner and cappex.com has a handy one-page worksheet that covers the key reasons to complete FAFSA and what is needed to file. Also, on December 17th at 6 PM CST, Cappex will be hosting a Financial Aid & FAFSA 101 Session. This is a free information session for students. To register for this session, please go to: www.cappex.com/finaid101