Message from the Superintendent
July 16, 2021
In this Message
- CDPH Guidance Update
- Preschool Registration
- Indoor Facilities Use for Outside Groups
- Instructional Materials Review
- Communications Feedback Survey
- Job Opportunities
Dear OUSD Community:
Earlier this week, the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) issued updated guidance for all California K-12 schools for the 2021-2022 school year:
- In-person instruction can occur without physical distancing when universal masking is in place.
- Students and staff (when in the presence of students) are required to wear masks while indoors at school, regardless of vaccination status.
- Students and staff will no longer be required to wear masks outdoors.
School districts must follow the guidance provided by state and county health officials to operate for in-person instruction. CDPH stated that it will reassess conditions and determine whether to change mask guidelines no later than November 1. For questions or concerns related to the mandated CDPH health directives, please contact CDPH directly.
The health and safety of our students, staff, and community remain at the forefront of our efforts. We remain committed to providing a safe learning environment and will continue to utilize stringent cleaning and sanitization procedures, encourage frequent hand washing, and employ other proven COVID-19 prevention strategies. During the 2021-2022 school year, three instructional models will be offered to accommodate the various needs of our families:
- Option 1: Traditional in-seat classroom instructional model, five days per week
- Option 2: Full day virtual instruction through the OUSD EDGE Virtual Academy
- Option 3: OUSD Home School (Grades K-8) or Independent Study (Grades 7-12)
Students will be able to transfer from one model to another during the trimester or semester change if space is available. In addition, the Educational Services Division has been working to provide Expanded Learning Opportunities for students using funding from the state. Information is available online by CLICKING HERE.
As always, thank you for your patience and support as we continue to work with local public health officials to stay up-to-date on the latest guidance. We look forward to welcoming all students back for in-person instruction on August 18!
Gunn Marie Hansen, Ph.D.
Superintendent of Schools
Orange Unified School District
Click the button for information about enrolling your child in Orange Unified for the 2021-2022 school year. Continuing students will complete the data confirmation and registration process later this summer.
PRESCHOOL REGISTRATION IS OPEN FOR AGES 3-5
The OUSD Child Development Center’s Preschool curriculum includes various activities to stimulate and promote curiosity, learning, and social development. In a nurturing and developmentally appropriate environment, teachers present a well-developed curriculum that includes social and emotional development, English-language development, early literacy skills, early writing skills, print awareness, children’s literature, and early math and science skills.
Please call 714-628-5570 for more information on how to register your child for this opportunity.
FACILITIES USE AVAILABLE FOR OUTSIDE GROUPS
We are excited to announce that, as of July 12, we have reopened our Facilities Use booking system for indoor spaces to outside groups. Learn more at
INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS REVIEW
We are excited to share with you that we have been going through the process of instructional materials reviews of the following programs:
- Transitional Kindergarten Curriculum – Savvas Three Cheers
- Elementary Social Studies – TCI Social Studies Alive! (K-5) and TCI History Alive! (6)
- High School Biology – Savvas California Miller & Levine Experience Biology: The Living Earth
- High School Chemistry – Savvas California Experience Chemistry
- Middle School Health – Positive Prevention Plus 2018
- High School Health – APEX Extended Health
The review process for these adoptions is a critical component. We invite all parents/guardians to review the recommended programs at the Office of Curriculum & Instruction (1401 N. Handy St. Orange, Ca, 92867 - Building D) from June 7 – July 22, for approval at the July 22 Board of Education meeting. If you are interested in reviewing the materials, we can accommodate appointments both in-person and virtually. Please make an appointment by calling (714) 628-5452.
We look forward to receiving additional input on these programs. We value your partnership and participation in this process.
Orange Unified School District Communications Feedback Survey
Your input is valuable! Please click the button to take the OUSD Communications Feedback Survey.
Orange Unified School District is gearing up for its Spring recruiting and hiring initiative. Are you interested in a profession that makes a positive impact in the community? If so, please visit our website at www.orangeusd.org/jobs to view a vast array of employment opportunities that span from entry-level to upper management, classified, and certificated. Join the Orange Unified family and Inspire our learners of today to be purposeful leaders of tomorrow.