Please view this webpage and interact with it for 3 minutes
- Nearly 9 out of 10 cigarette smokers first tried smoking by age 18, and 99% first tried smoking by age 26
- Each day in the United States, more than 3,800 youth aged 18 years or younger smoke their first cigarette, and an additional 2,100 youth and young adults become daily cigarette smokers.
- In 2014, nearly 25 of every 100 high school students (24.6%) and nearly 8 of every 100 middle school students (7.7%) used some type of tobacco product.
- If smoking continues at the current rate among youth in this country, 5.6 million of today’s Americans younger than 18 will die early from a smoking-related illness. That’s about 1 of every 13 Americans aged 17 years or younger alive today.
- Cigarette smoking causes about one of every five deaths in the United States each year.
- Tobacco use is the leading preventable cause of death in the United States.
What is inside of a cigarettes? (- this chemical is also found in)
- Acetone – found in nail polish remover
- Acetic Acid – an ingredient in hair dye
- Ammonia – a common household cleaner
- Arsenic – used in rat poison
- Benzene – found in rubber cement
- Butane – used in lighter fluid
- Cadmium – active component in battery acid
- Carbon Monoxide – released in car exhaust fumes
- Formaldehyde – embalming fluid
- Hexamine – found in barbecue lighter fluid
- Lead – used in batteries
- Naphthalene – an ingredient in mothballs
- Methanol – a main component in rocket fuel
- Nicotine – used as insecticide
- Tar – material for paving roads
- Toluene - used to manufacture paint
Meet your new friends if you smoke:
- Smoking causes about 90% (or 9 out of 10) of all lung cancer deaths in men and women.
- More women die from lung cancer each year than from breast cancer.
What parts of the body does smoking effect?
You smoke ..... You choke
National Smoke Out Day
Thursday, Nov. 17th, 7am
This is an online event.
National Smoke Out Day is about encouraging smokers to use the date to make a plan to quit, or to plan in advance and quit smoking that day. This day is also about raising awareness about the reasons not to smoke.