Third Grade News
Week of April 20th
Students have been learning how to write various types of poems including Haiku, Limerick, Diamante, Cinquain, and Acrostic. We wrote some pretty humorous limericks about ourselves today and are excited to share them with you at Poetry Cafe on Wednesday, April 29th.
Poetry Cafe will begin at 5:30pm. Students should arrive and be ready to recite their poems by 5:15pm. Please have them wear all black (Jeans are OK). Sunglasses and a beret would be great, but are not required. Here is a quick (approximate) glimpse of how the evening will run:
- 5:30-5:45 pm - Light refreshments
- 5:45-6:15pm - Poem recitations by students & Open Mic for family & friends (refreshments will be closed during recitations)
- 6:15-6:30pm - Refreshments reopen & Poetry Creation table opens, where students and their families will be able to create their own original poetry!
We are really looking forward to it!
This week in math...
Next week, your child will be taking the SAT 10 tests. By working together, we can make your child’s test experience positive and successful. Here are some suggestions that you can do to help your child succeed:
- Make sure your child gets a good night’s rest.
- Have your child eat a healthy breakfast and bring a healthy snack each day.
- Make sure your child arrives at school on time.
- Gently encourage your child to do their best.
Testing will take place from 9-11 every morning. Our schedule for testing will be as follows:
Thursday: Reading Comprehension
Friday: Word Study and Reading Vocabulary
Remember, you can’t study for the test. The schedule provided above is simply to inform you of what we will be working on each day.
Testing each day will adjust our specialty schedule next week. We will only have gym on Monday. The rest of the days will be regular uniforms, except for Friday, when the students can dress down in their spirit shirts.
Dates to Remember...
- 4/29 - Poetry Cafe at 5:30pm
- 4/30 - Poem In Your Pocket Day
- 5/1 - Wear spirit shirts