Come To The Piney Woods!
Adora M | 2nd Period | 12/3/15
Things You Can Do Outdoors
~Historical Places In The Piney Woods~
A lake that stretches 25,400 acres and includes a wetland.
Lake O' The Pines
A reservoir in Marion County on Big Cypress Bayou.
Toledo Bend Reservoir
An 185,000 acres of water, it lies on the Sabine River, the border between Texas and Louisana.
About The Piney Woods
"Large scale settlement came to the Pineywoods as a result of the timber boom of the mid- to late 1800s, though many hardy settlers and Native Americans called the region home before then. Sawmills and company towns dotted the landscape, taking advantage of the wealth of virgin pine timber that covered the land. The forest operations of many of these early pioneers were not sustainable and many company towns and sawmills dwindled and disappeared by the early 1900s. Today the timber industry is still the largest source of jobs and income in the region, but the lessons learned from history serve as a reminder of the importance of sustainable forest management."
- Woods: http://geordancommunities.com/community/5/piney-woods
- American Freedom Museum: http://www.americanfreedommuseum.org/about/
- East Tx Culture: http://www.museumpalestine.org/history.asp
- Raceway: http://thefourthturn.com/2013/10/woods-records-top-10-finish-martinsville-virginia-racing-lovers-300/
- Zipline: http://www.ziptf.com/prices.htm
- Lake O' The Pines: https://www.invasiveswatch.org/site/Lakes/LakeO.aspx
- Caddo Lake: http://fineartamerica.com/featured/caddo-lake-morning-snow-white.html
- Toledo Bend Resevoir: http://www.toledobendforsale.com/blog/top-five-activities-to-do-in-toledo-bend-for-spring
- Lake Livingston State Park: http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/lake-livingston/fees-facilities/campsites/campsites-water-electric-sewer-premium
- Gardens: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/9319565
- Huntsville Park: http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/huntsville/fees-facilities/campsites/campsites-water
- Big Thicket National Preserve: http://frenchdistrict.com/texas/articles/big-thicket-national-preserve-reserve-naturelle/
- Caddo Lake Steamboat Company: http://www.nbcdfw.com/traffic/stories/Worth-the-Drive-Unique-Tour-of-Caddo-Lake-89711847.html
- Eastex Canoe Trails: http://www.eastexcanoes.com/
- Tx State Railroad: http://knue.com/texas-state-railroads-annual-salute-to-the-armed-forces-memorial-weekend/