Three differences between cyberbullying and bullying...
- Cyberbullying can happen at any time of day
- The messages or posts could have been posted anonymously and can be hard to trace back
- Deleting these mean messages or posts can be very hard to completely erase
Effects of cyberbullying...
- Use of drugs or alcohol
- Skipping school
- Receive poor grades
- Lower self esteem
- More health problems
Prevention and awareness
Ways for parents to better understand what is happening online...
- Know what sites they are using
- Install parental controls
- Learn about the sites that they like and try some of them with devices like theirs
- Ask for their password but make sure they know they have it for emergencies only
- Ask to friend or follow them, or have another trusted adult to
Reporting a cyberbully...
- Do not respond to the bully and don't forward any messages that the bully sends you
- Keep evidence of their bullying by printing copies, recording times, and save all screenshots
- Block the person who is cyberbullying