Brain-Based Learning in the Digital Age-Part Two
How does the memory work?
When there is something that you want to remember all parts of your brain jump into action!
Creating Strong Memories
Retrieving memories is the best way to remember something. Every time you retrieve a memory it creates a pathway. The stronger pathways you build the stronger memory you create.
Factors that help in memory!
- Balanced diet
- Challenging your brain (Brain games)
How does this information help our teaching?
- Reading a story (Will forget 1st paragraph - when reading 2nd)
- Multiple step problems (while working on first step forget 2nd and 3rd)
- Class (Forget what was just said or directions given)
- Test (May study for test, but not be able to recall)
- Forget what they are doing when they are doing it.
How can we as teachers help?
- Directions in multiple formats
- Over - learn material
- Memory strategies and visual images
- Review information before going to sleep
Students brains are so overloaded with new information on a regular basis with messages, internet and games that it takes more to get them engaged.
What can teachers do to make their lessons stand out?