Friday, June 7, 2019
In this week's newsletter...
- Medicine Pickup: Please remember to pick up any medication your scholar has on file with us on the last day of school. Any medication not picked up at the end of the school year, by the parent or guardian within two (2) weeks, will be destroyed.
- Last day of school is June 12th
This newsletter contains the following information:
- Lunch Menu
- Lunch Account Information
- Classroom News
- Summer Camp Options
- And so much more!!!
- Basketball Camp with Coach Dale and Coach Hess July 15th-see flyer below
- First day of school Wednesday, August 21, 2019
Hello Kestrel Families-
Mrs. Callahan here with the promised update on 2018-2019 yearbooks! I have been working very hard to get a great yearbook together for our kiddos. The rest of the Kestrel staff has gone above and beyond, providing me with pictures and quick feedback to get this done efficiently, so it truly has been a team effort. I hope this is a book that you and your scholars love to look at for years to come.
Here is all the information you need to know about ordering, deadlines, and costs:
- NEW Printing Service: TreeRing is a print on demand service, which means there were no upfront costs for Kestrel and the cost of unsold extras is not passed on to parents or the school. In addition, print on demand is a more eco-friendly option since there are no wasted books or "extras" lying around, plus, TreeRing plants a tree for each book purchased! Win-win!
- Custom Pages: Print on demand also allows a VERY cool option for custom pages. Each yearbook includes two FREE custom pages, where scholars can upload their own pictures from school events to ensure their favorite memories and friends are included in their copy of the yearbook. Additional custom pages can be added for $0.99 per spread.
- Shipping: Unfortunately, due to the late start on the yearbook this year, books will not be delivered by the last day school is in session. However, your yearbook will be shipped to your home, so there will be no need to make an extra trip to campus after school ends to pick up your book. Next year, we will start early enough to allow for (free) shipping to school or ship-to-home options. I am also going to request that TreeRing provide us with a PDF of the "Autograph" pages so that scholars can have their friends and teachers sign their yearbook and then slip the matching page into their yearbook when it arrives.
- Price: The cost of the yearbook is $17.93 for a 60 page, softcover book. Shipping to your home is $7.99, making the total cost for the base yearbook with no upgrades $25.92. Upgrades include: additional custom pages at $0.99 per spread and/or hardcover binding for $6.95.
- Deadlines: I have set a deadline of May 24 to submit custom pages for guaranteed printing and delivery by June 25. However, because this is a print on demand service and all books are being shipped to your home, purchases may be made after this deadline. They just won't be guaranteed by June 25 if ordered after May 24. Typically books will be guaranteed 3 weeks after your order is submitted.
SOUNDS AWESOME, HOW DO I ORDER? (See attached flyer for more details)
- Visit www.treering.com/validate
- Enter your school’s passcode: 1015578386412398
Please don't hesitate to reach out to me with any questions!
Congratulations! Have a great weekend!
First grade had an amazing time at Marbles Museum and IMAX Theater this Tuesday! We got to explore and learn through hands-on play along with getting to view an amazing 3-D video on ocean life!
2nd grade has been looking forward to Suzy Science coming to teach us about Decomposing. Last day of school will be filled with fun and a few tears! Have a great summer!
Middle School Blurb
Have a great weekend!
No news is good news. Have a good weekend!
Congratulations to all of our 8th Graders
Here is an enrichment opportunity for our 8th graders
Durham has gone through many changes in its first 150 years, and we are recruiting young teens to help imagine and predict what it will be like at the ripe age of 200 years. At this free non-residential summer camp at Duke, students will work with a noted futurist and TV host to project Durham’s future. Students will then create an animated view of that future, which will be shown at the closing ceremony of the Durham 150 celebration at the Durham Performing Arts Center on Saturday evening, November 2, 2019.
Duke is looking for 8th and 9th graders who are creative and would enjoy participating in this process. No animation experience is necessary. Students can participate in two ways. The first is to join in a half-day Saturday brainstorming session with futurist, inventor, and TV show host, Chuck Pell on Saturday, May 18 from 10-3 (lunch included). The second way to participate is to help refine the ideas from that Saturday brainstorming session to create the animations that will be shown at DPAC in November. (Students can do both if interested.)
This will all come together at a free animation camp from August 13-15 at Duke. If you are interested in either the brainstorming or animation camp (or both), please let us know here or contact: David Stein, Duke Durham Neighborhood Partnership or email: email@example.com
NASHER CREATES: Kids Studio
June 13, 2019
10:15AM - 12:00PM
Bring the family to a FREE drop-in creative workshop for kids ages 5 to 10! Nasher Creates: Kids Studio events take place most Thursdays, 10:15 AM to Noon. Activities are free (kids 15 and under are always free).
If you have more than 8 people in a group, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the Spanish Corner
It was a pleasure to have your child in the Spanish classroom. Enjoy your summer time.
Join the KHS Band!
Summer Camp Options
Triangle Ultimate is very excited to announce our first ever Girls Summer Camp! This camps curriculum will combine skill development and spirit of the game. Players will to learn disc skills, make new friends, build confidence and have FUN!
Please send your child with a snack, water bottle, and sunscreen!
This camp is for girls in elementary and middle school.
Date & Time:
Session I - June 24 - 28
Session II - July 8 - July 12
Session III - July 22 - July 26
Drop off is at 9 AM
Pick up is at 12 PM
Kestrel Heights Middle School.
4700 S Alston Ave, Durham, NC 27713
$125 per session. $25 discount if you are playing in Triangle Ultimate Youth Summer League. Sign up for YSL first!
All participants will receive a Frisbee, Shirt and 2019 USAU Youth Affiliate Membership.
Youth can Make an Impact in this Election - Candidate Guide Event
Durham’s youth may not be old enough to vote for Mayor and City Council this year, but they can make a huge impact on the upcoming election. We are calling all Durham Youth to take part in Kids Voting Durham’s Youth Candidate Guide events next Friday June 14 from 1 – 4 pm. Every election, youth create the best and most used candidate guide in Durham and help inform both the youth and adult vote.
Students can earn service hours, and the event is entirely youth-led and no special preparation or knowledge of City Government is needed. Plus there are great snacks from Durham local favorites!
And youth don’t need to take my word for it – just listen to KVD student leaders talk about how fun and rewarding this event can be!https://youtu.be/0J6P5JYuOvk
And please help us spread the word widely!
Wishing you happy last days before summer break, Carolyn
Carolyn Kreuger | Kids Voting Durham
721 Foster Street
Durham, North Carolina 27701
Office (919) 560-7321 | Mobile (919) 423-9227 | Fax (919) 560-0530