Social Studies Scoop
A Monthly Bulletin for 6-12 Social Studies Teachers in CCS
Preparing students for success in college, career, and civic life
In this edition:
- New CCS Social Studies Website
- Student Programs: Centennial HS Youth & Government
- Student Programs: Ft. Hayes Milo-Grogan History Project
- Curriculum & Instruction: High School Final Exams
- Professional Development: Middle School Content Experts
- Professional Development: Summer Reimagine Me Conference
- Professional Development: Google Galaxy
- External Professional Development: OCSS Conference
New CCS Social Studies Website
You will notice a new design for the website, but the content from the old site has been transferred over. If you notice something missing, please let Matt Doran know. We will work over the summer to correct any changed direct URLs listed in district documents.
Centennial HS Youth & Government
Ft. Hayes Milo-Grogan Local History Project
Check out the video below to see this outstanding project!
Curriculum & Instruction
High School Final Exams
Per BOE Policy:
All courses granting 1.0 high school credit or more, will administer a final exam. A final exam schedule will be published by the District and according to Ohio’s student attendance requirements, exams will not be administered earlier than the scheduled dates. Seniors with an "A" average in a course may be exempted from a final exam, unless otherwise prohibited by State law.
2018 Final Exams
NEW THIS YEAR
Teachers may choose to administer the district provided final exam or create their own.
Paper copies order of the district exams were due from the building principals to the CCS Print Shop on May 4. Additional copies may be printed in the building if needed. District exams will also be posted in CiMS for teachers to print bubble sheets on May 18 should they want to scan in results. See scanning directions below.
Students are also able to complete the district exams online. See online testing directions below. Online passcodes will be emailed when the window opens on May 18.
If you plan to create your own exam instead, you are free to modify the district final exam to use as your own. Check your email for editable Word versions (Modern World History, American History, and American Government only). Note that if you do make changes, this exam becomes your own and you will not be able to scan with CiMS to receive scores. You could use a regular scantron instead. Reminder: You only need to print these Word versions if you intend to make changes.
Middle School Content Experts PD 2018
The Social Studies Content Experts program is focused on the College, Career, and Civic Life (C3) Framework. Using the Inquiry Design Model from C3, participating teachers are working in teams to develop an original inquiry and field test the inquiry in their classrooms. At the May meeting, we will finalize C3 inquiries and prepare them for publishing to a wider audience!
The final Content Expert meeting will be held at Linmoor Education Center, Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 4:00-6:00 p.m.
Summer Reimagine Me Conference - June 11-13, 2018
On June 11, the DBQ Project will present two social studies workshops. The a.m. session will be an introduction the DBQ Project Method. The p.m. session will be an advanced session focused on source analysis, evidence-based writing and feedback. Participants will receive a DBQ Mini-Q binder (a $325 value).
In additional to contracted presenters, there will be teacher presentations during the conference on June 12, including social studies specific sessions. Matt Doran will also be presenting strategies for active student engagement in social studies and technology integration.
The team of 10 teachers selected by the building principal should sign-up for all three days of the conference. Any additional teachers may sign-up for June 11 and/or June 12. CiMS sign-up is school-specific, so be sure to register for your school section(s). http://columbus.schoolnet.com.
Google Galaxy Conference - June 4-5, 2018
Featured keynote presenters Alice Keeler and Matt Miller will also lead breakout sessions during the event.
CCS Social Studies Coordinator Matt Doran will present two sessions at Galaxy:
- Creating a Digital Interactive Student Notebook with Google Slides - The Interactive Student Notebook (ISN) meets the HyperDoc. Participants will learn how to adapt the popular ISN model for the digital world using Google Slides. HyperDocs provide an inquiry-based experience and the ISN allows students to creatively process key ideas. (June 4)
- Solve a Mystery and Make a Digital Escape with Google Forms - Gamify your classroom using a digital breakout! In this session, participants will solve a mystery, crack a code, and earn a badge using Google Forms. Participants will learn how to use response validation in Google Forms and generate automatic badges/certificates with the autoCrat Add-on. (June 5)
Ohio Council for the Social Studies Conference - October 15-16, 2018
See the flyer below for additional information and registration link.