MLK Parent Newsletter
September 26, 2021
Message from Dr. Sanchez
There is a viral trend where students damage and/or vandalize school property. This began on TikTok and has been called "devious licks". There is information that this viral trend will change its theme every month throughout the year.
This week our upper grade 4th-6th grade boys and girls restrooms were damaged. Soap dispensers were removed from our walls and thrown in the trash cans and safety signs were removed from the walls causing damages.
We have a beautiful well maintained school. Our leadership team visited every upper grade classroom to remind students of the consequences of their actions. We also reminded students that we must take care of our school like we do our homes.
Please helps us reiterate to your children that any damages to school property will be taken seriously. Parents will be billed for the damages caused. Students may be suspended or expelled depending on the severity of the damages.
We appreciate your support in helping us maintain our school in the best shape possible.
- Wednesday, September 29th 5:30-6:30 p.m. Parent Workshop: Understanding Suicide (See flyer below)
- MLK T-shirt and Merchandise Sale ends September 30th.
- Crusader Store will have its grand opening this week. Students can only purchase items items with Crusader Tokens that they have earned for good behavior. Mrs. Bekedam will be sharing more information with students on our weekly announcements.
- MVP's of the Week: Please see below for the names of our MVPS. This week's trait is Most Engaged, next week will be Lexia Superstar. Students selected for MVPs get their prize on Mondays during recess.
- Football/Softball Game: Friday, October 1st MLK at Simas School 3:30 p.m. For the games only family members of the players will be permitted. All underage family members must be accompanied by an adult family member.
- Tuesday, October 5th at 3:00 p.m. School Site Council Meeting and English Learner Advisory Committee Meeting via Zoom. Meeting ID: 895 0573 0867
- No School on Monday, October 18th. Our teachers will have a professional development day.
- Red Ribbon Week is scheduled for October 25th to October 29th. We will have dress up days and daily activities for students to do at school. More information to come in the next parent newsletter.
- HESD is working hard to maintain the health & safety of students and staff. HESD is requesting that parents pre-register their student(s) into the Covid COLOR Testing. Pre-registration will assist in the event testing is necessary. This registration will not replace your consent via a phone call prior to testing but will streamline the process for testing. You may access the following web site for registration: home.color.com/covid/sign-up/start?partner=1663917students