CDW Weekly Wrap-Up
February 11, 2022
A Message from Ms. Santa
Spreading Love and Happiness
One of the ways to spread love and happiness is to recognize what others do to benefit our lives. Many of us don't realize how important we are in our own lives, or the lives of others. We often take the little things that others do for us for granted, but what if we told others how much we appreciate them more often? With Valentine's Day approaching, I felt like this was the perfect timing to spread love and happiness through appreciation. I will start.
- I appreciate the CDW students for working each day to better themselves and grow into positive young adults.
- I appreciate YOU, the parent(s)/guardian(s) of CDW for your continued support in trusting us with your child(ren)'s education.
- I appreciate the CDW teachers, Student Manager, counselor, social workers, and staff who work tirelessly each day to make sure that the CDW students are receiving an engaging education while being socially and emotionally supported.
- I appreciate the Old Tappan Custodial/Maintenance staff for keeping our buildings safe and clean for our students and staff.
- I appreciate our secretaries for providing information to the CDW community and completing so many other important tasks throughout the day to ensure that the schools are running smoothly.
- Lastly, I appreciate Dr. Da Giau, Dr. Sullivan, and the BOE Staff for completing many behind the scenes undertakings to prepare for each day!
Pay it forward by doing something nice for someone without expecting anything in return, or just simply saying, "I appreciate you!"
At the bottom of each CDW Weekly Wrap-Up are upcoming, important dates!
STEM: 6th Grade House Project
Language Arts: the 60's Era
Art at CDW: 6th Grade: Optical Illusion project
OTEA Pure Vida Bracelet Sale ends Friday, February 18th
PTO Club Highlight: TGA Volleyball
The multi-week program that TGA offers is ideal for all level of players. The program is designed to refine skill, achieve success, and promote discovery through play. Although the students learn the fundamentals of passing, setting, serving, and defense, they also learn about teamwork, volleyball terminology, and how to compete.
Dress Code Reminders from the CDW Student Handbook
Outdoor clothing, such as coats, jackets, and hats are encouraged during the appropriate seasons since students may spend part of their day outside. Unless otherwise directed, students may not wear hats in the building.
Mr. L's Updates
Reminders and Updates from CDW's Student Manager
CDW Knights Basketball Updates
After an exciting week of playoffs, both teams defeated Northvale to advance to the championship game. Congratulations, and Good Luck CDW Knights!
Championship Game @ Northern Valley Demarest High School
Monday, February 14th
Girls @ 4:15 PM Old Tappan vs. Harrington Park
Boys @ 5:30 PM Old Tappan vs. Closter
Intramural Sports Program
Ms. Brock - Intramural Dates & Activities
February - BADMINTON
March through April - BASKETBALL
May through June - RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES
Remember, the intramural program runs throughout the year so medical information can be submitted when your child wants to join. Please submit all PPE / HHQ documents to Mrs. McCarthy (McCarthy@nvnet.org) and forward all intramural-related emails to Ms. Brock (Brockl@nvnet.org).
All of this information can also be found in the Student Handbook.
REMINDER: Morning Drop Off Update
- When the temperature drops, doors to both gyms will be open between 8:00-8:05 AM so if it is possible, please drop your child(ren) off earlier to reduce the number of cars arriving together.
- Please have your child(ren) leave your car at the beginning of the cones (or before the cones) to help keep a steady flow of cars.
- If you drop your child(ren) off before the cones, you are permitted to enter the right lane to exit school grounds. This will allow more vehicles to enter the drop-off lane.
- Please do not pull off into the staff spots on the left to drop your child(ren) off.
As per the student handbook, homeroom begins at 8:25 AM so the doors to both gyms will be closed at that time. Students are sent to their lockers at 8:18 AM so that they have enough time to be in homeroom by 8:25 AM. After 8:25 AM, drop off should occur in the front of the building so students can report to the office for a late pass.
8th Grade NVOT High School Conference Information
NVOT conferences will take place on Monday, February 7th through Tuesday, February 15th.
Please remember to tell your child(ren) when the conference takes place. They will not be called out of class! Students are allowed to just leave class for their meeting. Click HERE if you do not remember which time slot you chose.
You MUST complete the high school registration forms in order to receive a high school schedule. The high school has previously sent email notifications regarding this process. You may access the forms using this link.
On January 12, 2022, a virtual meeting was conducted with 8th Grade parents and 8th graders. By clicking on this link, you may access complete Registration and Scheduling information for the 2022-2023 school year at Northern Valley Old High School.
Every 8th Grader has been invited to Mrs. Richardson's Google Classroom and has access to all high school information. If you have any further questions, please email Mrs. Richardson at email@example.com.
Important Reminders for Delayed Openings
- Staff will be available for drop off to begin at 9:30 AM.
- Homeroom begins at 10:00 AM.
- After 10:00 AM, students need to enter through the front door for a tardy pass. Please drive around to the front to drop them off since the other doors will be closed.
Grades 5, 6, 7 Parents
Mrs. Richardson can be reached at 201-664-1475 ext 2203 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Speaking with Mrs. Richardson first will ensure a smooth application process.
Harry Potter Read-Aloud
A sign out sheet will be available each Tuesday in the cafeteria. Students must sign out of lunch to attend.
Nex-Trex Plastic Recycling Challenge
As of today, we have over 1,000 lbs. of plastic!!!
NJHS Information for the Current 7th Grade Students
Art Room Supplies Needed!
- Plastic Bags
See the Flyer from Ms. Watters HERE.
Chromebook Insurance Information
Volunteers play a huge part in the PTO, and what they are able to offer our students and teachers. Without volunteers, many of the programs that students, teachers, and families enjoy will not be able to happen. Volunteer descriptions can be found at: OTPTO.org under "More Info" and then "Flyers."
If you have interest in joining the PTO Board, joining or running a committee, or just want to learn more- please reach out to the PTO by visiting OTPTO.org and selecting "Contact Old Tappan PTO" under the Help tab.
If Your Child is Not Feeling Well
- has a fever. Students should be fever-free for 24 hours without medication prior to returning to school.
- is nauseous or is vomiting.
- has diarrhea
Due to Covid-19, if your child comes to school with the following symptoms, Mrs. McCarthy, our school nurse, will call you to pick up your child from school:
- At least two of the following symptoms: fever, chills, rigors, myalgia, headache, sore throat, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose; OR
- At least one of the following symptoms: cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, new olfactory disorder, new taste disorder.
Any student who falls into one of the categories above will be required to have a negative Covid-19 test to return to school. If your child has a chronic illness with one or more of the above symptoms, please contact Mrs. McCarthy so she is aware.
Anytime your child is not feeling well, and will not attend school, please contact Mrs. McCarthy at 201-664-1475 ext. 2103.
Travel Quarantine Requirements- updated
The CDC has updated its guidelines regarding international travel. Starting November 8, students who travel internationally will not be required to quarantine following their return to the United States. The United States is requiring a negative Covid-19 test to re-enter the US (from any international destination), so quarantine will not be required. We still ask for families to monitor their child(ren) for symptoms upon their return and quarantine if symptoms surface.
You may visit the CDC Travel Website HERE.
ATTENTION ALL CDW PARENTS / GUARDIANS:
Please help keep our students safe during morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up by practicing the following traffic rules.
1. Please do not enter the BOE parking to drop-off or pick-up your child(ren). Many of our students use that entrance to walk to their homeroom locations or pass through when walking home at the end of the day. We ask that you refrain from entering the BOE parking lot from 8:00 AM to 8:30 AM and from 2:30 PM to 3:10 PM.
2. Please do not drive through any of the staff parking spots along Interschool Drive. Students should have a clear - safe - path to the sidewalk as they exit their vehicles.
3. If you drop your child(ren) off before the traffic cones on Interschool Drive, you can enter the right lane. This change in lanes will expedite your exit off school property.
- The drop-off line is a continuously moving line. Please do not park in the staff parking spaces along Interschool Drive to drop off your child(ren). Children are exiting their vehicles and heading towards the sidewalk, and this causes an unsafe walking zone.
- Please remind your child(ren) to exit the vehicle and walk behind your car.
- Parent(s)/Guardian(s) should not exit the vehicle. If your child(ren) needs assistance, the staff members are there to help.
- Please do not use the right lane to drop off your child(ren). This lane is designated for cars moving through to the exit.
- Please arrange a meeting area with your child(ren) so that you can locate them efficiently.
- Please do not park and/or exit your vehicle regardless of your child(ren) being at TBD or CDW.
- Please do not block designated emergency lanes that connect TBD and CDW.
General Traffic Rules Regarding Parking
- Never park in a "No Parking, Fire Lane." These lanes are designated with yellow paint in diagonal lines on the pavement along with the words, "No Parking Fire Lane."
- Never park along a curb that is painted yellow and leave your vehicle unattended.
- Do not double park (park your vehicle beside another vehicle that is in a designated parking space).
Thanks for keeping our kids safe!
Mark Your Calendar
Monday, February 14th~ The Board of Education meeting will be in the Lynch Gym at 8:00 PM.
Tuesday, February 15th~ The PTO Meeting will be at 7:00 PM in the CDW Media Center.
Monday, February 21st-Friday, February 25th~ February Recess- No School for Students
Monday, March 7th~ The Board of Education meeting will be in the Lynch Gym at 8:00 PM.
Wednesday, March 9th~ Marking Period 3 Interim Reports available at 12:00 PM
Wednesday, March 23rd~ Dr. Fowlin Assembly for Grades 5 and 6.
Thursday, March 24th~ Dr. Fowlin Assembly for Grades 7 and 8; Parent Assembly at 6:00 PM
Monday, March 28th~ The Board of Education meeting will be in the Lynch Gym at 8:00 PM.
Wednesday, March 30th-Friday, April 1st~ 8th Grade Trip