Ms. Hallman's Parent Update
Week of Sept. 28, 2015
- We completed our study of communities and geography and will begin science this week with our study of solids, liquids and magnets. Students always seem to enjoy the "hands on" experiments that correlate with the science lessons.
- IXL- I sent home the sheet in last week's communication folder with your child's individual access code. I hope you have had the opportunity to explore the programs with your child. Please let me know if you experience problems logging in at home since this is a program we will be using all year. Our school has purchased the license for this online learning tool that correlates to 2nd grade math and language arts academic standards.
- Scholastic Books should arrive this week. Thank you for ordering books for your child. It lets them know that you value reading.
- With the weather being chilly in the morning and many children wearing jackets to please label all garments and keep an eye on lost and found if you are missing things. We already have a large collection of lost garments.
Math Place Value -challenge M11-M15 This deals with place value in the thousands place
Math Even and Odd A6, A7, A8, A9, A10 (over the next 2 weeks)
Math- Even and odd numbers; Number line (over the next 2 weeks)
RTI- If your child made a 1 or 2 on the math assessment, we will continue to practice during our RTI time
Science- We will begin to explore the attributes or characteristics of solids and liquids.
ELA- Students will begin to observe verb endings like "ed, ing and s" , prefixes, and syllables.
Please look over your child's work and initial each of the pages.
COMMUNICATION FOLDERS ARE DUE TOMORROW.
1- The student has very little knowledge on the concept being taught. (less than 60%)
2- The student is developing in the area of the concept that is being taught.(60%-70%)
3- The student has mastered the concept being taught. (80%-100%)
4- The student is performing above what is expected with no help from the teacher.
India Hook Elementary News
- Safe Routes to School - Walk to School Day
International Walk to School Day 2015 will fall on Wednesday, October 7th.
South Carolina had the highest participation rate in the country last year with International Walk to School Day! We had more than 150 schools participating across the Upstate. For more information please see the newsletter below.Newsletter
- 21st Century Pirate Program If you are interested in your child participating in the free after school program please register on line @ www.IndiaHookPirates.com. If you have any questions you can email Kimberly Johnson email@example.com or call 803-524-7361. The program begins Tues. Sept. 15th for those already registered.
- Challenger Afterschool Program is full at this time but students can be added to a waiting list if you are interested.
- Meal Payment Procedure
Students in elementary and middle schools will be allowed to charge up to $10. When the student's balance reaches the threshold of $10, the student will be served an alternate meal. The alternate meal will consist of a sandwich, fruit (1/2 cup), and milk.
IHES is so fortunate to have wonderful parents willing to volunteer. If you are interested in volunteering, please be sure to follow the application process outlined below.
All volunteers must go through the application process to get an ID card and to be an approved volunteer. Name on volunteer card and state issued id should match.
If you plan to eat lunch with your child during the school year, please read and sign our visitor agreement. Visitor Agreement
October 6 - Showmar's- mention IHES PTA @ point of purchase
October 7th International Walk to School Day 2015
October 12th - Student Holiday
Thurs. Dec. 3rd 7:00 pm 2nd -3rd Grade Christmas Musical "Arf on the Rooftop"
PARENT INFO FROM THE PRINCIPAL
As we begin our year we are focused on how we can improve the health and wellness of all of our students. Our SIC goals will focus on fitness and healthy living.We plan to build fitness trails, create fitness mentors for our students that need that, and explore the possibility of a community garden.
Any changes to the way your child is normally dismissed from school need to be communicated in writing. Please do not call your child's teacher to communicate a dismissal change. If it is an emergency, you can call the front office personnel to assist you.
SEPTEMBER LUNCH CALENDAR MENU
SEPTEMBER LUNCH CALENDAR MENU
- Please find us on Facebook ( www.facebook.com/IHESPTA ) & sign up for our text remind services by texting: @ihespta to 81010
- Thank you for sending in your box tops! Last week the school collected 3,584 box tops!!! Way to go that is awesome! Collection will take place every Friday.
BOX TOP collections every Friday. This year PTO is aiming high to reach a goal of $1958.00 Sam's Club has partnered with BOX TOP for EDUCATION and is offering 100 extra eBox tops if you purchase 3 BOX TOP items on the same day. This equals to $10. per receipt for our school. All you have to do is take a picture of the receipt, email the picture to firstname.lastname@example.org and receive a unique code. Enter your code at SamsClub.com/BoxTops to send our school the eBox tops.
- See what PTA has planned!