News From the Elementary Office, September 2022
IT'S A GREAT DAY TO BE A JET!
Our teachers are in their classrooms, our students are moving from class to class, drop-off and pick-up are moving well, and people of all ages are smiling. It has been a great start, and our students are acclimating themselves nicely to their new classrooms. Yes, it is always a great day to be an AC Jet!
- Bus Riders
- Car Riders must be picked up in the elementary car line if they do not have MS/HS siblings
- Car Riders may be picked up in the High School/Middle School line if a HS/MS student picks them up from the cafeteria and walks with them to the car
- Walkers- students must cross 124 at the designated crosswalk
- Minger Pre-K utilizes the West parking lot at the W-4 doors
Please communicate ALL dismissal changes to the elementary office before 2:00. Mrs. Cochran will then inform the classroom teachers of changes at the end of the day. We ask that you do not send Remind messages or emails to teachers regarding dismissal changes as they are busy with students and may miss a communication. Thank you.
- As many of you know, Mrs. Dines (High Ability) and Mrs. Wenger (English Language Learners) have resigned from AC. Each of these ladies will be greatly missed. In their absence, Mr. Yates will work with teachers to ensure that our ELL students receive the support they need in the classroom. And, High Ability students will receive differentiated instruction, acceleration, and enrichment within the classroom. Please reach out if you have questions or concerns regarding your student's individual needs.
- Miss Jeni Covington will fill in for Haley Baker's maternity leave through the first semester.
- Aubrey Pulver will work as an instructional aide in Mrs. Lengerich's room.
- Sadie Gerber has joined our Kindergarten team as an instructional aide.
STEM- PROJECT-BASED LEARNING PD
PBL is a teaching method in which students learn by actively engaging in real-world and personally meaningful projects. Related lessons are threaded throughout the reading, writing, math, and science/social studies blocks and end with a project completed independently or within collaborative groups.
The annual Body Safety Program will take place at Adams Central Elementary School on Tuesday, September 27, 2022. More info will be coming home soon with your student.
As always, please feel free to reach out to me with any questions, comments, or concerns.
Sarah Rhymer, MSW, LCSW, LSSW
HEGGERTY PHONEMIC AWARENESS
PHONEMIC AWARENESS is a foundational skill for learning to read and write. Each day Prek-Grade 2 students will participate in a short lesson that will help them develop an awareness of the sounds of our language. Students will learn to:
●isolate sounds in words
●blend sounds to make words
●segment words into sounds
●manipulate sounds in spoken words
The District Calendar can be found here. Upcoming Elementary events are as follows:
- Tuesday, September 27: Body Safety
- Wednesday, October 5: PTO Moments with Mom
- Thursday, October 6: Cyber Safety Parent Night, 6:30 PM, Cafeteria
- Friday, October 7: VIP/Grandparents Day, 1:00
- October 17-21: Fall Break, No school
- October 26-27: Parent-Teacher Conferences, 3:30-7 PM
- Monday, November 7: PTO Meeting, 6;30 PM, Elementary Library
- Thursday, November 10: PTO Popcorn and Painting
- Nov. 23-25: Thanksgiving Break
- December 7-8: PTO Santa Shop
- December 15: Grades 1-3 Christmas Program, 7:00 PM
- December 23-January 3: Christmas Break, No school
- Monday, January 9: PTO Meeting, 6;30 PM, Elementary Library
- Monday, January 16: MLK Day, No School (possible make-up day)
- Tuesday, January 24: PTO Floral Class
- Wednesday, February 1: Professional Development for Teachers, No School
- TBD: PTO Matball Game
- Monday, February 20: Presidents' Day, No School (possible make-up day)
- March 8-9: IREAD-3 Testing for 2nd and 3rd grade (3rd graders who passed last year do not retest)
- Monday, March 6: PTO Meeting, 6;30 PM, Elementary Library
- March 24-31: Spring Break, No School
- Friday, April 7: Good Friday, No School
- Wednesday, April 19: PTO Donuts with Dad
- Friday, April 21: PTO Basketball Bash and Silent Auction
- Thursday, April 27: 4th Grade Indiana History Program, 7:00 PM
- Monday, May 1: PTO Meeting, 6;30 PM, Elementary Library
- Tuesday, May 9: KDG Program, 6:30 PM
- Tuesday, May 23: 5th-Grade Graduation Program, 7:00 PM
- Wednesday, May 24: Last Student Day