NOC code: 3141
What are Speech pathologists?
essential skills and technical skills
- strong communication skills- be able to communicate to family members of patients
- interpersonal skills
- program development - to build a program specifically for a patient
- critical thinking- to be able to change things and figure things wrong quickly
- teamwork- because sometimes speech pathologists work in a group
- patience- it may take a long time to fix or better speech for patients so you would have to be patient with them
- compassion- be able to understand what some families are going through and the frustrations that people feel when faced with speech problems
Salary and future outlook
The future outlook for speech pathologist is good. The employment change is expected to go up 23% from 2010 to 2020 providing many job openings. In the future, many more seniors are going to need speech therapy as more and more people are getting older from the baby boomers. Many seniors have speech problems or swallowing disorders as they get older which means they would need a speech pathologist. More and more children have developmental delays which causes late speech as well as generate stuttering or other speech problems.