Wednesday, May 22, 2019
ENROLLMENT PACKETS FOR 2019-2020
SUMMER OFFICE HOURS
Much preparation for the 2019-2020 school year takes place over the summer months at Legacy Christian. If you have business with the school we encourage you to call or email at your convenience. At the west campus, office hours will be from 8:00 am-12:00 pm, Monday-Thursday. On Friday the office is closed. The office will be closed July 1-5 and also on August 1.
*The elementary office is closed for the summer.
*Reminder that Final Tuition payments are due in June unless you have made arrangements with the Finance Committee. Thanks you for your prompt payments!
HOT LUNCH ACCOUNTS
If your student is in K-7th grade and they have a positive balance remaining in their hot lunch account, it will roll over to next year. If your student is in 8th grade but you have a younger sibling, we will automatically transfer the funds to the younger student. If you have an 8th grader with no younger siblings a check will be sent to you for the amount remaining in their account. Please remember that all accounts need to be caught up for your child(ren) to get their report cards. Please send money in before the end of the school year!
LAST ALL SCHOOL WORSHIP
We had an amazing Walk-a-Jog-a-Thon this year! We received an anonymous donation of $5,000 which brought our total to $12,400! Thank you so much for all your support of our awesome school! #LCshines
JOIN US AND HELP US PROMOTE LEGACY!
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0D44A8AA2BA13-cutlerville5 Please note: Young students MUST be accompanied by an adult! Candy donations should be dropped off in either school office by Wednesday, June 5. If you have any questions, please contact Kim Zwyghuizen (616-455-3860).
ALSO - If you still have your Legacy yard sign from previous years, please put it out in your yard now! This is the time many families are considering where to send their students in the fall. We want to continue to get our name into the community! It's so nice to see the "What's your Legacy?" signs pop up around the area! There is no charge for these signs and they are available in both buildings near the office. We are proud of Legacy Christian and everything we have to offer! Take one home TODAY!
WEST CAMPUS NEWS AND NOTES
- IPOD Worship - May 24 - All School Small Groups NEXT: JUNE 7 - All School Worship
- WC Worship - May 24 - All School Small Groups NEXT: JUNE 7 - All School Worship
- Tomorrow, Thursday, May 23, is our annual Pops Concert when the west campus music groups perform for and with the elementary students. Included are performances by all of our bands and orchestras as well as a sing-a-long with all the students. While our target audience is the elementary student body, friends and family are welcome to attend. The concert will take place at 1:30 pm, in the west campus gym.
- 8th Grade Graduation - Legacy Christian will be holding its 8th grade graduation on Tuesday, June 4, 2019, at 7:00 pm. The ceremony will be held at Corinth Reformed Church. The church is located at 129 - 100th St., SE, Byron Center, MI, 49315. Come and celebrate this special day with Legacy Christian, the 8th graders and their families!
- The 6th, 7th, & 8th grade orchestra students are participating in the prelude for the 8th grade graduation. More information will be coming with the 6th and 7th graders to determine which students are available to play for this optional activity.
- 8th graders should turn in their white LCS band/choir/orchestra shirt to the office or to Mr. Haagsma. 7th grade students may keep the shirt or return it if a change of size is anticipated.
- 8th Grade Graduation Party - Tuesday, June 4, from 9:00 pm-12:30 am. An email was sent to parents with detailed information. If you did not receive it please contact Amy Schaaf (firstname.lastname@example.org). Cost is $25 to attend. Please have your money turned in by Thursday, May 30. You can turn your payment in to the west campus. Cash or checks payable to Amy Schaaf.
- 8th grade class trip to Cedar Point is scheduled for Tuesday, May 28. All students need to be at the west campus by 5:45 am. The bus will leave promptly at 6:00 am. Students can be picked up at 12:00 am. There is NO SCHOOL for 8th graders on Wednesday, May 29.
End of year information for the Middle School—Here are dates and information for the last weeks of school for 7th-8th graders:
· The 8th graders will begin their year end project on Thursday, May 30.
· The 7th graders will have exams Tuesday, June 4, and Wednesday, June 5. Both days will have an 11:22 am dismissal for 7th graders. Please remember there will be no busing at that time.
· 8th Grade Graduation Rehearsal will be Tuesday, June 4, from 9:00-11:30 am. Students need to be at school by 9:00 am and will be bused to and from the church.
Future 7th/8th Grade Parents—Next summer there will be the bi-annual Washington DC Trip. The trip is for any interested 7th/8th grade student and their families. We will be going with a group from Byron Center Christian. The date for the trip is June 9-13, 2020. There will be an informational meeting next Fall at Byron Center Christian Middle School. Please come if you are interested! Curt DeYoung will be traveling with the Legacy group. If you have any questions, please contact Curt DeYoung at email@example.com. An informational flyer is attached to the newsletter and available in the office.
7th Graders will go to Michigan’s Adventure for their class trip on Thursday, June 6. They will leave after the start of school and return to school at 6:00 pm.
ELEMENTARY NEWS AND NOTES
- Weekly Worship - May 24 - All School Small Groups
Next: May 31 - Haagsma: Favorite Songs
- Please check the Lost and Found table near the office. There are many items that need to be "found" before the end of the school year! All items that are not claimed will be donated!
4th Grade West Campus Visit: 4th graders are looking forward to visiting the west campus this afternoon. Parents are welcome to meet the students at the west campus and participate in the tour also. 4th graders will be arriving at the west campus at about 1:15 pm. They will meet with Mr. Bonnema and the office personnel. They will then tour the west campus and visit the 5th grade Wax Museum before returning to the elementary campus.
- All incoming Kindergarten, Young 5's and Preschool parents for 2019-20, please remember to have a green health form filled out over the summer with your doctor’s stamp or signature on it. There will be a form included in your enrollment packet. A new form is required every year for the “early childhood” classes. PLEASE NOTE—If your child has an immunization waiver you will need to make an appointment with the Kent County Health Dept. We can no longer supply necessary paperwork out of the school office. All health forms will need to be turned in to the school office before your student can begin classes in the fall. School starts on Aug. 26, 2019.
- Students should return all library books by Friday, May 24. Please search your home and vehicle to find all the books that your child has checked out. You may want to make a trip to the public library to get some books for your child to read during the last few weeks of school!
Elementary Field Day 2019 will be held on Wednesday, June 5, and we will need volunteers to help run the different events that will take place. We need your energy! Activities will begin after lunch, approximately 12:00-2:50 (we are asking volunteers to show up at 11:45 to set up, IF ABLE; if you cannot make it that early, do not let that deter you!). If interested in volunteering, please sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A0D45AEAC28A7FF2-field or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Please note the following dates for our summer schedule:
- June 6, 13, 27
- July 11 & 25
- August 8, 15, 29
Cash and Carry is open on Thursdays from 7:45-10:00 am, at the west campus.
If you want information on how TRIP works or how to sign up for TRIP, please contact Melody Newhouse (243-6472) or email email@example.com. You can find a copy of the TRIP order form on the Legacy website under “Current Parents” heading, then click on “TRIP”.
The 2019 Colgate/Meijer playground challenge continues until the end of June. You can help us win up to $750 in Meijer gift cards. VOTE for Legacy every day at https://www.terracycle.com/en-US/contests/colgatemeijerplayground2019 . You can vote once a day per email address. Do you have email addresses that you used to vote with in previous years? All of those addresses are still verified and can be voted with immediately. Voting is very easy and takes less than a minute! We have slipped down to 6th place - please take a moment to VOTE. Thanks to everyone who has been voting - keep up the great work!
Each oral care item that we send in during the contest also counts as a vote. What can we send in? Toothbrushes, toothbrush packaging, toothpaste tubes and caps, toothpaste boxes, mouthwash containers, floss picks and floss containers. ANY and ALL brands and ALL sizes are accepted. These and all other TerraCycle items can be dropped off in the rollout located by the TRIP office at the west campus or at the TerraCycle center by the gym at the elementary.
FAMILIES BEING PRAYED FOR THIS WEEK BY LEGACY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
Prayer is a powerful gift! LCS has always been able to pray for requests as they arise. Our school has also decided to lift up families weekly in prayer. For the remainder of the school year please read which families are being covered in prayer. During that week each student will receive a prayer tag for them to keep and remember they are being covered in extra prayers.
- Jeff & Lynelle VanderWoude - Chase - 5th
- Matt & Brittany VanNoord - Brady - 5th, Hudson - 2nd, Griffin - Kdgn
Troy & Jamie VanOrman - Elise - 1st, Caleb - Prek
- Tim & Angela VanSolkema - Camren - 7th, Kasjen - 5th, Kensingtyn - 2nd
- Ed & Jessica VanWinkle - Bennett - Prek, Elizabeth - Prek
- Adam & Kate VanWyngarden - Abigail - 5th, Isaac - 1st
- Jeremy & Nikki Veenstra - Aurora - Kdgn
Legacy Summer Stay-in-Shape Tutoring: Looking to keep your kids academically IN SHAPE through the summer? Summer Stay-In-Shape is a program designed to maintain or improve key grade level academic concepts and skills through individualized instruction. This will be available for students entering Kindergarten through 5th grades and will be available for both English and Spanish Immersion students. Our tutors will be LCS staff members, Lisa Boone, Laurie Bosma, and Erika Cole. All sessions will meet for either 30 minutes or 60 minutes. 30 minute sessions will cost $15 and 60 minute sessions will cost $30. Registration forms will be available in the office and the newsletter, starting May 15, and deadline for registration will be May 31. Any questions email Lisa Boone, LCS Educational Support Services teacher, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
South Christian Volleyball 56ers Camp: This camp is for 2019-2020 5th and 6th graders. Monday nights, Sept. 9-Oct. 14, 5:30-7:00 pm. Run by both current and former SC Volleyball staff and players. A link to the registration form can be found at southchristiansports.com. For questions, contact Heather Kwantes, email@example.com.
Lacrosse Open House - Tuesday, June 11 (5:00-7:00 pm), in the SCHS Learning Gym. To find out more, visit https://southchristiansports.com/2019/05/10/lacrosse-open-house/. Meet the South Christian coaches and interact with the current and future players. Representatives from the Athlete's Connection will be on site for students to discuss and try out lacrosse equipment.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT NEEDED - LaGrave Ave. Christian Reformed Church, a large church in the downtown Heartside area, has an opening for a part-time (20-25 hours a week) administrative assistant to join our 12+ staff that supports each other and shares camaraderie. Duties include answering phones, greeting members and visitors, maintaining the church calendar/schedule, database and clerical functions. Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, and computer proficiency necessary. Send inquiries of interest or resumes to: LaGrave Ave. CRC, Attn: Ruth Ringnalda, 107 LaGrave, SE; Grand Rapids, MI, 49503 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Dates and Events
23 - POPS Concert at West Campus (1:30 pm)
23/24 - Last Days of Prek Classes
27 - NO SCHOOL - MEMORIAL DAY
28 - 8th Grade Cedar Point Trip
29 - 8th Grade - NO SCHOOL
29 - Kindergarten Year End Program - Elementary (7:00 pm)
31 - Enrollment Packets Due for 2019-2020
30/31 - 8th Grade Projects
3 - 8th Grade Projects
4 - 8th Grade Graduation at Corinth - (7:00 pm)
4-5 - 7th Grade Exams
5 - Elementary Field Day in Afternoon
6 - IPOD to Millenium Park
6 - 7th Grade Trip to Michigan Adventure
7 - All School Worship at Elementary (8:15 am)
7 - Last Day of School - 11:30 Dismissal
7 - Elementary Report Cards Go Home
13 - West Campus Report Cards Mailed