The District Insider
Volume 10, Issue 1 | August 2022
Now Hiring at Grand Forks Public Schools!
- 6th Grade Teacher - South Middle School
- 6th Grade Teacher - Nathan Twining Elementary & Middle School
- Library Media Specialist - Phoenix Elementary School
- Teacher - Mentor Center
- Social Worker (part-time) - Nathan Twining Elementary & Middle School/Community High School
- Social Worker - South Middle School/J Nelson Kelly Elementary School
- Social Worker - Discovery Elementary School
- 1st Grade Teacher - Lake Agassiz Elementary School
- 7th Grade Social Studies Teacher - Valley Middle School
- Music Teacher - Valley Middle School
- 6th Grade Social Studies Teacher - Valley Middle School
- Math Teacher - South Middle School
- Vocal Music Teacher - Century Elementary School
- Social Studies Teacher - Grand Forks Central High School
- Create a Teacher Application
- Innovations Teacher - South Middle School
- School Counselor - Elroy Schroeder Middle School
- Science Teacher - South Middle School
- Student Behavior Facilitator - Century Elementary School
- Special Education Teacher - Severe/Multiple Handicapped Classroom
- MTSS Coordinator - South Middle School
- Early Childhood Special Education Teacher
- Special Education Teacher - Intellectual/Cognitive Disabilities
- Special Education Teacher - Autism
- Special Education Teacher
- Speech Language Pathologist
- Special Education Teacher - Emotional Disturbance - middle school
- Teacher - Head Start
- School Counselor - Elementary
- School Psychologist
- Unlicensed Assistive Personnel - Wilder Elementary School
- Title I Paraprofessional - Wilder Elementary School
- 504 Paraprofessional - Schroeder Middle School
- Cook Manager - Red River High School
- Cook Manager - Viking Elementary School
- HVAC Technician
- Title I Interventions Paraprofessional - Discovery Elementary School
- Secretary/Paraprofessional - Ben Franklin Elementary School
- Tutor - Mentor Center
- Secretary - Mentor Center
- Site Coordinator - ENCORE Program
- Paraprofessional - ENCORE Program
- Driver - Child Nutrition
- EL Paraprofessional - K-5/Elementary
- English Teacher - Red River High School
- Resource Education Paraprofessional - Red River High School
- Library Paraprofessional
- Cook Application Pool
- Mental Health Therapist
- Paraprofessional Float - Head Start
- Secondary (6th-12th grades) Paraprofessional
- Elementary (Kindergarten-5th grades) Paraprofessional
- EL Paraprofessional - 6th/12th grades
- Paraprofessional - Interventions School Within a School (SWIS)
Todorovic Named ND Teacher of the Year Finalist
Ivona Todorovic, an English Language (EL) teacher at Red River High School, has been selected as one of four 2023 North Dakota Teacher of the Year finalists.
The finalists include Abby DuBord (Burleigh County), Megan Margerum (Cass County), and Megan Wald (Emmons County).
In May, State School Superintendent Kirsten Baesler honored teachers from across North Dakota as county Teachers of the Year. The four state Teacher of the Year finalists were drawn from that group. The superintendent plans to honor the state Teacher of the Year finalists at celebrations to be held this fall at their respective schools.
Todorovic had also been named Grand Forks Public Schools Teacher of the Year this spring.
The Teacher of the Year selection process is detailed in state law. The finalists will be interviewed by an eight-member screening committee, which will choose the 2023 Teacher of the Year. Baesler and Governor Doug Burgum are required to announce the winner by September 30.
North Dakota’s Teacher of the Year will become a candidate for the national Teacher of the Year award, which is selected by the Council of Chief State School Officers, a Washington, D.C.-based organization that represents state education interests.
The 2023 North Dakota Teacher of the Year winner will receive a $15,000 grant to use for promoting the teaching profession.
Todorovic began her career with Grand Forks Public Schools in 1995 and worked as a para-educator through May 2003. She was re-hired in August 2005 as an EL teacher. She has worked at Century Elementary School, South Middle School, and Red River High School. She is also the head of the EL department head at Red River.
“Ivona is a true believer that students are capable of more than they give themselves credit for,” Andrea Eklund, high school literacy coach, shared in her nomination letter. “She helps students understand their reading levels but pushes them out of their comfort zones by encouraging them to read up when opportunities present themselves. She makes sure to provide a variety of texts and writing assignments to stretch students' reading and writing skills as well as their critical thinking
Todorovic has co-taught classes with a number of teachers at Red River High School. Co-teaching is a collaborative practice where two teachers, often a general educator and specialist, work together to plan, organize, and deliver instruction. Todorovic has provided professional development on the co-teaching model for her colleagues.
“This year I had the privilege to collaborate with Ivona and another teacher for a co-teaching semester-long professional development class,” said Eklund. “She saw a need to support teachers who were asked to co-teach classes. She brought her expertise as an EL teacher and co-teacher as we created content that would support all students in an inclusive classroom setting. I learned so much from her experiences and knowledge, and the teachers who took the course said the same.”
In her nomination, Jamilee Morseth (science teacher, Red River High School) wrote, “I co-taught EL Biology with Ivona for seven years. She made me a better teacher by creating engaging lessons for our students. She helps with the cultural aspect of all her students by helping them maintain and
respect their cultures while succeeding in the United States. She collaborates with her student’s families weekly and actually goes to their houses to provide support for both the students and their families.”
Todorovic’s passion extends beyond the classroom.
“Ivona is deeply invested in supporting her students,” said Eklund. “The Building Bridges program at Red River hosts a Celebrating Our Cultures event annually, and the preparation, coordination, and time that is required is truly something to admire. From providing students with spaces to practice their performances to coordinating with families and businesses to donate supplies and food, Ivona's involvement has helped the event grow. This is a night where students can showcase their cultures and share it with the community.”
Todorovic is also a part-time instructor in the teaching and leadership department at the University of North Dakota, where she teaches cultural diversity courses.
(left-to-right) Principal Dr. Kris Arason, School Board President Dr. Eric Lunn, Todorovic, Assistant Superintendent of Elementary Education Dr. Brenda Lewis, Chief Academic Officer Amy Bartsch, Grand Forks Foundation for Education Executive Director Emilia Hodgson, Associate Superintendent of Secondary Education Catherine Gillach, and Superintendent Dr. Terry Brenner
Grand Forks Public Schools Announces Administrative Assignment
Cassie Riewer has been named the next associate principal at Lake Agassiz Elementary School.
Riewer has been the instructional design coach at Wilder Elementary School since August 2019, and a Title I Coordinator at the school since August 2021. Prior to her current roles, Riewer had worked as a literacy specialist, as well as a kindergarten teacher, at Wilder Elementary School.
She has served on several committees, including Teacher Advisory, Staff Evaluation, Multi-Tiered Systems of Support-Academics Leader, and District Literacy.
Riewer holds a bachelor’s degree in elementary education and a master’s degree in reading education, both from the University of North Dakota. Riewer completed her educational leadership licensure through Minnesota State University Moorhead in 2019. She holds a K-12 principal credential, kindergarten endorsement, and elementary reading credential in the state of North Dakota.
The appointment is due to the hiring of current associate principal Dr. Anthony Vandal as the next principal of Valley Middle School.
The administrative assignment was approved by the Grand Forks School Board on July 11.
Registration, Open House Dates Announced for Grand Forks Public Schools
Grand Forks Public Schools has announced school registration and open house dates and times for the 2022-2023 school year.
Classes will begin August 24 for students in kindergarten through 9th grade and August 25 for students in 10th through 12th grades.
- Elementary school offices are now open and you can register your student(s) by contacting the main office at the school.
- Elroy Schroeder Middle School: August 9 - 7th & 8th grades - 9 a.m.-3 p.m.; August 11 - 6th Grade, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Nathan Twining Elementary & Middle School: fall registration will be conducted online
- South Middle School: August 9 - 7th and 8th grades - 9 a.m.-3 p.m.; August 11 - 6th Grade and EL, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Valley Middle School: August 9 - 7th & 8th grades - 9 a.m.-2 p.m.; August 11 - 6th Grade, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Grand Forks Central High School: fall registration will be conducted online
- Red River High School: fall registration will be conducted online
Open House Schedule:
- Elementary schools: August 23 from 4-6 p.m.
- Elroy Schroeder Middle School: August 22 from 4-6 p.m.
- South Middle School: August 22 from 4-6 p.m.
- Valley Middle School: August 22 from 5-7 p.m.
- Grand Forks Central High School: August 24 from 4-6 p.m.
- Community High School: August 25 from 4-6 p.m.
- Red River High School: August 24 from 4-6 p.m.
- August 8: Grand Forks School Board meeting (Mark Sanford Education Center, 6 p.m.)
- August 16: Grand Forks Air Force Base School Board annual meeting (Nathan Twining Elementary and Middle School, 12 p.m.)
- August 22-23: Teacher Professional Development Days
- August 22: Grand Forks School Board meeting (Mark Sanford Education Center, 6 p.m.)
- August 24: First Day of School (Kindergarten-9th Grades)
- August 25: First Day of School (10th-12th Grades)
- September 2: No School K-12 (Professional Development)
- September 5: No School K-12/District Office Closed (Labor Day)