VO News You Can Use
Dr. O's Weekly Parent Newsletter
NCSD Mission Statement
Developing each student's potential with a world class education.
March 9, 2020
Dear Village Oaks Families,
I hope you all enjoyed your weekend! We are looking forward to another fun-filled week at VO. Please see a few updates below:
- Join us on Monday, March 9th at McDonald's on 21050 Haggerty Road Novi from 5:00pm-8:00pm for another VOICE Restaurant Night. We hope you can attend this night of fun (see flyer below)!
- Coronavirus(COVID-19)--Please visit the district site for important information regarding the virus: https://www.novi.k12.mi.us/community/school-health/coronavirus-covid-19
- March is reading month is underway at VO and we've had a lot of fun as a school with many more activities in store. As a reminder, check out our Facebook website https://www.facebook.com/NoviVillageOaks each night at 7:00pm to tune in for a new bedtime story from a staff member.
- On Thursday, March 12th we will have a half day of school. Students will be dismissed at 12:30pm.
Giving Warms the HEART
The Winter Spirit Wear Sale has been extended!
Orders can be placed on the following website using this link: https://stitchandscribe.com/collections/village-oaks-spirit-wear/Village-Oaks-Spirit-Wear
20% of all spirit wear sales will go directly back to VO!
If you need additional info, please let me know.
Candice Kronsbein, CEO
Stitch & Scribe Inc.
2020 Novi Summer Camp
PAASN - 4th Annual Together We Rise event
Date: March 31
Time: 7 PM
Where: Novi Public Library
Register to Volunteer: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/508084CA8AC29A4F94-together1
Questions? Please email Tia Marie email@example.com
Please help us to purchase the necessary supplies by donating at:
Each $25 provides one child with a duffel bag of supplies so keep in mind that a $100 will help four children!
Last year we raise over $3000.00 and were able to do nearly 100 bags. We had 56 volunteers come out to help pack.
Thank you for your continued support.
VO Important Reminders
- Make sure you have provided our secretaries with an emergency contact number of someone who we can reach out to if you are unavailable to pick up your child from school.
- During dismissal time, while in the car loop please stay in your car at all times, continue to move forward as directed by staff members, and keep your pets in your cars at all times.
- Please refrain from parking in handicapped spots if you are not handicapped.
- We realize that many parents arrive before 4:00 pm to pick their child up, but we ask all parents to please wait outside of our building until dismissal time. We understand occasionally parents need to pick up their children up early for a wide range of reasons, but this should not be regular occurrence.
- After 3:20pm we ask parents to please park their car in the parking lot and refrain from using the parking spaces in front of the school in the car loop. We have had several incidents this year during dismissal where cars backing out of the parking spots have nearly collided with cars moving forward in the car loop. We have also experienced students running through traffic to get to their parked car in the front parking spots.
We thank you all for your consideration and continued support!
A Greener VO
Energy Saving Can Add Up!
Reducing household energy usage not only helps the environment, but can also help you save big on monthly utility bills. Check out the Government’s Energy Star website to learn more about which home appliances earn their awards for being energy efficient.
Fleece & Thank You Day
The event date is Saturday, March 28, 2020, from 12p-5p at Suburban Collection Showplace. Admission is complimentary and registration on the event site is encouraged.
Please remember to send a daily SNACK for your student!
AAUW-NN "Let's Read Math" Program
2nd and 3rd grade parents please see the attached flyer. The AAUW-NN Let’s Read Math series will again be held at the Novi Public Library from 1-2:30 pm March 14, 21, and 28. Each session begins with literature and is followed by math extension activities. Each week there will be a focus on a different grade level appropriate math concept. Parents are expected to attend with their children.
2020 Celebration of Thinking
VO Yearbook 2019-2020
Are you looking for ways where your valuable time can make a HUGE impact?
The Novi Educational Foundation (NEF) impacts EVERY student in the Novi Community School District and NEEDS the teamwork of volunteers to cover all the bases. We are looking to fill the roster for our IMPACT TEAM, which consists of participating on one of our seven committees, joining our Board of Trustees or simply adding your name to our Volunteer List to act as a pinch hitter when needed. Talents in finance, legal, marketing, fundraising and/or event-planning are never benched. Our impact is only as large as our roster. We’ll have an IMPACT TEAM informational breakfast on February 28th at 7:30am to discuss our mission, committees and ways to help.
Parents of Fourth Graders-Growth & Development Lesson
The 14th Annual Green Gala
Donations to the Novi Educational Foundation have allowed us to fund $17,280 in grants and programs at Village Oaks in just the last few years. The Green Gala is a premier event where parents and community members show their support for the great work that happens everyday in our school district.
The NEF and our presenting sponsors invite you to attend our 14th annual Green Gala on Saturday, March 21 at The Suburban Collection Showplace in Novi. The evening will include dinner, a silent auction, an escape room, casino gaming, a wine pull, an interactive photo mirror, and more!
The Killer Flamingos are returning to provide the entertainment.
Tickets are now available for purchase now on the NEF website. An early bird discount is available until February 29.
Money raised will benefit the students in the NCSD
Major VI from the High School will be performing
New this year - a dinner duet (steak and chicken) or a vegetarian/vegan/gluten free option
Please join us on 3/21 for an evening of fun and entertainment.
Remind Transportation Updates
If you don't have a smartphone, you can get text notifications for Village Oaks Bus updates. Text the message @cf3aa7 to the number 81010. If you're having trouble with 81010, try texting @cf3aa7 to 248-236-1777.
VO School Day Conversations
What is the difference between a need and a want?
At VO this year there have many opportunities to give back to those in need. Can you remember a time when you did something kind for someone who was in need without being asked to by an adult? How did it make you feel?
Can you name our Playwork Recess Rules (Be respectful, Be safe, and Have fun!)?
At VO, we have HEART!
In Novi Community School District we believe in promoting high expectations for academics, meeting the emotional well being of our students and celebrating positive behavior for all of our learners.
At Village Oaks Elementary, we are building a culture of collaboration, leadership, and citizenship. As a school community, we strive to:
- Have a growth mindset
- Empathize and show kindness
- Act responsibly
- Respect everyone
- Team up and collaborate with others
Last Leaderific Friday during Villas students teamed up to have a discussion about the importance of a Growth Mindset during March is Reading month!
FREE Family Fun Event for families impacted by Autism Spectrum Disorders
When: Saturday March 21st from 12-4pm.
Where: Oakland University Recreation Center
Event: Come for some family fun activities and information fair. No registration is needed.
Visit www.oakland.edu/oucares for more information.
Novi Mental Health Alliance--Parents Empowering Parents Program
Learn more about the Novi Mental Health Alliance by visiting the website at: https://www.novi.k12.mi.us/community/novi-mental-health-alliance
Volunteer and Donation Opportunities
Our VOICE (PTO Organization) is seeking volunteers for chairpersons for several of our committees. If you have interest in volunteering with VOICE during this school year, please check out the Sign Up Genius link below. If you'd like more information, please contact Debbie Luke at firstname.lastname@example.org
Yearbook Committee Seeking Photos
Do you have some great photos you would love to see in the yearbook?
Please submit them to the Yearbook Committee e-mail: VOYearbookPTO@gmail.com
Be sure to include a description of the event/activity in the photo, as well as the class if appropriate.
Save the date for Spring Fling! April, 24, 2020
We need many volunteers for this event to be successful. If you have any questions about a committee position please email email@example.com
Please consider volunteering by using the link below to sign up.
One of the things that makes our building so special is our diverse student population--we have families in our community who come from all over the world! To celebrate our global diversity we have hung flags in our cafeteria that represent many of the countries of our VO families. As a gift from VO retirees we were given flags of the following countries: Israel, India, United Kingdom, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Nigeria, South Korea, China, and USA. Thank you to our parents who have also donated the following flags: Poland, Singapore, Japan, Germany, Finland, Ireland, Nepal, Greece, Pakistan, Uruguay, Ecuador, Portugal, Spain, Central African Republic, South Africa, Wales, Iceland, Australia, Armenia, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Russia, Scotland and Yemen. If you would like to purchase a flag of your country of origin or to represent one of the many nationalities of our school please visit Amazon and search for an ANLEY 3x5 flag: VO Flags
Before purchasing and donating the flag to our school’s collection please contact me or one of our secretaries with the flag information so we can make sure that another family has not already ordered the same flag.
This year NCSD elementary schools will partner with Playworks to enhance the learning experiences for students throughout the district. Playworks is the leading nonprofit in Michigan and nationally using play to transform schools. A Playworks recess creates a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Please click on the link below and read the attached Playworks article to learn more about our partnership and Patrice our Playworks Coach!
3/12/20--Half Day for students 12:30pm Dismissal
3/13/20--End of second trimester
3/16/20--Beginning of third trimester
3/24/20--3rd Grade Concert 6:30pm-7:30pm
3/26/20--Bonaventure Skate Night 6:00pm-8:30pm
4/3/20--Celebration of Thinking Grades K, 1 & 2 9:15am-10:15am
4/3/20--Celebration of Thinking Grades 3 & 4 2:30pm-3:30pm
Parent Pick-up/Parking & Bus Stop Expectations
As you pick-up and drop off your children please be mindful of the following:
- Do not park in front of our neighbors' driveways or mailboxes.
- Park in our parking lot and keep your pet in your car during dismissal.
- For the safety of our students do not walk your children through our bus loop as students are loading/exiting our busses.
- Stay in your car as you drive through our car loop.
- Please do not drop off children before 8:55am. We do not have any supervision outside prior to this time.
- If you arrive late, please walk your child into the office and sign them in.
We ask that you remind your children that VO expectations/rules apply at our bus stops. We expect all of our students to be on their best behavior as they wait for their bus and we appreciate your help.
Thank you for your support!
Please remember if there is a change in your child's CARE schedule you need to notify Holly Bengle no later than 3:15. She will then contact the teachers. Holly Bengle can be reached at
firstname.lastname@example.org or (248) 449-1307.
VO 2018 National Blue Ribbon Exemplary School
Village Oaks Elementary
VO school hours: 9:08 am-4:00 pm
Office hours: 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Attendance line: 248.449.1301
Office phone number: 248.449.1300