Grade 2 News
Thursday, December 3, 2015
BMS ART SHOW
Teachers are sending home a permission slip this week to be signed and returned to school.
We could also use some parent chaperons to come with us! Please let your class teacher know if you are interested in joining!
Ways to help at home
- Continue to encourage practice through Raz Kids and Mathletics
- Try the links below for fun websites to practice measurement, nouns and verbs and mapping skills. There is also a video explaining strategies for adding 2-digit numbers
- For extra practice, encourage students to write or say creative sentences using their spelling words
- Notice irregular past tense verbs in readers (ex: eat, ate). Students can make a list at home and add them to our class lists
Unit 2: How we organize ourselves
Central Idea: Transportation systems are directly related to the needs of a community
Lines of Inquiry:
- Purpose of different transportation systems
- Factors that affect the kinds of systems that can be developed
- Relationship between transportation systems and the environment
Profiles: inquirer, thinker
Attitudes: appreciation, integrity, cooperation
Transportation, communities, environment, resources, kilometer, distance, arrival, departure, energy
- Review writing conventions (full stop, spacing, letter formation, capitalization)
- The 5 W's (Who, What, Where, When, Why)
- Using connectives (and, but, then, so, because, etc.)
- verbs and verb tenses (adding s, es, ed, ing)
- plural nouns (s, es, ies)
Mathematics concepts during this unit:
- measurement (km, m, cm)
- time (to hour, half hour, 15 minute intervals)
- local and simple maps (Cardinal directions, positional language)
Number Skills this semester (continued outside of the unit):
- Place value to 1,000
- Add and subtract 1 and 2 digit numbers
- Skip counting by 2, 5, 10 and 100 (forward and backward)
- Begin to interpret word problems
Grade 2 Learning in Action
Listen to Reading
2d is using QR codes to listen to stories on the Ipads.
2b's field trip at the Technic Museum
2b's field trip at the Techinic Museum
Students learn about Hannukah
Students make dreidels
Students read a new story and hunt for verbs in the past tense during language groups
Fun online math and language games!
Here is a video sharing a few strategies we use in the classroom to help students with adding two digit numbers.
Throughout the past weeks students have learned facts, celebrations and holiday symbols about different winter holidays, such as Channukkah, Christmas, Nikolaus, Sankt Martin or Aşure. We learned the difference between:
* A fact - Channukkah lasts 8 days.
* An opinion - I like the Advent calendar because children get a little surprise every day.
* A symbol - Chanukkia, Christmas tree
Students continue to work in their dictionaries in order to improve their writing. They are now looking up words and correct their spelling independently.
Ways to help at home
1. Practice looking up words in word list/dictionary.
2. Talk about facts and opinions about a holiday that you celebrate at home.