By: R.J. Palacio
Main Characters and Summary
- August Pullman: August, or Auggie to his friends, is the main character of Wonder. He might seem like a normal kid who likes sports and Star Wars, but when you see his face you know he's not an ordinary kid. August was born with what the doctors call "small anomalies." August can do normal things like other kids, but his face appears deformed. And when he starts school at Breech Prep his life becomes a wonder!
- Olivia Pullman: Olivia is August's older sister, but to her family and friends she is known as Via. Via is just starting high school, and everything is going well! She has a boyfriend and is in a lead role for a play. But when she wants her family to come see it she realizes that August will have to go too, which makes her tell her family how she really feels about August's face.
- Jack Will: Jack is August's best friend from the second that they meet at Breech Prep. Jack is one of the very few kids that don't mind August's face. But on Halloween day August catches Jack talking about him to the biggest bully in school, Julian.
- Julian: Julian is a kid in the 5th grade that saw August's face and immediately made fun of him. Eventually Julian turns the whole school against August. The only people left by August's side are Jack and Summer, but will they join Julian's side?
- Summer: Summer is one of the popular girls who sees the niceness in August and doesn't care what other people think. She sits next to August on the first day when she sees that he's all alone and that everyone's talking about him. But ever since the first day of school they have been sitting at the table usually by themselves or with other kids that have names to do with summer. Summer and August quickly became the best of friends.
Setting / Perspective
Setting: Wonder takes place in North River Heights, Connecticut.
Time period: Sometime between1999 and 2013.
Perspective: The perspective, or point of view, changes between six different people. It starts out with August, then to Via, next to Summer, Jack, then Justin, then back to August, next Miranda, and finally back to August.
Plot / Background Information
Plot: Wonder is all about August Pullman, August is a 10 year old boy that has a disease called small anomalies. When August starts the 5th grade at Breech Prep he realizes that he shouldn't hide his face from people or even worry about what they think about his messed up, or deformed, face. He soon sees that your personality is the real wonder of who you are! Pick up wonder and you won't want to put it down! I dare you not to fall in love with Auggie Pullman!
Background Information: On page four of Wonder, August tells you why he hasn’t been to school. “People think that I haven't gone to school because of the way I look, but it's not that. It's because of all the surgeries I've had. Twenty- Seven since I was born. The bigger ones happened before I was even four years old, so i don't remember those. But I've had two or three surgeries every year since then (some big, some small), and because I'm little for my age, and I have some other medical mysteries that doctors never really figured out, I used to get sick a lot. That's why my parents decided it was better if I didn't go to school, until now."