About John Cabot's background
- He worked as a merchant in the spice business. He also studied navigation and map making. For many decades John Cabot's activities were unknown.
- He was born in 1450 but, his birth certificate was lost at sea.
- He was always surrounded by boats and sailors
His Greatest Achievements
- In the summer of 1497, he crossed the Atlantic Ocean and discovered the main land of North America probably the Labrador Cost.
- Cabot became the first European explorer to discover the mainland of North America (Canada and the United States).
Interesting facts about john Cabot
- Whatever land he landed on he put it in King Henry VII name and scientist don't know where he landed, on mainland or Newfoundland, Canada.
- John Cabot'a landing in 1497 is generally thought to be the first European encounter with the North American continent since Leif Ericsson, and the Vikings, explored the land called Vinland in the 11th century.
- In May 1498 he sailed in command of 5 ships.
- He was born in 1450 but his birth certificate was lost at sea.
- His name was actually Giovanni Cabot.
- Documents have emerged that place Cabot in England in 1500
Impacts he had on our world today
"John Cabot." Europeanexplorers. N.p., 2014. Web. 28 Feb. 2014. <http://europeanexplorers.weebly.com/john-cabot.html>.
"John Cabot." History. N.p., 2014. Web. 28 Feb. 2014. <http://www.history.com/topics/exploration/john-cabot>.
"John Cabot Facts." Encyclopedia of World Biography, N.p.: n.p., 1998. N. pag. Biography in Context. Web. 10 Mar. 2014. <http://ic.galegroup.com/ic/bic1/ReferenceDetailsPage/ReferenceDetailsWindow?failOverType=&query=&prodId=BIC1&windowstate=normal&contentModules=&mode=view&displayGroupName=Reference&limiter=&u=libe79362&currPage=&disableHighlighting=true&displayGroups=&sortBy=&source=&search_within_results=&p=BIC1&action=e&catId=GALE%7CAAA000034351&activityType=&scanId=&documentId=GALE%7CK1631001069>.
Mattern, Joanne. The Travels of John and Sabastion Cabot. Austin, Texas: Steck-Vaughn company, 2001. Print.
"Picture of john cabot." I.dailymail.co.uk. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Mar. 2014. <http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/05/04/article-2139486-12EC0B5F000005DC-86_634x715.jpg>.
"Some facts about Cabot." Allaboutexplorers. N.p., 2014. Web. 6 Mar. 2014. <http://allaboutexplorers.com/explorers/cabot/>.