Island School PTA Newsletter
Message from Co-chairs
We would like to thank all students who sold raffle tickets and all parents and staff who purchased them. It was a fantastic result - we were able to raise in excess of HK$120,000 which will go towards purchasing equipment for Island School as well as the Nicola Myers and Kenneth McBride Memorial Fund. The nominated students of the scholarship awards will receive their award funds in a ceremony that will be held on May 25th at 10am in the school hall. Parents are very welcome to attend. The Raffle Audit will take place in late May and we would like to thank all of the families who answered our call to return any unsold raffle tickets.
As we head towards the end of the term, the PTA has been very busy preparing for the new school year in August. We have been working with the school to set dates for coffee mornings, the Annual General Meeting, Winter and Spring Fairs and many other events the PTA organise throughout the year. In addition, we have been updating and revamping PTA forms and information letters, as well as planning for the opening of the Uniform and Book shops in August.
We are always looking for volunteers and now is the time we invite all parents to sign up and join our wonderful group of volunteers! Please contact Sharon at the PTA office at - email@example.com if you have a few hours a month to spare or would like to volunteer on an ad-hoc basis. We would greatly appreciate your help. Everyone is welcome!
As you might be aware, the PTA shop manager, Ronnie Burton, will be retiring this year and the PTA is looking for a part-time Administrative Assistant. If you are interested in applying for this role, please see details below.
Amani Sue and Toni Flynn
Save The Date!
ATTENTION ALL YEAR 13 Parents!
The Year 13 graduation will be held on May 24th. The Parent Year 13 Reps would like to request the donation of small cookies/brownies/dessert bars for the event. If you are able to help out, please bring these snacks to the front desk (just outside the school hall) on the day of graduation.
Year 6 Welcome Evening
Year 6 Parents will be visiting our school for an information evening on May 30th.
This is for a great opportunity for them to feel welcomed to our community. If you are free and can help by serving snacks and drinks, please contact our Welcome Committee Coordinator, Aparna Bubna at firstname.lastname@example.org
Year 10 Career Day - May 30
The Year 10 Career Day is a joint initiative by Island School & the ISPTA. We aim to provide students with the unique opportunity to interact with and hear from a variety of professionals pursuing different careers.
Professionals with backgrounds spanning Law, Architecture, Media, Technology, Psychology, Financial Services, Engineering, and Accounting etc. There will be Speakers, Career Representatives as well as Q&A sessions.
In a nutshell, A Wealth of Experience In One Room!
This represents not just a great opportunity for our children but also a wonderful way for the parent community to get involved. We are looking for individuals who would be willing to share their work life experiences with the Year 10 students at the career day. If you would like to help, please email email@example.com. We will be happy to give you more details.
Thank you to our fabulous Bookshop Mums!!
We would like to thank everyone who attended the 'Pot Luck Lunch' on Tuesday 14th May. It was a great opportunity for bookshop volunteer parents to come together in an informal and relaxed environment and from all the smiles and chatter going on, a good time was had by all. We wish to thank Angela Socha for organizing the lunch and Ushie Tuck for hosting us in her lovely home.
Farewell to Ronnie!
The pot luck lunch was also a wonderful opportunity to say farewell to Ronnie Burton, who has been the manager of the Uniform and Book Shops. After eight years with the ISPTA, she will be retiring this year. It is with sadness that we say farewell. We are delighted that so many of you came out to show your appreciation for the dedication and hard work that Ronnie has put in over her 8 years. We would like to take this opportunity to wish her good health and happiness in her retirement.
Year 11 Parent Dinner
Congratulations to the Year 11 students who celebrated the end of their school year in style. The Year 11 parents were invited to the pre-dinner drinks where we all marveled at how grown up our children looked. As our children look forward, parents couldn’t help but look back at how quickly the time had gone by.
Below are some photos from the Year 11 Parent Dinner.
Year 7, 8, 9 & 10 Coffee Mornings
They covered a variety of curriculum and school updates by Island School staff. Topics included the school redevelopment update, Island time, digital citizenship, revision skills for exams and the options process.
We strongly encourage all parents to try and attend these coffee mornings in the upcoming academic year, as they are a great way to meet other parents & teachers and hear about all the important news and events from Island School Staff.
Some photos below...
We wish all Year 11 and Year 13 students good luck in their exams!
Book Your School Bus Early!
Look for an email on May 31!
The new PTA membership information sheet, bus application forms and new bus routes & fees will be sent to parents via email on May 31st. They will also be included in the Island School Handbook.
To avoid disappointment, we suggest that you send in your bus application form and all the relevant documents as soon as possible so we can process these for the new academic year.
PTA SHOP CLOSURES
Thinking of Joining the PTA Committee?
The committee is made up of a fantastic group of parent volunteers. Our focus is on building community and working with our school. We have quite a few parents whose children are graduating this year and we are looking for parents to fill these vacancies.
We are particularly interested in parents who would like to share their skills and talents and enjoy working in a team. The committee meets once a month from September to June. If you feel that you are able to attend these meetings and would like to be more actively involved in the PTA please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Currently, we are looking to fill these roles:
· Graphic Design
· Raffle Coordinator (A Raffle instructions manual is available and the coordinator will be working closely with the PTA Administrator)
· Parent/ Year Rep/ Volunteer Coordinator (Becky Brown is stepping down from this role to focus on the Fairs). If you like meeting people, this is the perfect role for you.
· Fair Officers (to assist the Fair Coordinators)
Our Fair Coordinators are looking for enthusiastic and organized people who would like to help with the organization of the Fairs. Each person would have a specific role but would work as part of a team, fully supported!
Job Vacancy - Part-time ISPTA Administrative Assistant
We will soon be interviewing for the role of Administrative Assistant. This position will be part-time with the occasional requirement to work up to 4 days per week around special events, such as the school fair and raffle.
The successful applicant will be responsible for assisting the ISPTA Administrator to ensure the smooth running of the office and shops.
• Office experience and strong knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Enthusiasm to work with students, school staff and parents
• Friendly customer service attitude
• Fluency in English language
Work Hours: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 10:00am – 2:30pm
Interested? Please send your CV to: ISPTAL@gmail.com
Volunteers Needed to staff PTA shops in August!
The ISPTA shops will re-open on August 13. If you are in Hong Kong and can spare a few hours we would very much appreciate your help!
Many parents and students will need to purchase uniforms and stationery in those first two weeks, so the more hands on deck, the better!
We would like parent volunteers to help from 9am-12:30pm OR 12:30pm-4:00pm, from August 12 to August 30.
Please email if you are able to assist on email@example.com
Glenealy School Fundraiser - Parent DInner Dance
Saturday, 8th June
The goal of the evening is to raise money for the Glenealy School Library redevelopment project as well as raising money for the "Bring Me a Book" charity organisation.
Tickets are $850 each. This price includes all food and all drinks for the evening at Tamarind restaurant.
This is an adults-only event. Please email Natasha Headley on firstname.lastname@example.org for ticketing information.
See map details below for place and time.
Saturday, June 8th 2013 at 8pm
2F, Sun Hung Kai Centre, 30 Harbour Road, Wan Chai
Island School Cookbook
Parents, students and teachers have all contributed to the Island School Cookbook. You will find recipes from all over the world. Start delighting your family and friends with these tried and tested recipes that have been passed on from one generation to the next in this easy to use cookbook.
The cost is only $100 and can be purchased at the PTA office. Come in and ask Sharon, the PTA Administrator, for a copy of your own!
PTA Committee meeting minutes summary for May 6, 2013
• Becky and Ushie were heartily congratulated on a marvelous result!
• A big thank you also went to Kate Sommerville for her wonderful contribution in organizing the acts
• Feedback on the entertainment and food was especially positive
• Gross income (provisional) was approximately $114,000, with a net income of $90,000 after expenses
• It was agreed that all existing hardback exercise / note books will be replaced with soft back books to reduce the weight that students need to carry in their bags
• The shop requires 20 volunteers to help during the week of August 12th (either morning or whole day shifts). All members are encouraged to recruit volunteers
• It was agreed that for next academic year the committee will meet on the second Monday of every month (except for October)
• The Y10 careers fair will be held in the lower drama studio. Three speakers will present (a lawyer, a banker and a news anchor). Students will sign up to listen to 2 of these speakers and then will rotate around 12 career “stations” in the hall.
• We need volunteers at careers stations in fields such as:
o Hotels / travel / tourism (Toni will approach a contact)
o Sports management
o Arts (Sharon will approach the GM of the HK Phil.)
• Chris noted that there had been an unusually large number of applications for the memorial award this year
• 88 of the applicants will receive the award, representing just over half of the total that applied
• The ceremony will be on Saturday May 25th at 10.00am and all committee members are welcome to attend
• Green week was organized by student group WANBO and funds were raised for various environmental causes, shark preservation being one theme
• Y12 students organized events to help the victims of the Sichuan earthquake. They did an excellent job raising awareness about the difficulties of fundraising for charities, bringing particular attention to the challenge of transparency and of identifying where and how the money is channelled and of ensuring that the funds are appropriately used. This tied in well with the junior debate on ethics and the practicalities of raising money
• IB exams started last week
• Y13 had their last day of lessons a few weeks ago and Y11 students put together a very successful dinner dance
• Current account stands at $1,234,518
• PTA membership is at 96%, representing an increase of 23% year on year. We have 907 family members
Island School PTA is the owner of the copyright in all content of this publication. Distributing, modifying, copying or using any content of this publication in any manner for public or commercial purposes without written permission from Island School is strictly prohibited. Views expressed in this publication do not necessarily represent those of Island School or the English Schools Foundation.