Messages from Memorial
Dear Memorial Families,
The first quarter's report card will be available on Friday, October 15 on Skyward. We will also be sending out information about Parent Teacher Conferences soon. Those are scheduled to take place on October 20 and 21. We are anticipating offering in person and virtual options.
Please consider doing the following to help us keep a safe learning evvironment at school:
- Label backbacks, water bottles, hoodies, coats, etc... with student's names. The lost and found is growing)
- Put a backup mask in your child's backpack.
- Keep toys at home.
- Drop off & pick up students along the curb on Milton Street only.
- Do not use the parking lots at arrival and dismissal. (These are not supervised and it puts our walkers in danger.)
- Keep dismisal changes to emergency only.
- Call the office or email Mrs. Remijan by 9 a.m. each day your child will be home from school.
- Please keep your child home if you are awaiting Covid test results for your child or anyone in the household.
Please call the school office if you have any questions.
Thank you for your help and support.
Mrs. Debra Misecko, Principal
Some Important Dates
1 - Walk - A -Thon
6 - After School Sports - grade 4
8 - Last Day of the first grading period
11 & 12 - No School for Fall Break
13 - PTO Meeting at 3:30 at Memorial
15 - First Grading Period Report Cards Available on Skyward Parent Portal
20 - Family Night at Noodles and Company
20 & 21 Parent Teacher Conferences
21 & 22 - 1/2 Day for Students (K-8 only) for Parent Teacher Conferences
27 - After School Sports - Grade 5
28 - PTO Fall Festival
Tuesdays & Thursdays - 7:45 a.m. - Spell Bowl
Tuesdays & Thursdays - 3:30 - 5:00 Girls on the Run
Tuesdays - Robotics Team at 3:30 (starts October 19)
Fridays - Choir at 8 a.m.
2 - Election Day - eLearning today
3 - After School Sports - Grade 4
10 - PTO Meeting at 3:30
10 - After School Sports - Grade 5
11 - Happy Veteran's Day
15 - Spell Bowl Competition
17 - PTO family night at Chipotle (4-8pm)
24-26 - No School - Happy Thanksgiving
October is Bullying Prevention Month
Check out your child's report card on Skyward Parent Portal on October 15!
Support your school community by applying for one of our open positions! Our essential support services departments help make the teaching and learning process as smooth as possible.
VCS has openings for:
● Substitute Teachers
● Food Service (Substitute and Permanent)
● Bus Drivers (Substitute and Permanent)
● Instructional Aides (Substitute and Permanent)
● School Nurses (Substitute and Permanent)
Porter County Educational Services is also hiring Instructional Aides that will be assigned to the
Valparaiso Schools buildings. View PCES open positions and job descriptions here:
Many open positions allow for working during school hours only and follow the same
schedule as students!
Impact students in your community by joining the VCS team! View all open positions and job
descriptions here: www.valpo.k12.in.us/apply/.
MEMORIAL PTO NEWS
We are so grateful for the hardworking PTO Executive Board.
President - Kristen Elinkowski
Vice President - Rose Gutshall
Treasurer - Megan Taylor
Secretary - Rae Smedley
All Memorial parents and guardians are considered members of PTO. Please join us at the next PTO meeting on Wednesday, October 13 at 3:30 P.M. We will meet in person at Memorial.
You can also learn more about the activities of PTO on the Memorial PTO Website.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT ON THE WALK A THON!
Other ways to support Memorial PTO while shopping
- Go to smile.amazon.com, and search for Memorial Elementary PTO Inc.
- Shop as usual, Amazon gives us credit and pays us directly.
Box Tops - (Grocery Items)
- Download Box Tops App (no more cutting) and create an account.
- Search for Memorial Elementary School
- Scan receipts. That's all. Box Tops keeps track and sends money to school.
Mabel's Labels - (Customized name and storage labels)
- Go to campaigns.mabelslabels.com, and search Memorial Elementary PTO Valparaiso
- Place order. Portion of sales go back to PTO.