By Luis Osorno
Founder of Islam: Muhammad
Muhammad is the founder of Islam. He was born in 570 B.C. At the age of 5 he became an orphan but when he got older he married a rich widow but wasn't very satisfied with having everything handed to him. He decided to leave everything and start meditating. One day in deep meditation he received revelations from Allah. His teachings attacked the corrupt society and that lead to his persecution and of his followers. He later became a political and religious leader.
5 Pillars of Islam
- Belief- believing there is no deity but the one god Allah
- Prayer- 5 times a day
- Charity- giving back to the poor
- Fasting- not eat so the only thing on your mind is Allah
- Pilgrimage- visiting Mecca once in a lifetime
The Two Branches
- believe the rulers after Muhammad only need to be followers of Muhammad
- most of the population is Sunni today
- believe that rulers should descend directly from Muhammad's bloodline.
- known for being extremists
Islam was founded in 622 B.C. Muhammad was the founder and the Qu'ran was written. The rise of Islam was slow but it is now the 2nd most followed religion.