Slate Hill Newsletter
September 5, 2022
Dear Slate Hill Families,
I hope all of you are enjoying this long weekend with your family! If you missed the opportunity to attend Curriculum Night last week, please email with your child's teacher if you have any questions or did not receive their slides or packets of information.
Throughout the school year and daily we review our Slate Hill Expectations, and this week we focused on practicing one of them, "Be Safe." We had our first lockdown drill where our teachers spent time discussing our lockdown procedures, various drills, rally points, etc. Our K-1 students were also introduced to a safety book, "I'm Not Scared... I'm Prepared" by our Library Media Specialists within the first two weeks of school to hep with this practice. I am very proud of our students and how well they did during this drill. We will continue to do various safety drills monthly and throughout the school year.
Please review these reminders about dismissal time.
- If you have a transportation change for your student on a particular day, please contact the Slate Hill Office by 2:15pm to inform us of the change.
- If your child is absent, please be sure to call the office or email our attendance secretary, Jessica Porter at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please included your child's name, reason for absence, classroom teacher and name of the parent.
- We ask that parents please follow the directions of the staff members on duty so that we can keep your child safe during arrival and dismissal.
- All visitors are required to sign in at the office when they enter. Please be sure to have your driver's license or photo ID with you.
Last week we had 9 positive cases. If you would happen to need a COVID home test for your student, we still have them available in the Health Clinic. Please contact the school office and let us know that you would like one.
Thank you for partnering with us this year! We are excited to see our parents this week at our First PTA meeting on Thursday, September 8th at 7pm in our library. Babysitting will be provided. Also please be sure to check out our district newsletter for this month, September District Newsletter.
The Adventure Awaits at the Slate!
Julie Gulley, Slate Hill Principal
Slate Hill is Collecting Pop Tabs!
Slate Hill is collecting pop tabs again this school year!
The Ronald McDonald House collects the aluminum pop tabs from cans. They are able to generate thousands of dollars from our pop tab collection program every year and that helps them keep the lights on! For more information, email email@example.com
How can I collect my tabs? Grab a clean container and start collecting your tabs! It could be a plastic bag, a jar, a bucket, or whatever else you have around. Please bring collected tabs to the Slate Hill Office and place in the Pop Tab Bucket. We are collecting all year long!
100 Mile Club
With the new school year starting, students may need a confidence boost from home during the school day. A great way for you to give your students a confidence boost is by sliding a little note in their lunch box. If your student doesn’t pack a lunch, no issue, slide the note in their folder, backpack, or jacket that they may find during the day. Not only does it boost the confidence of your student but makes their day as well!
Stefanee Loges, MA
Licensed Professional School Counselor
Slate Hill Elementary School
A Note From the Health Office
- We hope you will join our PTA this year and support the great things they are doing for our Slate Hill Stars! You can join by completing the paper form that was sent home with your student(s), or by using this link. https://slatehillpta.memberhub.com/store
Thank you to all the parents who have already joined the PTA; the popsicle party winner will be announced soon!
- The first PTA meeting will be Thursday, September 8th in the Slate Hill Library at 7:00 PM. We hope to see you there!
- Marco's Pizza Night! On September 14th, if you dine at Marco's Pizza (1361 Worthington Centre Drive) part of the proceeds will go toward the PTA. More details coming soon.
- Fall Mumkin Sale started August 24th. Online sales go through September 7th. Delivery date will be Sept 14-Sept 26 (exact date TBA). Students who are able to sell at least 2 items receive a prize, and the Top 3 sellers will win a lunch with Mrs. Gulley!
Also, joining Kroger Community Rewards is a great way to support the PTA! The program is free and does not take anything away from your Fuel Points or any other Kroger programs. To get started, click here! Our organization is Slate Hill PTA or use code IW349.
Ready For Reading
Slate Hill Elementary is looking for volunteers to build reading skills with kindergarten students. Even if you only have 30 minutes a week, our kindergarten students would love to welcome you! Read below for more information and click HERE or on the flyer to register. Following registration, a program coordinator from our school will be in touch with more information.
Start With Hello Week
Slate Hill Elementary will join other Worthington elementary schools with participation in "Start With Hello" week. Start With Hello is an initiative started by the Sandy Hook Promise Organization aimed at creating connection and community among students with a goal of ending social isolation. Throughout the week of September 19th, Start With Hello programming in our school will promote student leadership in decreasing social isolation and increasing empathy, working toward a culture of inclusion and connectedness in our school. Below is an overview of themes for each day.
Care After School is Hiring!
We are reaching out to share a job opportunity within the Worthington School District. We are Care After School, a self-funded non-profit that provides after school care to children in the eleven Worthington elementary schools. We currently have Recreation Leader ($15/hour) openings to start as early as next week. Hours 2-6 pm, M-F and we operate when school is in session (End time can be flexible after 5 if needed). Your elementary school-age child(ren) may attend CAS at no charge.
Check us out at careafterschool.com and apply online at your convenience.
Call or email Kathy or Leslie with any questions.
Assistant Director/Hiring Manager Leslie Rubinoski, firstname.lastname@example.org, 614-431-2266 ext. 225.
Director Kathy Rayner, email@example.com, 614-431-2266 ext. 222.
Becoming a Volunteer in Worthington Schools
1. Volunteer has lived in Ohio for the past 5 years - Must complete an online background check, click Volunteer Background Check (https://www.worthington.k12.oh.us/Page/3014) to access the form. When Approved, receive a Volunteer Badge in the mail from BIB/Secure Volunteer. (Form can also be found on our District Website under Quick Links - Volunteer Background Check)
2. Volunteer has not Lived in Ohio for the past 5 years - Must schedule an appointment with HR to get a background check. Click HERE (https://go.nemoqappointment.com/Booking/Booking/Index/WSDBC) to schedule an appointment.
1. Volunteer wants to chaperone an overnight trip OR supervise students without a teacher present - Schedule an appointment with HR to get a background check. Click HERE (https://go.nemoqappointment.com/Booking/Booking/Index/WSDBC) to schedule an appointment. Cost: $50
Have you completed your Emergency Data Review for your child?
Parents can access their own login credentials by clicking the Password Recovery link under Quick Links on the Worthington Schools main page. They enter their email address (it needs to be the email that we have on file for them) and will immediately get an email sent to them with their district-provided username and password, which they can use to login to the Parent Portal as well as Infinite Campus.
My Payments Plus
My Payments Plus is where you will pay school fees, Full day Kindergarten tuition and put money on your child's lunch account. Look under Parent Resources on the district website for this website (mypaymentsplus.com).
For My Payments Plus, parents can find their child's 9-digit Student ID # by logging in to Infinite Campus and clicking on Today. The 9-digit student number is under student name, visible on both the app and when accessing Infinite Campus through the Parent Portal or the Infinite Campus website.
Grade 1-3: $42.00
Grade 4-5: $36.00
If you feel you qualify for free and reduced lunch, we suggest you fill this form out online (see above under Food Service). If you qualify your student's fees could be free or reduced.
Slate Hill Elementary School
Follow us on Instagram! @slatehillstars