Why is keeping your child in a car dangerous?
Keeping your children in the car is a bad idea. Leaving your children in the car is dangerous, your endangering their health and lifes.
- Young children are at greater risk of geting heatstroke and other health risks, as their body tempeture reaches dangerous leavels.
- Young children are more sensitive to heat then anyone alse. Their body tempeture can rise 3-5 times faster.
- The tempeture of the inside of the car can be 20-30 degrese hotter than outside.
- The tempeture of the inside of the car can reach dangerous leavels quikely. The first 5 minuites 75% of the tempeture risers.
- Take your children out of the car when you leave.
- Don't leave your children in the car, even for a minuite.
- Make a 'look before you leave' routine whenever you leave the car.
- Prevent your children from playing in cars.
- Never use your car as a substitute 'babysiter'.
- Never leave valuables in your car, including you children.
- When your children are missing, look in water areas, and in your car and in any nearby cars, as well in boots.
On summer road trips:
Provide plenty of cool water and fluids throughout the journey.
Dress kids in lightweight and easy fit clothing.
When planning a long journey, consider travelling in the cooler hours of the day.
What do I do if I find a kid in a car by themselves?
- If you notice that a child has been left unattended in a vehicle call 000 and ask for the Fire Brigade.
- Give your location, the vehicle registration number, the approximate age of the child and the condition of the child.
- If the car is unlocked, open the doors and shield windows with a blanket etc. and wait for emergency services or safely try to remove the child from the vehicle if you are concerned about the child’s condition as every second counts!