Activities and Events
Record Low Temperature - -66 Degrees Fahrenheit
June through September, daytime - 70 to 80 Degrees Fahrenheit
June through September, nighttime - can go below freezing
Summer afternoons, many thunderstorms
Spring and Fall, daytime - 30 to 60 Degrees Fahrenheit
Spring and Fall, cold nighttime - teens to single digit
Winter high, daytime - 0 to 20 Degrees Fahrenheit
Winter, nighttime - below 0 Degrees Fahrenheit
Precipitation, rain - ranges from 15 inches to 80 inches
Precipitation, snow - possible any month of the year, 150 inches average
Tornadoes - very rare
2) There are only 30 active super volcanoes in the world and Yellowstone is one of them and the only one to be located on land.
3) Yellowstone Park contains one jail.
4) Yellowstone hit a record number of visitors in 1992. Over 3 million visitors came in one year.
5) Yellowstone Park is larger than Rhode Island and Delaware combined!
6) Yellowstone has 50 mammal species, 311 bird species, 18 fish species, 6 reptile species, 4 amphibian species, and 5 endangered or threatened species.
7) Approximately 5% of the park is covered by water; 15% is grassland, and 80% is forested.
8) Yellowstone Park has the largest concentration of free roaming wildlife in all of the lower 48 states.
9) 96% of Yellowstone is in Wyoming, 3% in Montana, and 1% in Idaho.
10) Yellowstone Park has about 300 active geysers and about 10,000 thermal features.
11) The average year round temperature of Yellowstone is 35 degrees fahrenheit.
12) There are over 40 major waterfalls in the park.
13) Old Faithful (located in the park) erupts every 91 minutes.